Rubber band magic patter

Aug 11, 2011
Hi everyone,

I've been doing rubber band magic for quite some time now and I have a small problem.
I have absolutely no problem developing patter for card/coin/general magic effects, but I *really* don't know what to say when performing a rubber band routine.

I'm currently working on my patter on every routine I perform, and I avoid just desribing what I'm doing (you know, the typical "I'm loosing the card in the middle of the deck, and when I snap my finger... *snap* It comes back to the top !"). But when it comes to rubber band, I have really a hard time giving a sens on what I do.

Let's take the very famous CMH. It's an incredible effect, but I can't help myself thinking "Why the hell would I do something like that ?". I tried to find a theme for rubber band routines, like "matter going through matter", but well... I'm not convinced, thus my audience is not convinced.

So, my question is : What would you advise as patter for rubber band magic ?

Thanks !

Nov 19, 2010
Here is exactly what I do with my rubberband routine. I wear the rubberbands on my wrist at all times. I sometimes use the joke "do you know why I wear rubberbands because their so much cheaper than a rollex" Or something like that. Than I will let them choose two of the many rubberbands on my wrist. Than ask them to examine the rubbers (kinda gets a laugh). My big motive for doing anything with rubberbands is stating how rare it is for magicians to do magic with rubberbands. I will say "magicians do magic with cards, money, and alot of other stuff but I like trying things a little bit different by using some things like these. Now only a very few amount of magicians out there will do magic with rubberbands from the amount of difficulty." I just set myself up by saying Im doing something really difficult amazing and exclusive so now they could care less of a reason for linking them and unlinking them they just want to see what's so great about rubberbands.

May 19, 2010
For CMH I usually ask the audience if they know about Harry Houdini. I then talk about how he could escape a pair of handcuffs in the blink of an eye. I say "I'll try the same thing in the spirit of Houdini, But since it is Illegal for a 15 year old to buy or use handcuffs, I use rubber bands." Just be creative and I'm sure you'll come up with something. Hope this helps!

Aug 11, 2011
It actually helps ! It gave me some ideas for some rubber band tricks :) Thanks !

I think the main difficulty remains on the shortness of the effects. Without a good patter, all I get is silent stares as they try to understand how the hell I did that. So I find it really harder to build a great reaction than with other props.
I mean, if I do a coin to jumbo coin transformation, I always get strong and loud reactions. When I do a card trick with a card to impossible location finale, it hits really, really hard. If I do sponge balls... Well, you all know the effect of sponge balls on a spectator.

I guess I have to develop a patter that allows me to build the moment, to create tension and so on.

Mar 27, 2011
If you are doing something with linking rubberbands you can mention the linking rings and how this rubberband effect was inspired by that. I think i heard Marcus Eddie say that sometime in one of his DVDs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results