The Proper Way To Deal With Heckler

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Hey guys, I was at the comedy club last night and I found out a perfect way to deal with a female heckler.
There was this drunk girl in the audience constantly screaming and yelling something out throughout the show, and the comedian tolerated her until the very end. Towards the end of the show, when she screamed again, he turned around towards her and said: "Hey... listen...shut up, and listen...this is my job, I do this for a living, this is how I support my family and raise my kids, and you are messing up with it. I don't go to your work place and jump up and down on the bed while you are working!" :D
And the crowd went CRAZY, they were cheering and clapping, and after that the girl didn't say a word until the end of the show. So yeah, he handled that perfectly.

p.s. I hope you know that he is a comedian and he can actually get away with this kind of stuff, and in no way do I imply that this is the way to handle your heckler during magic performance, this thread is for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Toby, although that is funny it has to be used in the proper setting and the environment has to be just right. Comedians know when and how to do this. Usually they don't throw a blow like this until they have finally had enough.

Go ahead and use that out on the street somewhere or at a paying gig and see what happens...let me know how that goes for you. Ha Ha.

Feb 7, 2011
I believe it was the late great Bill hicks who originally used that joke some time ago, a somewhat more explicit version. But now that i think of it, it may have been george carling. And Im also sure it was in a movie at some point. Im not trying to be a hipster, I've just always been ticked off by comedians who steal ,not just take inspiration from, but steal, from the greats. Like denis leary did wth bill hicks' material.

Also, I wouldn't recommend calling any female spectator a whore. Though I understand you're recommending it.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
I believe it was the late great Bill hicks who originally used that joke some time ago, a somewhat more explicit version. But now that i think of it, it may have been george carling. And Im also sure it was in a movie at some point. Im not trying to be a hipster, I've just always been ticked off by comedians who steal ,not just take inspiration from, but steal, from the greats. Like denis leary did wth bill hicks' material.

Also, I wouldn't recommend calling any female spectator a whore. Though I understand you're recommending it.

First of all it is George Carlin not George "Carling". Second that is not a joke it's an improvised line that I'm sure many stand up comics and other live performers have used well before Hicks or Carlin. And Leary didn't steal from Hicks. He dealt with some of the same subject matter but he presented it in his own way. I say that as a huge Hicks fan and Leary fan. And while we're throwing quotes around I believe it was Picaso who said "Good artists copy, great artists steal." Third these are stand-up comics NOT magicians and the audience is expecting a different kind of entertainment from a magician than a comic. The people who went/go to see Hicks, Carlin, Andrew Dice Clay, Greg Geraldo, Louis CK or Leary are expecting a certain level of cynicism and sarcasm from the performer. That's what they paid to see. Unless that's your thing (i.e. The Amazing Johnathan) and people know it and expect it of you then it's always safer not to shame or berate the people who you are asking for approval and or financial gain. Above all else KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE! The better you read them the better you can control them and entertain them.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Btw, I remember reading a story about a comedian that made fun of a heckler, and the heckler in return burnt the comedian's house or something like that.

Now THAT is funny.
@RickEverhart and ReservoirRed: I don't believe that you guys read my p.s. in small letters below the post. But that's ok ;)

JasonEngland

theory11 artist / card mechanic
Nov 7, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
And Leary didn't steal from Hicks. He dealt with some of the same subject matter but he presented it in his own way.

Riiiiiiiiiight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INarE1WraFA&feature=related

Perhaps DL was smart enough not to steal the exact words in most cases (although he did exactly that from time to time: "Bunch of whining #$%@ maggots...."), he certainly stole Hicks' subject matter on a dozen different topics. Just because you change a few words around and say it louder and crazier doesn't make it yours.

Jason

PS: Also watch the Joe Rogan, Ralphie May clip where Rogan talks about Leary. He was there and saw it firsthand.

Jack

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2007
Decatur, GA
Riiiiiiiiiight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INarE1WraFA&feature=related

Perhaps DL was smart enough not to steal the exact words in most cases (although he did exactly that from time to time: "Bunch of whining #$%@ maggots...."), he certainly stole Hicks' subject matter on a dozen different topics. Just because you change a few words around and say it louder and crazier doesn't make it yours.

Jason

PS: Also watch the Joe Rogan, Ralphie May clip where Rogan talks about Leary. He was there and saw it firsthand.

I stand corrected. Cheers!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results