Confessions

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Hey guys I thought it would interesting to discuss a few of the things which don't normally get talked about, our magic confssions these can be simple things things or confessions related to products.

I have never used a double undercut to control a card and honestly I don't think I ever will.
I believe that Miraskill and OOTW are two of the most under appriciated tricks in card magic.
I have several effects I never perform for no reason even though in my opinion they are the strongest effects in mentalism.
I often usethan muscle reading as a premise however I rarely use it as a method.
I never leave my house without a deck of cards yet I always forget a stack of billets.
I believe the Jinx Switch, Cross Cut Force and to a lesser extent the Top Change are under appricated.
I have never performed with an ultra mental deck (invisible) although I have performed several impromptu variations on the plot.

I will post more later.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't present magic as "magic" to anyone.
I hate mentalists that have no technical skill
I can't stand cocky magicians/mentalists
I spend way too much time on the art, I lost a girlfriend over it recently
I believe that if you have a poor sense of humor or take yourself too seriously you're in the wrong line of work.
I think people who don't know the history of the effects and sleights they perform are lazy.
I won't ever do stage magic. Only stage mentalism.
I think most of the older generation of magic has their heads up their asses
I think many of the younger generation of magic do too.
Any magician that refuses to or can't do sleight of hand isn't a magician.
I don't mentalism is a branch of magic - not a separate art form.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I think coin magic is really difficult. I picked up card magic relatively quickly but I cannot do the same with coins.
I have serious trouble palming cards, and my hands are plenty big.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
A little over a year. I'm a student of Aaron Fisher. My passes are pretty solid, but palming (or at least the double undercut bottom palm) is giving me trouble.

I dislike the clipshift even though it seems every young magi I meet loves it.

I love coin magic more than cards

I have spent way too much money on stuff I like but I never use

Magicians, specifically young ones, have no sense of showmanship IMO.

I am convinced that most magic clubs and conventions are attended by old white guys.

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I'm proud to have found such powerful effects from books that I'm sure barely anyone will perform because they are hidden in text.
I've never attended a lecture or convention
I'm proud to not spend a lot of my time around magicians, I feel there is a lot of poison in doing so.
I feel like a majority of my time in magic up until December of 09' was a lot of time wasted, I found my niche in practicing and actually performing. I had a ah-ha moment in San Diego after messing up a routine and saw it as a stepping stone.
My job as a treatment attendant at a chemical dependancy center mixed with doing magic/entertaining allows for patients to have a smoother time in treatment. I have received feedback from literally hundreds of recovering addicts that it does so and I take much pride in it.
I do magic and mentalism and feel I put forth much effort into both and give them the time and blood, sweat, and tears they deserve.
I'm grateful that my girlfriend of 3 years deals with my magic and supports me, even though she does roll her eyes the majority of the time when I ask," Hey!...Can I show you a new one?"
I do magic for the people and make sure that they are involved somehow to achieve the effect, I try my best to avoid the look-what-I-can-dos.
I believe that magic should be a catalyst to meeting new people or even conversing with the people you already know.
I think magic should be more of a A and B conversation than the magician completely taking the spotlight
I fully believe that magic should be taken seriously but in the act of doing so you shouldn't take yourself too seriously and try to force upon the spectators that you are doing real magic, because if you do so then you are only fooling yourself. Our spectators are smarter than we credit them for and at the end of the day it's just pure entertainment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
I feel like a majority of my time in magic up until December of 09' was a lot of time wasted, I found my niche in practicing and actually performing. I had a ah-ha moment in San Diego after messing up a routine and saw it as a stepping stone.
Miss ya Nick, Allen and I are awaiting your next visit.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I know too many effects that require a set up deck
I think Jumbo Cards are cool
I've had my Fakini billiard balls for a year and still haven't mastered a routine
I've skipped around while reading Card College
I have a silks in every size and color
I have more magic books than I can ever read
I get a kick out of using a one way forcing deck
I own two effects that involve woman's underwear
I have DVDs that I haven't found the time to watch (and just bought three more)
I love gimmicked decks (ID, Brainwaive, Stripper, Svengali, Mene Tekle, Mirage, Khardova, Etc.)
I want to learn how to pull a rabbit out of a hat
I have the urge to beat everyone who performs just using say-do-see patter
My pass sucks
I have the urge to beat everyone who just performs for a webcam
I've hoarded 5 bricks of the original rider backs and am afraid to open the packs in case I run out
I want to smack TV magicians when they say "it that fair" or "every card is different."

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I don't own Tarbell and never will.
Dai Vernon has never had a profound impact on me (shoot me)
Saying "is that fair" in a performance is ungodly annoying.
I think older magicians are stuck in the past, and young magicians think old magic is awful.
I have spent way too much money on magic that I never perform.
I think coin bends are the dumbest magic effect ever created.
I am a levitation fanatic, yet I hate loops.
I have a "fetish" for CTW, yet I cannot find one I like besides Kaos.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I often practice effects for weeks after they're performance ready in fear of messing them up in performance.
I buy effects I know I wont use.
I (also) skipped around when reading Card College.
I palm cards when it's unnecessary because of the feeling of accomplishment.
I don't always follow advice I give other magicians.
Failure doesn't always motivate me...sometimes it's demoralizing.
I spent a year immersed in mentalism, only to never perform any mental feats.
That year made my sleight of hand sloppy, I still haven't taken time to fix some sleights.
I forget tricks when asked to perform, so I always end up doing the same ones instead of new ones.

Apr 5, 2009
Rubberband magic is my favorite(allthough it seems layman like it least)
I hate invisible thread with a passion and am not of fan of anytype of levitation or animations
coin magic im my least faveorite i only preform 2 coin tricks.
i own way way way too many magic dvds of tricks that i dont do
david blaine is my idol and is why i do magic
calen morelli is my favorite new magician
i carry all my money gimmicks(extream burn2.0 greed fraud seial biller and twisted) in my superslim hip pocket mullica so if i ever loose that wallet ill loose over $150
Psypher and note are my only real mentalism tricks that i do but i have a bunch of others
card tricks are my least favorite yet i do and know the most card tricks over any other kind of magic
i have yet to find a workable coin bend and torn and restored card

Apr 1, 2011
England
I find coin magic the most impressive form of magic but I know far more card sleights and effects than coin ones.

I prefer books to dvds and find I learn better from books however I have many more dvds than books.

Jan 20, 2009
California
I Think Dai vernon is overrated
I have over 300 magic books and read them all
My wife can clipshift in both hands and i cant do it in one
I will never purchase any download from any magic site
I think youtube magicians have there head so far up ther ass they can taste
what they had for dinner
I do not care if people expose magic
I really enjoy rope magic but do not do any rope tricks
I Think people who dress up as elmo,barney sponge bob or any other characters for kids
partys are perverts.
I feel i spent way to much money on magic, and will spend even more
I really feel there was a second gunman on the grassy knoll "Back and to the left"

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
I hate David Blaine...I don`t find it impressive..neither entertaining...
I also think Dai vernon and other classic magicians are way to overrated..
I invent effects from once in a while..only to never perform them or use them...
Each time I want to finish my Manifesto.. A new idea comes up..and I never continue...
I laugh very hard each time I read here or other forums, "hey I invented a new effect!! do you think I should sell it?"
Each time I see very bad magic in my country...I decide to continue doing it..

I hate the "rabbit out of the hat trick" yet...I performed it in my last show!!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results