Any medical conditions preventing your practice?

Nov 13, 2010
Glendora, CA
Hey Theory11.
So I've been practicing magic for about four years now, but still below decent level. I'll say, I'm definitely a hell of a lot better than when I started back in '07 but four years is a ridiculous amount of time to not become significantly better. I remember the biggest problem I had the past four years was the condition of my hands. They would repeatedly sweat, even after washing, drying and washing again. I couldn't handle a deck of cards or coins for more than five minutes at a time. As far as I can remember, even prior to picking up magic, it was always a problem for me, socially and for basic everyday issues. I couldn't physically touch anyone without getting them soaked and I couldn't read a book for extended periods without soiling the pages. Recently I found out that I have a medical condition known as hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is a condition in which a sympathetic nerve overacts constantly and kicks your sweat glands no matter what temperature it is; hot or cold. I'm going to get treated for it pretty soon. Now, I'm not trying to make it sounds God awful, I mean, I'm still alive, but it just made me wonder if anyone here has any condition, medical or other, that has affected their practice in magic? And if so, how did you deal with it? Thanks in advance guys.

- Mat

I've heard from a lot of other guys that have Hyperhidrosis. Not to diminish anything, but it seems like it is quite common. I think I might have this condition. I haven't looked into it. However, if I am really practicing, I can ruin a deck in just a day or two from the sweat. It is ridiculous. We both can understand how that affects us as magicians. It can be annoying. I don't know if you have heard of Rene Lavand, but he is an amazing magician... and he only has one hand. Look up some of his stuff. It is amazing how people can overcome and not let a handicap defeat them.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
While the condition does affect a relatively high percentage of folks you will find the converse as well, Dai Vernon used to complain about having "dry" hands as do many others that must rely on hand-lotions that aren't greasy, etc. there are actual products out in some shops that address this as well as the "damp" palm problem so you might want to do some looking around. The lotion I found was in an Artist Supply store and if I recall it is called "Dry Hand"

When it comes to disabilities and working "with" them as a performer, there is a very extensive list that includes at least a dozen old gents that endured terrible strokes and yet they bounced back in a big way. I know of at least six working performers with MS (myself included) who rely on wheelchairs or other supports. There's well over two-dozen deaf individuals that can be found in the various forums with Ron Jaxon leading the pack when it comes to commercial success. If I'm not mistaken there's a couple of guys and I believe a young lady who are all legally blind and yet they are able to work.

I can't help but feel that individuals that honest love a particular thing will find a way of doing it, no matter what. When I shattered my hands (I was 16ish) my mother came to realize that magic would always be part of my life as I began working out palming techniques, etc. with tears streaming down my cheeks the pain and challenge was so great. But then we find others out there with exceptional stories such as the guy that fell 30 feet onto concrete while attempting a Straight Jacket escape that went wrong. . . though he'll never be his former cocky self, Mike still does shows and does well for himself.

Mier Yidid the man with the vanishing fingers literally lost one of his digits in a car accident some years ago; literally a key part of his original act. But he's moved forward, through the challenge.

So having sweaty palms ain't not'n; wait till you burn your face off because of a flash-back while fire-eating, or you're arms are drenched in blood because of a handcuff or shackle problem during an escape or worse, your back is soaked in blood because your pet leopard wanted to play. . . all of it is real and very much part of true show biz.

I have a condition called Rinos (I have no idea how to spell it) Syndrome that causes my hands to practically go dead and numb in cold weather. As you can imagine this makes it particularly hard to perform outside when it's not 80 degrees and sunny. This isn't exactly crippling, but I thought I might share it.

Sep 1, 2007
mastic, ny
I have a condition called Barrett's Esophagus. It is a pre-cancerous condition in the throat (for me just a few centimeters above the stomach). What the condition does is actually shrink my throat down to where I will not be able to swallow normal food correctly. It will get stuck in my throat almost as if I'm choking but I can still breath. (up to 15 surgeries so far, 1 every few months to correct the problem)
An average persons esophagus is about 18mm wide...at one point my throat shrunk down to 3mm.
Although this condition doesn't prevent me from practicing or performing magic, it actually helps me relax my nerves or stress from the disease.
I'm on pills twice a day and most likely for the rest of my life (mind you I'm only 21 right now)
Picking up a deck of cards, or performing to friends and family helps me forget my troubles and have fun in that moment. Having this disease brings on a lot of stress, anxiety etc etc. A deck of cards alone can help me with that.
So if you have a medical condition, don't stop from doing what you love. If you have sweaty hands then that just means you'll go through decks faster then the average person, no biggy. Don't let your condition get to your head and do what you love.

- Sean

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I'll say, I'm definitely a hell of a lot better than when I started back in '07 but four years is a ridiculous amount of time to not become significantly better.
Condition or no condition I don't think 4 years is a particularly long time in magic. To make significant changes to your skill level you have to practice all the time and then put that practice in to performance situations when you're under more pressure. If you practice things frequently with the proper technique it will become part of you in your muscle memory and you will do moves effortlessly without even thinking.

There's videos of a guy (at magic con I think) doing card magic at a good standard with irregular arms, I can't remember what disease he has but it goes to show that almost nothing can get in the way of stopping people from practicing magic.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Condition or no condition I don't think 4 years is a particularly long time in magic. To make significant changes to your skill level you have to practice all the time and then put that practice in to performance situations when you're under more pressure. If you practice things frequently with the proper technique it will become part of you in your muscle memory and you will do moves effortlessly without even thinking.

There's videos of a guy (at magic con I think) doing card magic at a good standard with irregular arms, I can't remember what disease he has but it goes to show that almost nothing can get in the way of stopping people from practicing magic.

I just had to repeat this post because there's a huge truth in it (mixed with a few others) and that is the point about practice and time; FISM Winner Richard Ross worked on his Linking Ring routine for over two years before showing it to anyone in public. Fred Kapps is said to have worked close to ten years perfecting his Salt Pour and there are countless other examples in our history where the "legends" literally worked till their fingers bled. . . just as a concert violinist would have to do and btw. . .we should be doing if we take this art seriously -- there's a huge difference between knowing how to play a piano and being able to do so as a heralded maestro in the great music halls around the globe.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results