Let's beat this dead horse again.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
This topic (revealing secrets freely) has been discussed over and over again...but one site in particular made me rage.

Link Removed, We don't want this to spread more than it already has. - L

This site seems so different than other reveal sites in that some only have a small amount of material they reveal. This one, however, is different. Peruse the website if you will and you will see.

How I came across this site was as such: For some reason I wanted to see Frozen by Adam Grace again and typed it in on Google. I was about to click the E link and saw the link below it. I had never seen it so I thought I'd click on it. (No I was not looking for a reveal)
It took me to a forum to where the members openly REQUEST methods. I saw a post inside this forum which pissed me off so bad I felt the need to make a thread here, even if it gets no responses at all. Here is the post in full:

This first post was someone who bought the trick begging them not to reveal:

"PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL THIS TRICK!!
Support Adam, support magicians LIKE YOU, creative magicians LIKE YOU. Help them to develope new ideas and put it in our hands, is that simple, if they don't get any money, they won't release any other effects, it's a pain in the ass film a DVD, produce it, edit it and release it. we are a community, we have to support each other.
I bought the DVD yesterday with the download, I think that $30 for the secret is a VERY LOW PRICE TO PAY, remember that you're buying a secret, not just a DVD showing some trick and explaining, you're buying a secret. keep it for yourself, YOU paid for that secret, take care of it.

yes, in germany you can buy what you need... I found them in
Colombia-South america, I won't tell what you need, but YES you can find it there."

And in response to this ace_magic says:
"well, hmm...
you see, the way i see it is that if you want people to buy your trick, then do it in performances. adam took the cheap way out, along with every orther magician who sold their tricks. do you understand where im coming from? magic is obsolete now because people sell their tricks. sure, it makes sense to sell a small trick like that, cause that wont be a final act in a show, and yet, if you want to be a good magician dont you want to perform tricks that NO ONE else knows? selling your tricks seems like a crutch, an insecurity. if youve seen "The Prestige", then you know where im coming from, if robert had sold his tricks to people, then we wouldnt have a movie what so ever.
ok so maybe i didnt use the best way... but what im trying to say is that most of us here are young creative minds, we can see out side the box(heck, im only 15).
so, if we have a passion, why sell that passion to people, this is YOUR GLORY, YOUR PRIDE, show people what you can do, but the secret impresses no one, remeber that.

the people who do give a rats ass about your trade will buy your trick, so in essence, the only ones who wont know are the people who dont care to know. sure, theyll be amazed, but arent we here to fool magicians? that is where we get pride ang glory, by fooling the ones who do care, so rember this when your about to sell your trick, remember your glory and pride..."

This made my soul cringe and run for cover. I just... **** that site. I would like to hear your discussions on this... I do wish that there was some way to get this site shut down because they have many, many, tricks revealed, including T11 tricks. ***holes...

/rant

Last edited by a moderator:

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Oh how I wish magic could be copyrighted in some way, then it could be removed from youtube.

I mean copyrighted for digital media, not for limiting what we're allowed to perform in real life.

it's this kind of myopic thinking typical of teenagers that frustrates the hell out of me. I don't think this is out of the box. I think it's completely ignorant to how things are meant to work in our community.
attachment.php

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Well, this is what we call the "google" thinking. If I can find something for free, why can't I use it, it's the internet! Sadly, information can easily be "pirated" or exposed today via a lot of website. Some teenager think that if they can have it free, they can keep it. They don't think further, so yes I'm pissed by this kind of thinking myself. But what I do is simple: I strongly suggest to my entourage to buy something and I refuse everything that can be pirated. I'm a gamer, and I don't play a game in a lan party that I know everyone dont have, even if it's only one person. I show my conviction by action. Since, a lot of my friends/family have changed their habit and they know where I stand . I think it's the best way to resolve things. It's true that you can't stop those people in one day, but if you change yourself and show your conviction, I think you can make a difference in the long run. My two cents!

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
No worries Draven. It's just..It pisses me off so bad. Someone worked their ass off on their creation and felt it worthy enough to sell to us and they take it for granted and want a subscription or two on youtube or for forum members to like them if they post a reveal video. It's utterly disgraceful. Can they not think that just maybe, magic is someone's living? What if someone counted on selling a new DVD to help raise money for for their kids college or something similar? And ONE person just goes and reveals the entire thing, effectively cutting the creators profit by a very large amount. These people should be ashamed. Have a little ****ing respect for honest working people. That's not too much to ask for.

Jul 16, 2011
what a shame. Magic is being absolutely ruined by the internet. Its almost like every video of someone performing, has a comment right below it saying "Can anyone make a tutorial for this one". Then a little kid with a crappy webcam exposes the method to a creators effect! Then people comment on that video saying "Thanx, good tutorial". People who learn magic from youtube "tutorials" will never become a good magician. Youtube tutorials explain the method only, no presentation, subtleties or convincers. I have something to say to all the youtube wannabe "magicians" BUY THE DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 3, 2011
Oregon
what a shame. Magic is being absolutely ruined by the internet. Its almost like every video of someone performing, has a comment right below it saying "Can anyone make a tutorial for this one". Then a little kid with a crappy webcam exposes the method to a creators effect! Then people comment on that video saying "Thanx, good tutorial". People who learn magic from youtube "tutorials" will never become a good magician. Youtube tutorials explain the method only, no presentation, subtleties or convincers. I have something to say to all the youtube wannabe "magicians" BUY THE DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do agree with you, but not about how magic is being absolutely ruined by the internet. The internet has also helped magic quite significantly. If the internet weren't around then where would Theory11 be? Some bad things come from every great advancement. There is a pro to every con. This isn't a complete argument, but I don't want to argue. I just want to make it a point that the internet has not "absolutely" ruined magic.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Guys, stop blaming the INTERNET for ruining magic. Because it's not. In fact, you're on the internet right now, and if it weren't for the internet, you wouldn't have this forum right now. The only things that "ruin" magic is BAD MAGICIANS. And thats what its about when it comes down to it. Bad magicians without any kind of experience or respect for the art on YouTube, not the internet itself, ruin tricks for some people. And that's it, they ruin TRICKS not MAGIC as a whole. Magic is about a lot more than the trick itself, and if your performance is so dull that your spectators can recognize it from some "crappy webcam" video, then your actual performing abilities need a little tweaking.

I'm not saying that these kids aren't wrong for exposing tricks. They're extremely wrong, and with every view, the creator is losing some money. Money he could be using to provide for his family, put food on the table, gas in his car. But sitting on an online forum and whining about it isn't gonna do anything.

I bet that over 80% of people who would complain about something like this wouldn't even tell the person revealing the method to someone's published work. I bet that you guys see something like that, and just get mad. You might dislike the video or leave a nasty comment or message, but that's about it. Whenever I see something like this, I PM the person, explain to them why exposing tricks on the internet when they're not yours to begin with is wrong, and hope that they stop. Most of the time, they do. Sometimes, they don't. But at least i would have attempted to get at least ONE exposure video off the interwebs, and what little progress it may be, it's still progress.

Jul 16, 2011
My previous post was a little bit harsh. I think Aaron Williams hit the nail on the head with this issue. The internet has done plenty of good things for magic. Its indeed bad magicians who have no respect for the art who ruin it.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'll bring in a second dead horse. Those so-called magicians are only learning to do party stunts, not perform magic. They are robbing themselves by acting like this.

Not as bad as they are robbing the content creators and magicians in general.

I'm going to agree with Aaron as well. My first reaction was to say: sign up to their forums with a disposable user name and email address, then rage at them directly. That very thought was why I didn't post anything yesterday. It was too counter-productive. Aaron's idea is better.

Feb 7, 2011
Youtube today.

theart.jpg

On the right side of the picture, thought you's might want to discuss.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
They revealed Ziplocked on that site. I tried confronting them and...well, it got ugly and they revealed it anyways. I just stepped back

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
They revealed Ziplocked on that site. I tried confronting them and...well, it got ugly and they revealed it anyways. I just stepped back

One of the few cons of releasing something through DVD or Download. I have yet to see some crappy magician expose something you would find in a PDF or a book.

People who teach or learn published effects from youtube don't do it because they want to perform it, they don't do it because they "don't have the money", they only do it for a secret that they don't want to pay $10 of their PARENTS money. (Because I know they aren't old enough to make money themselves or aren't experienced enough to make money from magic)

These people only further the idea that magic is all about a secret, not a performance, not an effect, not people, but a secret or a puzzle that must be figured out. I only hope that this kind of stuff comes to a halt, and fast.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results