Magic to People

Jul 23, 2011
People are looking so awkward and laughing at me if i say im a Magician. Its like 90% People are just having soo many prejudices, it's hard to even get them to take a look at a trick. They all think someone who's doing Magic is like pretending he's a real magician like Chris Angel does..

Why's that..
How are you dealing with this Problem?

Aug 21, 2011
People are looking so awkward and laughing at me if i say im a Magician. Its like 90% People are just having soo many prejudices, it's hard to even get them to take a look at a trick. They all think someone who's doing Magic is like pretending he's a real magician like Chris Angel does..

Why's that..
How are you dealing with this Problem?
i never had this problem before because i never tell people that my tricks are real magic when they ask me because if i said that he will ask me to fly to do things i cant do so dont tell any one that again just get the deck out of your pocket do some flourishes and they will ask u to show them the trick i always do that hope i help u sorry for grammer and english :D

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Because that's what the general public have been conditioned to think. The term "magician" is actually quite outdated for what a lot of people are doing these days. Sometimes people say, "but it's not magic is it?" and I reply with something like "of course not, I'm not going to suggest you're that naive".
Some people want to believe it's magic, let them. Some people say it's sleight of hand, let them. Some people just enjoy it and don't try to label it, let them.

If saying you are a magician is giving you those akward moments, use a different term like illusionist. Or you can just not label yourself at all. How are you saying you are a magician? Is it like when you present yourself like " hi my name is ___ I'm a magician" or is it like if they ask what you do (for a living) and you answer magician? If someone is asking you that question you don't have to say you are a magician. For example: "what do you do for a living" instead of saying "I'm a magician" just say "let me show you", then move onto your effect.

Aug 28, 2010
As soon as I was reading this I was going to say who you could thank for that but as I got to the end I realized that you already know. I'm not in the habbit of hating on anyone with the guts to get out and perform but I'm pretty sure we all watched as he raised the interest in magic in America and then quickly destroyed it. He's the one that everyone knows so at this point in history he's the one everyone equates magic to. So when he exposes himself to be full of general douche baggery...that's what people begin to equate with magic in general. A jersey shore reject who's way too into himself. I feel bad describing him this way but I don't make the news I just report it. Magic has always had a bit of an image problem and the one who single handedly saved magic in the mainstream is also the one who destroyed it. Just strive to be better, strive to change opinions through example, and strive to be the next great savior of the art we all love so much! You could one day end up being the one who once again saves magic in the mainstream!

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well, it depends on how you say it. If you just kind of mumble it or say it in a way that makes you feel ashamed of it, then that's how people are gonna respond. But if you own it and say it like your proud of it, people are going to take that as an interesting fact about you or better yet, ask you to do something.

I used to have this problem. I was afraid to tell people that I was a magician, since when someone thinks of a magician, some stereotype of a loser in a tuxedo pulling bunnies out of a hat comes up. But the more experienced and confident in my abilities I got, the less ashamed I was to say it. Now, usually when I'm meeting someone new, and I want to break the ice, I just tell them I'm a magician and I blow their mind right there. So in short: It's all about your attitude and having the ability to back it up.

Also, I can tell you're new to the forums, but we don't respect the bashing of any magicians. So please don't hate on Criss, he's just a man trying to make a living doing what he loves. Many people actually love Criss Angel and find him to be one of the best magicians out there today. Some magicians need to realize that not everyone on the face of the earth hates him as much as they do. So let's cool it with the Criss hating.

To the part about people not wanting to see a trick, it might be you if 90% of people reject you. Which I'm not really going to get into right now but there's tons of forums where you can get advice, like THIS one. One tip is to not say that you're going to do magic. Ask them for a minute of their time and ask if they want to see something cool. (But PLEASE don't take the "David Blaine Approach" in which you act like a creeper, that might get you arrested) :)

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
As soon as I was reading this I was going to say who you could thank for that but as I got to the end I realized that you already know. I'm not in the habbit of hating on anyone with the guts to get out and perform but I'm pretty sure we all watched as he raised the interest in magic in America and then quickly destroyed it. He's the one that everyone knows so at this point in history he's the one everyone equates magic to. So when he exposes himself to be full of general douche baggery...that's what people begin to equate with magic in general. A jersey shore reject who's way too into himself. I feel bad describing him this way but I don't make the news I just report it. Magic has always had a bit of an image problem and the one who single handedly saved magic in the mainstream is also the one who destroyed it. Just strive to be better, strive to change opinions through example, and strive to be the next great savior of the art we all love so much! You could one day end up being the one who once again saves magic in the mainstream!

Aren't you forgetting a few important people before him?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If saying you are a magician is giving you those akward moments, use a different term like illusionist. Or you can just not label yourself at all. How are you saying you are a magician? Is it like when you present yourself like " hi my name is ___ I'm a magician" or is it like if they ask what you do (for a living) and you answer magician? If someone is asking you that question you don't have to say you are a magician. For example: "what do you do for a living" instead of saying "I'm a magician" just say "let me show you", then move onto your effect.

NO, NO, NO!

"ILLUSIONIST" has, since the 19th century, always referred to someone that does big box magic; the sawing, levitation, etc. not card tricks or pulling bunnies out of hats.

The reason people look at you strange is that you either have a poor approach/script or you lack confidence, that's it! It has nothing to do with identifying yourself as a magician because that's exactly what you are and the public should be educated enough to know that magicians do TRICKS in that this is how they ENTERTAIN folks. There is an unofficial agreement between performer and audience that sustains this unique "agreement" PROVIDED you, as the performer, are able to deliver "Enchantment" along with "Bemusement" -- This is what every great performer, be it magician or actor, must bring to the stage with them, which happens to include competence as well as confidence.

Magic can be presented as a very "real" sort of experience PROVIDED it's a part of your nature. Not everyone is cut out to deliver magic in this way and if you are attempting to present magic in a way that doesn't flow from you in a believable/acceptable manner, you will fail to capture the audience. So stop looking at semantics as your band-aid and start looking at yourself and what you present; does it fit your personality or are you trying to force yourself to fit a particular style & look that's not natural for you? Are you strong enough when it comes to personality and self-confidence, to "sell" the material you do, and lure the public in with interest?

Learning to do tricks is super easy to do; learning how to become a magician is an on-going and oft time painful process that some simply have a knack for while others of us must work harder to gain half as much success. Too, none of it has to do with the tricks themselves but rather, the tricks of the trade.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results