Magic Weekend 2007 part 1 - THE SESSIONS.

Hello! This video has been an exclusive over at the Dan and Dave forums and Decknique for a couple of weeks, and I kind of wanted to keep it that way, but since feedback has been pretty poor for some reason, I decided to post it here as well, hoping to get tons of feedback. This will naturally result in me posting parts two and three here as well - on their respective release dates.

This is, for those of you who don't know, a video from a convention that occurred in the middle of October in Sweden. We were quite a lot of guys who met up, most of us from the FISM 2006 video (yeah, that was me too), and a few guys neither of us had met before, but already knew.

It consists of three parts with each of their respective themes. The theme for the first one is "Sessions". If you are pretty observant and patient, you'll easily find out what the second is about, and when it is due to be released too. =)

What needs to be said, has already been said.
With that being said, enjoy.

Magic Weekend - The Sessions
Thanks to Dan and Dave Buck for hosting the file.

Thanks.

- Allan on behalf of everyone who met up and filmed at Magic Weekend 07.

please do not re-post this link anywhere without my written permission, as I want to keep it a Dan and Dave, Decknique and T11 exclusive.

Sep 1, 2007
At first I thought they guy said, "Hi, I'm David Blaine" and I started thinking, "Not another one of these...." Good work, was preetty to watch.

To get more feedback. Since feedback sucked on DN and DnD. =)
I expected maybe 100-200 posts, such as were hte case with the FISM and London Experience videos. This has put me off actually wanting to put up the other two videos, and I may delay them just to be a tad mean.

Allan.

Good idea. Like now, one whole freakin day have went by, and there is only ONE comment at THIS forum, NONE at DN or DnD... Dang this sucks.. I guess it would be even better to not upload them at all... If it keeps going on like this.. =S

Aug 31, 2007
To get more feedback. Since feedback sucked on DN and DnD. =)
I expected maybe 100-200 posts, such as were hte case with the FISM and London Experience videos. This has put me off actually wanting to put up the other two videos, and I may delay them just to be a tad mean.

Allan.

No offense Allan, but that sounds a bit childish. I mean, what's your goal in making the videos in the first place? Are they for the enjoyment of others, or is it about having your ego stroked by the number of comments you can get?

I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems like the attitude behind your comment is a bit immature... By the way, I did watch the video, and I did enjoy it; so thank you for posting it.

No offense Allan, but that sounds a bit childish. I mean, what's your goal in making the videos in the first place? Are they for the enjoyment of others, or is it about having your ego stroked by the number of comments you can get?

I hope I'm wrong, but it just seems like the attitude behind your comment is a bit immature... By the way, I did watch the video, and I did enjoy it; so thank you for posting it.

What drives me to keep making films is to know that people appreciate them. If no one comments, then I don't feel that what I do is appreciated, so why the hell keep doing it? =) I may as well quit making films and sharing them with you guys. I'm sure there'd be A LOT of requests for me to keep making them if I stopped.

It's just that I'm used to getting feedback - and when I got nearly none on this video, I was very disappointed. I am actually in doubt wether to finish up the next ones or not.. I haven't started yet.

Allan.

What drives me to keep making films is to know that people appreciate them. If no one comments, then I don't feel that what I do is appreciated, so why the hell keep doing it?

Because it gives you a good feeling to think that you have acheived one of your goals - or to think that you have done something that took so long to do? Perhaps even to show a skill and be able to happily say "I've done that, I am proud"? I would have thought so -- but we have our own views and it is great to know that is what drives you to continue. However, what is not right is to stop that drive simply because people do not comment. The situation reminds me of a mild-variation of blackmail, "You give me more comments. Or I won't give you more videos. That's right, I will not give you something I promised I would let you all see." -- and you are much better than that man, your views are usually much clearer. :)

Either way, I think the same applies to anything we do; why is there such a thing as commenting? Generally to give feedback and share thoughts. I don't want to sound as though I am sort of, "defending the majority" so to say, against what point you were bringing forward. But a lot of us are very busy fellas when it comes down to it. Like myself, there are many my age on this forum, many of whom are also working their socks off to revise for exams next year. As a resut, it's become a thing of rarity to be able to sit down and enjoy surfing the forums and viewing the videos.

But still, we respect you for taking the time to continue doing these things and carry on entertaining. This proves much nicer when you ask for nothing in return; and only then will you get it in the bucketloads. As I said on the Dan and Dave Forums, I love this video - and I cannot wait for the next two installments. :)

Thanks Allan,
Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you're saying that if people virtually suddenly stopped commenting your videos on YouTube, you'd still keep making them and uploading them?

That is how I feel. I can't always give out stuff without asking for anything in return. For this, I simply ask that you comment if you like it, and comment if you don't, and tell me why, simply because this will lead to better videos from me in the future.

Allan.

So, you're saying that if people virtually suddenly stopped commenting your videos on YouTube, you'd still keep making them and uploading them?

That is how I feel. I can't always give out stuff without asking for anything in return. For this, I simply ask that you comment if you like it, and comment if you don't, and tell me why, simply because this will lead to better videos from me in the future.

Allan.

Good point... =D And I totally agree with you Allan... Thats the reason why we all make videos and practice. We wanna get better, and how is that possible if no one comments on how to improve? =)

Erik

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Sweden
www.virtualerik.com
If you aren't gonna finish the other parts up, because you don't get much feedback, I am no longer proud of being part of these videos.
I would never had thought you made these videos just to get feedback. I thought you made them for people to be entertained, and get to "feel" what a great time we had. You know people love the videos, but that doesn't mean they have to comment. I don't comment on every video I like.
We all know you are an amazing film maker, Allan, and you know that we know. I'm not sure why you need any more justification.

I wish to thank you for doing this, I highly appreciate it, but if you do it just to get many comments, I think you should re-consider.

-Erik

Of course he don't do it just because he want many comments. But he needs them, so he can improve, and make the next one's better. I mean, he doesn't need a lot of the: *Your a freakin great editor maaan* and stuff... But he needs the one that tells him how to make better videos. We all know that he can make good videos, but he wanna make even better videos, and with the staff we have here, this SHOULD be a brilliant place to get constructive criticism... Not only *YOUR EFFIN AWESOME MAAATE!* comments. I hope you get my point.

I don't want people to tell me I'm good. I know I'm good. Not to sound big headed, but I do. That's one of the reasons I keep making films too..

I just want people to show that they appreciate the video. =) This gives me motivation to go on. It is basically nothing to ask for. Takes people 3 seconds to write "thanks". That is why I posted it on all these forums in the first place - because I thought people would express their appreciation. I hope people keep this in mind for the second installment, which I can by the way say is going to be pretty damn awesome.

Thanks for the support, whoever supports me. Those who don't - too bad. I don't really give a damn.

Allan.

C

clarrus

that was great. What software did you use to edit it? I'm pretty sure it wasn't windows movie maker.

Thanks for the comment. I'm pretty sure he uses Final Cut Pro... I'm also sure he'll answer you fully, with the version and stuff =)

Indeed indeed. Just the most recent FCP from the Final Cut Studio 2 package obtainable at a messed up price at Apple.com/store. Worth it without a doubt, if you're into film making. If you can't afford it, don't download it or get it illegally. Not that it's possible. I got my license from my school anyway, so. Heh.

Allan.

C

clarrus

I think i enjoyed it more for the editing as opposed to the content. Seriously, I loved the part where you have a corner showing 200 FPS. Do you need a super computer to work that software properly?

Thanks a bunch. You would need a fairly powerful computer to work with HD footage, yes. I recommend 3GB of RAM, and a dual core / quad core processor at around 2,5GHz to be able to work properly.

If you do have so much money that you should almost be ashamed of it, however, you may buy what I'd like to refer to as a "Super Computer", a max configured Mac Pro.
16 GB RAM, 2x Intel Xeon 3GHz processors working on a grid (eight cores), 3TB of hard drive space, support for two dual-link DVI 30 inch displays, etc..
Regarding the 200 FPS, it was unclear wether you wondered if that could be done in the software or not, but I'm assuming you know it requires your camera to be able to shoot at that rate.

Thanks for the comments, it means a lot. You seriously have no idea.

Allan.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results