I need some help.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys,

So I am having some trouble and I need your help. I will be getting some money for my birthday (roughly 200-300) dollars. It could be more and it could be less. But I haven't gotten any new magic material in a long time. So I wanted to get something new and awesome with my money. I usually do card magic and general magic, but I am open to new ideas. I was thinking about DG's 4-6 projects. But thats only about 100. Really, I am just looking for some good, awesome, magic. It could be from Theory11 or any other site.

Thanks,

Blake.

*if you need any more info, tell me.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
BUY A BOOK! You will end up with ten times the effects for a fraction of the cost and who knows, you may even start learning how to do magic rather than racing out to learn a new really cool and nifty TRICK.

Yea, I'm being a bit crabby here but only because you are going about things backwards; you are trying to skip the foundation work and purchase things based on ego -- how cool and awesome they will make you look. . . or so goes the delusion. Trust me on this, if you are a dull nut case without the cool trick, you will be the same even after you do it and everyone rushes over to see it. On the other hand, if you learn how to be an entertainer that knows his art form, that's an entirely different set of circumstances. So, if you don't have them yet pick-up a copy of both, the Mark Wilson & Tarbell Courses in Magic and study them until they are worn to a frizzle. You'll end up with enough knowledge and resource from those courses to launch a very long and potentially prosperous career. Who knows, you may just learn enough to start creating YOUR OWN really cool & nifty tricks (hint, hint)

Think it over.

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I actually have a lot of books. I know, kids these days are to caught up in the flashy things that the new websites have to offer. They don't get that there is so much more in a book. Look at me, I am speaking as if I am an 80 year old magician, but I'm not. I'm only 16, but I have been doing magic since I was about 10. The thing is, I have Mark Wilson's Guide In Magic. And I have gone through and read that book so many times. I was thinking about getting tarbell, but I don't know about it right now. But even though I just said myself that books are great, I really would love some really good, new effects.

-blake.

Feb 12, 2011
At my Computer
Yo Blake,
I have just bought Flow by Dan Hauss and if you want a really good effect it is for you. The set up is a little knacky but once you practice the set up enough you will be able to get it set up and do the effect (Difficulty Level 0) and will bug people out every time you perform it. I give it 10/10.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey Blake,

Cards As Weapons by Ricky Jay might be a nice investment.

There is a book that not a lot of people talk about that has some gems in it. David Copperfield used. There's a lot of fresh ideas, and I want to be selfish and keep it to myself.

PM me if you want the name of it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Do you own a Jet Set or Lefler Table? Both of these would be good purchases that would help you out later on down the road once you have a show and start making money.

Jun 9, 2011
I recently bought airborne- verrry cheap- but it absolutley KILLS on stage. Sankey's secret files was also relatively cheap and WELL worth the money. And finally, Craig Petty's chop is beautiful. All of these combined will cost you less than a hundred, but they are must haves in my opinion.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Blake, I guess I should have asked you because a lot of guys don't know what an Abbott's Jet Set is. It is a very nice fold up back drop frame. The curtain does not come with it but you can purchase them separate or have someone make you the curtain from your own choice of fabric. They come in 6 foot and 8 foot dimensions.

The Lefler table is a nice portable table that has plenty of room for your props and saves you tons of time starting your show.

I recommend you check out both online since you seem to be getting some money.

Mar 10, 2011
Well it really depends,

I saw that you do card magic and depending on your level of expertise i would break it down like so:

Beginner: Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic (book); $30-40; Teaches things like the DL, packet tricks, the glide and simple flourishes. There's a lot more to the book itself other than cards as well.

Intermediate: I'm not a big fan to The Royal Road to Card Magic but its a popular one for moves like the pass and the Hindu shuffle. If you want to be more equipped for slights like palming, take a look at Tarbell #2 (book); $25-30; this book is best for manipulators since it teaches things like palming, second dealing, billiard ball basics, and cigarette manipulation and effects

Advanced: Now, advanced with cards is very subjective in that people who perform XCM well consider themselves to be advanced card handlers but when it comes to performing magic with cards its difficult to judge the experience and skill of someone; however, if I had to recommend an all around advanced handling and magic combo, I would have to say that Dan and Dave's Trilogy DVD named "Tricks" is quite exceptional in the respects that it familiarizes you with advanced maneuvers. It's also fairly priced ($30.00) for the amount of experience that you're obtaining. A warning, however: be prepared to practice heavily to master your sleights, and then practice more to not only obtain and smooth your handling, but also to personalize and tailor the moves to seem general and commonplace in your performance.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Tarbell
Art of Astonishment
Card College
A subscription to Genii (you also get access to back issues)
Random Acts of Magic
Mnemonica
Five Points in Magic
Scripting Magic
Magic and Showmanship
Strong Magic
Anything by Eugene Burger and Robert Neale

Mar 10, 2011
RealityOne, you've just become my hero for the week. I own "Magic and Showmanship" and have for years and I must say it is probably the most under appreciated book that deals magic. Personally, I think it should get more light because it teaches many important points in performance. Anyway, you rock.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
RealityOne, you've just become my hero for the week. I own "Magic and Showmanship" and have for years and I must say it is probably the most under appreciated book that deals magic. Personally, I think it should get more light because it teaches many important points in performance. Anyway, you rock.

Thanks. Magic and Showmanship is probably the best $15 (or less if you shop around) anyone can spend on magic. Reading it will change the way you look at magic.

Jul 16, 2011
If you're getting $300 and you want to get something BIG and comprehenive, I'd go with Paul Harris True Astonishments. its a huge DVD set

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If you're getting $300 and you want to get something BIG and comprehenive, I'd go with Paul Harris True Astonishments. its a huge DVD set

Then again, there is the Tommy Wonder "Books of Wonder" and about a dozen other heavy study texts out there. I agree with where you're coming from however, if you have the tuition go for the best you can get with the investment. RealityOne has given one heck of a great list as well as kudos to one of the most overlooked and yet, important books yet named "MAGIC & SHOWMANSHIP" but I will take things a step deeper into yesteryear here. . .

HADES PUBLICATIONS has an amazing cornucopia filled with some of the best yesteryear publications on Magic, Mentalism, Escapes, Ventriloquism/Puppets just about any aspect of our craft you can imagine. What's more important here, is that most of this material is outrageously inexpensive -- dirt bottom retail prices for materials that are purest gold. There's a great number of books & lectures to be found on the art of being an MC, Public Speaking, the Psychological nuances of Magic as a whole (printed long before the Banachek & Knepper waves took hold). $300.00 invested at this particular site is going to give you a most amazing library filled with material very, very few young people are aware of and thus, you'll be able to deliver routines that are "new" to them including slights & controls you cannot find anywhere else. So give this lead some serious thought.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results