• Yes, please film all three!

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Only the Block Head

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Only the Animal Traps

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Only the Eye Kernal

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Nope I'm not interested in any of this.

Votes: 7 18.9%

• Total voters
Would there by any interest within the community if I were to produce some geek magic for download on the Wire? I'm thinking about filming my handling of the Human Blockhead, Animal Traps, and Eye Kernel.

I'm just doing a little market research first before I go tossing my hat into the ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 1, 2009
I don't see why not, there are plenty of people who are interested in geek magic and don't know where to start, or just haven't been exposed to it. Go for it if you see fit.

Jacob

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Call me a spoil-sport, but I find such things passe . . . granted, I've worked side shows more than a few times and in my opinion that is where such bits need to stay (other than ADULT venues) simply because too many kids get hurt trying to do what we do.

IMPORTANT POINT: The quickest way to get a person to do something is to tell them NOT to do it. When it comes to gross, dangerous and down-right weird stuff "kids" (especially teens) will be very tempted to do them, especially when a bit drunk and dared to do so. {end of warning rant}

My other issue with this type of material is a throw-back to things I was lectured about when I was in my 20's and doing a lot of these same stunts -- they're generally tasteless or "low" amusements that pander to a "lower class" of audience. I know that sounds crass, even arrogant, but it is an important point when you are weighing things from a career point of view and what "the establishment" (the people that can get you moving down the right paths) see things. Breaking away from the stigma this particular style of "magic" offers us, isn't easy so "Buyer Beware" would have to be my best recommendation.

Personally, I love this kind of stuff (I am the guy that first slashed his arm open in order to find someone's chosen card after all), but my experience suggests that we must be cautious as to when, how & why we include it in our material.

Craig, I can see your point, but this sort of stuff is one of mainstays of my stage shows, and I take it you use them in yours also, so wouldn't it be better for William to release these and give all of the safety advice he can, rather than people just trying it out? At least if he brought these out then people would know how to perform these stunts safely.

When you say 'A lower class' of audience I don't think thats true. A guy over here in the UK, Pete Firman, tours yearly and has appeared on television all over the world, from doing the Freak Stunts that William wants to teach. Also one of my friends Paul Dabek performs on cruise ships, around the UK, at all of the high class cabaret venues, and he has a good 5 minute routine with the blockhead.

Of course, these stunts are dangerous and stupid, and being honest I'm pretty sure most of the people who perform any of these stunts will be scared stiff of trying them at a first attempt which is good, but if William can at least give them all the safety advice as possible then they can have some guidance if they wish to learn them.

Simon_Magic

I would like to see all three. If you end up submitting them I would like to hear about your experience with the wire. An inside look could help other magicians with their efforts.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Craig, I can see your point, but this sort of stuff is one of mainstays of my stage shows, and I take it you use them in yours also, so wouldn't it be better for William to release these and give all of the safety advice he can, rather than people just trying it out? At least if he brought these out then people would know how to perform these stunts safely.

When you say 'A lower class' of audience I don't think thats true. A guy over here in the UK, Pete Firman, tours yearly and has appeared on television all over the world, from doing the Freak Stunts that William wants to teach. Also one of my friends Paul Dabek performs on cruise ships, around the UK, at all of the high class cabaret venues, and he has a good 5 minute routine with the blockhead.

Of course, these stunts are dangerous and stupid, and being honest I'm pretty sure most of the people who perform any of these stunts will be scared stiff of trying them at a first attempt which is good, but if William can at least give them all the safety advice as possible then they can have some guidance if they wish to learn them.

Simon_Magic

I do agree of course, I was just pointing out a few things that get overlooked when it comes to this kind of material and the "darker truth" as it were, around it.

I've done far too much geek & side show stuff over the years. . . oi!

Jul 13, 2009
Mr. Browning, you should post a video of how to cut a card...from your forearm. Bloody good idea. ;)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I actually caught a lad in the UK trying to steal that effect and had the nerve to tell me his theory but wanted pointers on how to make the gaff. . .

I've thought about putting it on the market but compared to some of the stuff people have out now days, the method would seem rather crude.

Jul 13, 2009
I actually caught a lad in the UK trying to steal that effect and had the nerve to tell me his theory but wanted pointers on how to make the gaff. . .

I've thought about putting it on the market but compared to some of the stuff people have out now days, the method would seem rather crude.

Yes, I see what you mean. However, its a terrific lil bit for some performers. Though I belive the demographic might not be the right one heh. The method is crude for most magicians, but not for myself heh. I researched it and found the link on the cafe (Good luck finding it on there haha!), we do something similar at the haunted house I work at. One of the performers is going to do something similar, but instead of the arm, he is cutting open his stomach and pulling out cotton candy. It's fair to note he is a clown.

But on another note, do you mind either messaging me or telling me what the name of that ezine was again? It's been awhile and the name has escaped my sponge of a brain.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results