How do *you* spring cards?

Greetings, cards freaks.

I'm not really curious about how you grip the deck, I'm more interested in how you spring it. It seems most cardists shoot the cards backwards, off the thumb, why is this? Is it just how you were taught or do you feel it gives you more control?

I personally spring them off the index, middle and ring fingers, I like both methods, but I prefer the visual effect the cards create when sprung forwards.

Jul 16, 2011
I don't really understand why, but everyone seems to bend the cards inward (if that's what you were talking about) and I always bend them outward... nice little dribble, even if I can't really spring them all that far... I can't imagine how people spring the cards bending them inward, I can't control them at all if I try to do that.

Jun 14, 2009
I don't really understand why, but everyone seems to bend the cards inward (if that's what you were talking about) and I always bend them outward... nice little dribble, even if I can't really spring them all that far... I can't imagine how people spring the cards bending them inward, I can't control them at all if I try to do that.

Sounds like you're talking about a dribble and not a spring. It's impossible to spring cards bent outwards. I personally spring cards 2 ways. If I'm going for distance I spring off the tips of my fingers with my thumb and middle finger on opposite corners. If I'm going for a cooler look, I just push the cards higher up in my hand.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
I spring them with my thumb but half the pressure comes from the pinky and half the pressure from the thumb, in that way I can control the spring more and make it bigger

Jan 2, 2011
springing is quite a tough flourish
i guess u must get genesis v1 and learn it there
andrei teaches everything perfectly

Sep 20, 2008
Hi there,

I initially had this problem when i had my first cardistry meetup. everyone seemed to be springing the cards differently to me, releasing from the thumb whilst i was doing was releasing from the index, middle and ring finger. (Forward spring)

I was kind of annoyed at this, as i was called out on it (not in a bad way, more like in a constructive way) and its been said that i do my spring somewhat wrong. Its not the 'Basic' spring so to speak.

I conducted some research on this and then realised the difference between a spring off the thumb and a spring off the three fingers. Likewise, it was also around this time that the virts released a spring video, (Ninja Spring grab.) which taught me how to spring from the thumb.

It was only after learning how to learn both types of springs that you clearly notice the difference. While i can get a nice, Spring from a forward-release, i cant control the tension too much and therefore cant increase the distance that it goes. However visually it looks appealing, however audio-wise it sounds a bit like fart. (which was hillarious when i do a spring in public.)

Springing from the thumb however allows me to have more control over the spring, getting more distance and prescicion. etc. I still prefer the forward release to the thumb release, but maybe that's just a personal preference.

In my opinion- learn the thumb release. as you'll be able to get more height and more control over your springs.

Edit: Oh also, You cant do certain things when you do a forward spring. Such as Dan and Dave's trick called 'Autocatch'. which is only achievable with a spring released from the thumb. :)

Thanks!

-Sinful

Aug 10, 2011
generally I choose to spring from the thumb with my index finger held loosely (for support really) at the top right corner, my middle and ring on the left orner actually applying the pressure. I mostly do this as it offers the most power and distance in my springs. Another way I sometimes do a spring is with the same hand position except for the middle and ring fingers in the middle of the deck and the pinky at the corner. I feel doing it this way gives me less power but more control and the shape of the ard stream has an interesting look

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
I taught myself to spring off of the front before I ever saw any instruction on another method. I use tension between my thumb and my middle finger, with my first and ring fingers acting as guides. I use (Gasp! How Terrible!) the diagonal of the card to spring, meaning I spring the cards from two opposite corners instead of two opposite sides. This is contrary to most of the instruction I have seen on this. I can, however, still get every bit of distance I want from my odd spring. I also have complete control, plus as Sinful07 said the forward spring has a better visual look to it, essentially because of angles.

And as a side note on Sinful07's post - You can't do Dan and Dave's Autocatch the way they do it with a forward spring. I, however, modified my own handling slightly in order to do the trick with my forward spring. I have no problems with the mechanics of the hover spring or the "catch" of the card.

Keep practicing. It becomes easy.

L

S.G

Feb 9, 2010
I taught myself to spring off of the front before I ever saw any instruction on another method. I use tension between my thumb and my middle finger, with my first and ring fingers acting as guides. I use (Gasp! How Terrible!) the diagonal of the card to spring, meaning I spring the cards from two opposite corners instead of two opposite sides. This is contrary to most of the instruction I have seen on this. I can, however, still get every bit of distance I want from my odd spring. I also have complete control, plus as Sinful07 said the forward spring has a better visual look to it, essentially because of angles.

And as a side note on Sinful07's post - You can't do Dan and Dave's Autocatch the way they do it with a forward spring. I, however, modified my own handling slightly in order to do the trick with my forward spring. I have no problems with the mechanics of the hover spring or the "catch" of the card.

Keep practicing. It becomes easy.

L
Actually, most good sources tell you to go from the corners. I am not entirely sure which sources you watched though.

P.S: Lyle, I sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 20, 2009
near paris
Greetings, cards freaks.

I'm not really curious about how you grip the deck, I'm more interested in how you spring it. It seems most cardists shoot the cards backwards, off the thumb, why is this? Is it just how you were taught or do you feel it gives you more control?

I personally spring them off the index, middle and ring fingers, I like both methods, but I prefer the visual effect the cards create when sprung forwards.

i learn it from the thumb, si i do it from the thumb, i can't do it from the fingers

Thank you guys, these replies have been insightful. I'd should clarify though, I'm already familiar with card springing, I was just wondering why everyone springs them backwards, I've rarely seen it done otherwise. Even badly executed springs are usually done backwards - not that I'm saying doing it off the thumb is worse, it's just obviously favoured by both amateurs and experts.

We could start a club you know.

Visually it looks appealing, however audio-wise it sounds a bit like fart.

(which was hillarious when i do a spring in public.)
Greetings! Do you hold the deck at the corners when shooting it forwards? That unpleasant sound effect can be eliminated, forward springs can be done as silently and smoothly as the springs from the Vrits' spring tutorial video, using the same corner grip.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results