Magic Classes For Kids!!!

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hello Everyone

So...I´ve been asked to give magic classes to kids in a school as a part of summer classes...while there still sometime to start I´ve been deciding what I am going to do...now, I have given classes before to adults...and I am really wondering what can I teach the kids (besides...there is a lot of money involved!!) and I have some time to get ready...or even deciding not to do it...

What are your thoughts about this?

May 15, 2011
Simple tricks. Card tricks, floating ring, torn and restored paper maybe. It depends on the age group. 9 year olds can typically do more than 5 year olds.

I think you certainly should do it! It would look nice on a resume, and could be very rewarding for you in the long run.

Why don't you look into teaching them the very basics, like cups and balls, ropes, vanishing milk, etc. Another idea is like house hold magic.. things they can make from stuff at home, craft like, and do magic with them. example: Cutting a construction paper disk out and gluing it to the mouth of a cup, then putting it face down on another mat of construction paper same color... put the cup over a coin and wallah, coin vanishes. Simple simple kids stuff.

Depending on the ages, card tricks may be too advanced. But you may be able to teach them sponge balls, if their fine motor skills are up to par.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You could develop a whole course from Mark Wilson's Complete Course with some additions from Scarne on Card Tricks and Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. Also, the Fulves "Self Working" books have a lot of material. You can teach card tricks to kids who are six or older. You just have to keep the effects appropriate to their age. But you need to do more than just card effects.

A lot depends on how old the children are and how long the class is going to be. That is, there is a difference for teaching 5 year olds for a half hour (where you would teach a couple of tricks, but it should include a lot of performance on your part) and teaching 9 year olds for an hour a day for week (where there would be more structure, practice and performance by the children).

One of the biggest stumbling blocks for young performers is actually performing. Especially with the more complicated routines that require a lot of interaction with the spectators. So, there should be a lot of performing. If it is a week long, you might want to think of having a show for the parents at the end of the week where the kids can perform what they have learned (and video taping it so the kids can get a copy).

You also might want to think about assembling a magic kit for the kids. It might include two decks of cards (one red, one blue -- bridge size if they are under 10), a children's TT, some silks, gimmick tricks (drawer box, ball vase, etc.) if the kids are younger, some rope, sponge balls and maybe one effect that is different for each child (like Silk Blendo, Sponge Ball Blendo, rising card, Hovercard, etc.) which they can use as part of their performance. If the kids are 10 or older, you might want to include a selection of basic gaff cards (double back, double face, blank back, blank face, short card) and stripper deck, a one-way deck, an invisible deck or a Svengali deck.

I've got lots of ideas and would be glad to discuss futher.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Reality One is correct. You want to put together a type of kit to give each child that includes basically everything he just listed. Yeah, to some of the kids they might seem trivial or beginner, however I guarantee that the students will not know how to "present" the effect with meaningful patter...etc.

Depending on the age range and knowledge, there might be a need for two courses / classes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results