What do you wear?

Just was curious about what do you guys wear when you are performing.

I usually get into a tee with denim and my all time favorite white blazer :)

Also, who do you guys think is the BEST dressed magician in the industry!!!

:)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I wear a suit and a tie. You'd be surprised how people treat you when you walk into their event in a suit rather than ragged jeans and a graphic T.

I usually try to wear a button down shirt with dress pants and a blazer. Sometimes I throw in a bowler derby hat to finish the look.

I heard this from Jeff McBride, "Dress like you have somewhere better to be. You could always be going to a better mosh pit."

I wear a suit and a tie. You'd be surprised how people treat you when you walk into their event in a suit rather than ragged jeans and a graphic T.

Brother, just wanted to ask you this. How do you look different then the client and his/her guests in that attire???

I believe you do corporate shows and most people in that kind of setting are dressed in ties and suits. So how do we manage to look different or magical :)

I am sure this info will be very handy for everyone here on how you can look the BEST yet different then the lot.

Thx Bro
M.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Great question. When you are at another venue / gig where everyone is in a suit and tie, some people will tell you to go ahead and wear a tux. Best place to get one is when all of the tuxedo stores do their end of the year inventory blow out sale. You can get one for like $50.00 and that is coat, pants, vest, etc.

Have I done that yet...? No because teaching is my day job and I don't book enough high end jobs to have the need for one.

To be brutally honest I don't do a TON of corporate / company stuff but when I have, it was at a company X-mas party and people were not in suits. They were more casual in just polos and dress shirts. I was still a step above in my suit though.

If it is a wedding reception and I know there are going to be a lot of guys in shirts and ties...I sometimes will even skip the tie, and wear a dress shirt under the sports coat but leave the color flapped open outside of the jacket.

Other entertainers will tell you to go out and purchase a suit that is WAAAAYY off color compared to the rest of the crowd so that you stick out. For example: I have a friend in our IBM ring that wears a bright red suit. I for some reason cannot bring myself to do that but to each their own.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
This is a really subjective question and it depends on entirely on the event, the season, the weather, your own personal style. blah blah.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Randy, you are exactly correct as well. If I'm just headed to the bar with a friend and it is a non paying gig...I definitely wear jeans and a t-shirt.

When it is 90 degrees outside and sunny, and it is a paying gig, I normally still wear a sports coat but with a nice v neck solid T-shirt underneath. I'm probably going to move towards a vest though, long sleeve shirt with sleeves rolled up.

If I'm tying balloon animals outdoor for 3 hours straight in the heat...I may even just wear khaki cargo shorts and a nice polo tucked in with a belt on.

There are a lot of factors that come into play when selecting your attire unless you are someone like Benji who is strictly a corporate worker and knows he is indoors / air conditioning at every gig.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
What I wear changes from situation to situation. In general I wear a button-down shirt with dress pants and a suit jacket. This can change depending on the venue or event.

I think Lance Burton is the best dressed magician.

I have a few looks, but they are all along the same upscale gothic/steampunk style. Church, Corporate, Stage, or otherwise, I keep the same general appearance in order to maintain character. I really don't like the jeans and T-shirt look. I think it's sloppy. I believe you should be the best dressed, and highly visible regardless of the function that you're at. Jeans and T's don't do that. They just scream common, unimaginative, and everyday to me.

Jan 21, 2011
I wear band tees and skinny jeans, but I look good with them. You should always look good, for a few reasons. By looking good, I mean wearing nice clothes, trimming your hair to keep it stylish, being hygienic. Just because you CAN amaze anyone you meet no matter what you look like, doesn't mean you should neglect how you look. The reason is because looking nice GIVES you confidence, which will aid you in your magic. You should be looking good for yourself and no one else, really. Sure you should look professional, but when it comes right down to it, if you look good to yourself and you know it, other people will perceive you as good looking too. It's the power of the mind.

For example, I've worn a lot of weird things. In fact, a year ago I wore a tail to school. I wore it with confidence because I thought it was pretty freaking cool and unique, and while I got some looks, I was confident in it and I STILL got girls. Now, granted, this is before I even knew any of my pick-up game, so you can imagine what would have happened if I had that tool too!

There's a reason I got those girls. It's called the Peacock Theory. Here's an excerpt from The Game by Neil Strauss that explains the Peacock Theory:

Quote from: The Game by Neil Strauss
"Well, look at you," Mystery said. "You look average. People think if they look generic, then they can seduce a wide array of women. Not true. You have to specialize. If you look average, you're going to get average girls. Your khaki pants are for the office. They're not for clubs. And your sweater—burn it. You need to be bigger than life. I'm talking over the top. If you want to get the 10s, you need to learn peacock theory."
Mystery loved theories. Peacock theory is the idea that in order to at¬ tract the most desirable female of the species, it's necessary to stand out in a flashy and colorful way. For humans, he told us, the equivalent of the fanned peacock tail is a shiny shirt, a garish hat, and jewelry that lights up in the dark—basically, everything I'd dismissed my whole life as cheesy.

So basically, Peacock Theory is wearing things that are out of ordinary, but wearing them with confidence. They are what makes you stand out from the other confident people. I think that being stylish and confident are two of the most important traits a magician can have. In fact, two traits that any MAN should have

I hope you enjoyed this post. If you'd like to read more, I have an entire forum dedicated to style, mystery, and confidence called The Shell. I hope it's okay that I leave this link here for anyone who's interested: www.bedeceived.com/shell

-Collin :)

Feb 4, 2008
Stovermagic...interesting post and I'm glad it's working out for you. Only problem is that it is a bit off topic. I can think of nothing more unprofessional than a magician walking into a gig who is blatently on the prowl for chicks. That's not to say that there are not magicians who manage to do this anyway. But the key is that they just let it happen naturally. Watching Greg Wilson perform is a perfect example. There is a guy who looks like he could be a real player but at the same time he doesn't come off as repellent to guys. They are just as entertained as the girls. The key is that, while certain PUA techniques can be useful to a performer, you need to come off as non-threatening to the guys. Otherwise you are just begging to get heckled. Worse yet, if you turn it on to strong, and it become obvious to the audience that you are they won't be rooting for you, they will be siding with the heckler! So I am not saying you are dead wrong about standing out but don't do it with an obvious ulterior motive unless that ulterior motive is to entertain by stepping into your character.

As for me, I'm a teacher so I rarely go out with out at least a button down shirt on. In today's world that is a bit set apart than the average Joe walking down the street. When I am performing an actual show I generally add a blazer at least. I thought for a while about a redneck magician character so I performed a few times in a camouflaged shooting shirt and a duck hunters hat...I think that character has some potential but it really isn't for me so I kind of punted on it. Right now I'm working with a character who is some what of a smooth talking "used car dealer" type. I have been toying with the idea of a garish suit to go along with it but for now a blazer and the attitude seem to be working well enough.

I certainly think you should stand

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Stresh, very valid argument. I have seen Gregory Wilson live as well and you described him to a T. He has the potential to get every lady in the house but he does not cross that line. Does he come up close to it to play into his routines and character...? Sure...it is funny and everyone has fun with it. The moment he would cross a line though with someones wife or girl friend..things would head south. (Wait that sounds worse) Ha Ha.

Stove, I agree with the peacock theory as well because I saw it happen all of the time in college, bars, wedding receptions, etc. People are looking for that person that just scream confidence and fun.

Jan 21, 2011
Good post Stresh. I completely agree with you, however good PUAs never come off as threatening to guys. They know how t control this. And in fact, you're supposed to engage the guys first. And I didn't mean that I go out looking for girls every time I perform, I was just linking the two - performances and game. I also feel that once magicians learn these tools, it makes them feel more confident which aids them in their magic. But I also agree with what you said.

Feb 4, 2008
Good post Stresh. I completely agree with you, however good PUAs never come off as threatening to guys. They know how t control this. And in fact, you're supposed to engage the guys first. And I didn't mean that I go out looking for girls every time I perform, I was just linking the two - performances and game. I also feel that once magicians learn these tools, it makes them feel more confident which aids them in their magic. But I also agree with what you said.
Then you and I are in total agreement. From your first post I just wanted to be sure that you were not throwing on a coat with tails, puffing out your chest, perming your hair, then walking into a close-up gig and giving the hottest chick you see a wink and the double guns and saying, "Gimmie some sugar baby!".....I mean...That's the sort of thing I might do but trust me I know what I'm doing....:cool:

Jan 21, 2011
Great. I think you should definitely sign up for The Shell. You can say I sent you. I hope it's okay to invite you on here, I just think you'd have a lot to offer :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results