Magic or cardistry?

Jul 19, 2010
Hi guys, I just wondered what you think is the best and most impressive and what you most like to watch. A really well performed card effect, without any flourshy stuff, just elegant and smooth. Or an effect where flourshing and card magic is combined? :D Also tell me why ;)

//Carl Stanley

Dec 10, 2010
For me, just elegant and smooth. As long as the moves are gracious and well done, I find it more impressive than when fancy flourishes are combined with the trick. But then again thats coming from a magician who looks at tricks all the time. It really depends on who your showing the trick to.... (Businessmen at a Meryl Lynch convention = Smooth and Elegant handling)(Teenagers at a party = Fancy Flourishes).

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
I prefer magic sometimes with no flourishes and sometimes with the flourishes. It all depends on the trick. If im performing for my family and friends, i add the cardistry because they know i am a card guy so i show off for entertainment purposes. However, if im performing to someone on the streets or a stranger sat at a table, i dont quite show off as much. All i will focus on is how smooth the trick looks, not how flashy it looks.
Hope that solves your problem slightly. :)

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Magic and cardistry are two very different things. Really, the only thing that they have in common are the cards. With that being said, I love cardistry videos. I like watching them more than magic videos. Its flashy, could be fast or slow, and extremely beautiful. The combination of the beauty of cardistry itself AND the beauty of the right music and video editing just makes cardistry videos such a joy to watch.

For me, just elegant and smooth. As long as the moves are gracious and well done, I find it more impressive than when fancy flourishes are combined with the trick. But then again thats coming from a magician who looks at tricks all the time. It really depends on who your showing the trick to.... (Businessmen at a Meryl Lynch convention = Smooth and Elegant handling)(Teenagers at a party = Fancy Flourishes).

Hell, that's pretty much how I feel.

I recall Eric Jones saying (I can't remember exactly how he put it) that when he performs for higher class gigs, and he wants to do Card to Mouth that it's not really professional to be sticking cards in your mouth. Instead, he puts it in his breast pocket. Different situations call for different approaches.

Personally, I enjoy both. There's not really much to explain. I simply appreciate each style for what it is.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results