Stage Magic....Where Do I Begin?

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
So...After a well deserved magic break...I decided to devote my time to stage magic...since I´ve been thinking that´s the next step into my magic career...since I have dominated close-up magic...

Another reason is that I have a lot of awesome ideas that can only be done in stage magic, and I want bigger exposure...and I have seen some magicians of my country...and they suck!!! I cannot let those guys keep ruining the magic!!!

So I already have 4 strong routines...but I need some ideas...if you wish I can describe my acts...and you could give me suggestions for books, material, tips...etc....

Mar 27, 2010
Aunque no me creas, te recomiendo mandarle un mensaje pribado a JB. El solía tener un show de escena de grandes ilusiones y es super buena onda, se va a dar el tiempo de responderte, es super buena onda el compadre

Jul 10, 2010
McAllen, TX
www.wix.com
Your show is going to need a quiet theme that isn't exactly obvious, but it should be there. You referring to it every once in a while. For example, my show is categorized as mentalism, but isn't presented that way. It's based off of either coincidence, luck, magic, odds, etc. Basically the audience will decide what they saw. It's a little hard to describe so I hope you get the picture. Once you get a theme, then you start finding things that will fit into your show well. Once you do that, routine them together. Strong opener (something relatively fast), Strong Middle piece, and HUGE Finale. It should be like a roller-coaster going up and down.

Aug 2, 2011
California
Aunque no me creas, te recomiendo mandarle un mensaje pribado a JB. El solía tener un show de escena de grandes ilusiones y es super buena onda, se va a dar el tiempo de responderte, es super buena onda el compadre

I'm pretty sure JB doesnt do "grand illusion". Luis, what type of stage act do you have going. Are you interested in grand illusion, manipulation, etc?

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I'm no mentalist, but I feel the same way you do about many stage magicians today. I've seen many tiresome acts that are leading me to the stage to show audiences what a magic performance is suppose to be like.
Some performers that I respect are Justin Kredible, Michael Kent, Derek Hughes, along with many others that have escaped my mind at the moment.
I'm not a big illusion guy, so I'm attempting to adapt some of my close-up magic to stage. It's very interesting and I'm looking forward to how thing will play out for me.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
As I mentioned to you on E, the answer here centers on what aspect of Stage Magic you want to move into and too, the sort of venues & markets that are available to you right now as a new act just starting out. . . what you may want to do may not be practical in the here and now, so that has to be taken into account as you start down this path.

I'll be merciful and not repeat my previous post (you're welcome), but at the same time i will point out that 90% of the answer to this question is stuff you already know -- starting with what it is you personally envision, what YOUR strengths and deficits are, what works best with your natural character or, if you actually have the savvy and ability to pull off either a more whimsical or darker style of entity (WARNING: Dark & Heavy is very hard to pull off and not nearly as profitable as some would like to believe).

If you are looking at the club or even college circuits you must have a bit of levity sewn into what you do. You don't have to be a comedian but the unfortunate truth is, they tend to be the type of magic person that "makes it" when it comes to steady work over those of us that move along the more traditional paths. I'll also point out that "busking" ain't the same; while you can use certain bits from a busking set in a club/stage act, the audience mind-set is totally different and adjustments will be required. Nonetheless, busking & traveling with a side show/carnival for a year or two will be awesome in way of real world experience is concerned -- the hardest job you'll learn to love.

Study others, learn from the guys & gals that are working what makes them novel and successful. Don't study them for the sake of the tricks they do but rather, the sense of entertainment they give. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THE ACT THEY DO, it was designed for them and not for you. You can only do the stuff that is you and no one else can really help you until you start laying down your own definitions, vision, goals & plan.

You know how to find me. . . best of luck!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results