Acta Deceptio: When Were You Last Fooled?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
This last EMC. I watched JB and Eric Mead help out in a mind blowing illusion from Lu Chen. I have spent a rather long time going over the trick again and again trying to decode the mystery, but to no avail. I know those in the room when it happened were also blown away. We simply witnessed the impossible.

When was the last time you were totally fooled? Who did it? What did they fool you with? Why were you fooled? What can we learn from it? This is your chance to say it the way you see it. Anything is game.

Let's play.

L

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Penn and Teller's opening phone effect with the borrowed iphone. I was sitting in my seat...saying "No F-ing Way". I don't want to describe it because it will ruin it for people who may go see the show but let's just say it is great.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
Always interesting to hear people's input here. I will honestly say that I get fooled a decent amount. I love magic and can figure out things, but there are plenty of stuff out there that fools me. I would tend to say most people get fooled waaaaaay more than they act like, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

It's really interesting for me to hear what fools people who have been performing and have wealth of knowledge, such as Lyle and Rick above me.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Either there are way too many people on these forums who are afraid to admit being fooled by something or nobody on here attends magic shows / conventions and only watches youtube performers. Come on guys seriously? Nobody is going to make fun of you. I actually like being fooled now days because it lets me be a layman again and enjoy that side of the magic. Let's here from some of you. Nice thread Lyle.

Unfortunately I rarely get to see live magic so I'm pretty much stuck to just "live" magic online. A few great effects that had me fooled are Cyril Tankayama's cigarette magic routine and also Wayne Houchin's counterfeit hollingworth. I actually saw WH perform that effect close up at his lecture and I was completly blown away I was only standing a few feet away and still was completely fooled, great effect! Even though it doesn't happen that often, I'm glad that I can still enjoy magic with "laymen" eyes and still just sit back and enjoy the performance. I know a lot of magicians might get to the point where they loose laymen eyes and can't help but work out the method everytime they see someone perform.

Feb 7, 2011
Either there are way too many people on these forums who are afraid to admit being fooled by something or nobody on here attends magic shows / conventions and only watches youtube performers. Come on guys seriously? Nobody is going to make fun of you. I actually like being fooled now days because it lets me be a layman again and enjoy that side of the magic. Let's here from some of you. Nice thread Lyle.

I haven't the opportunity to see live magic here in Ireland. As the only way to see it is to get invited to a wedding! A bit of an exaggeration, it is about but it is very scarce. I myself have never met a magician nor seen a close up magician live. I've seen a keith barry show, that is it. I keep missing derren brown, Ive missed him 2 years in a row. His current stage show is coming to Ireland next year so i wont be missing that for love nor money.

As for the last time i was fooled, alot of stuff on penn and tellers fool us show tricked me. I like that show alot.

I performed at this little event in June... And after that some time I was at a local restaurant watching my girl sing karaoke. Well the guy who set up the event in june called me to the table and said "my father has a trick for you" I sat down and his dad had a cigarette sitting on the table he asked "have you seen this one?" I said "I don't think so go for it!"

He started to move his finger around the cigarette in circles, He did this a few times then put his finger behind it and the began to move the cigarette with out his finger touching it. I was told my reaction was priceless I LOVED IT! It had been a long time sense I was so excited by this magic.

He showed me how it worked and the method was so obvious and simple I was a little embarrassed but also inspired by the insanely simple misdirection. So I learned to NEVER underestimate a trick or method of any kind. I started digging thru my magic books looking at the simple magic I always passed by before.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results