Introducing an illusion and deceptions unit for LA

Dec 10, 2008
Hey guys tomorrow im introducing an illusions and deceptions unit for my language arts class for every period and i was hoping you could give me some good suggestions for that type of theme i have a plethora of effects i do i just cant decide so suggestions or help would be much appreciated. :)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
How can you offer a class and not already have a curriculum outlined and ready to go?

As has been asked, are you dealing with total newbies, curiosity crazies, or folks that already have some reasonable knowledge & skill sets? Too, what area of Magic are you going to deal with?

If you have newbie then it's easy; you give them a good cover-all course. If I were doing it I'd simply include the Mark Wilson course as the primary Text and walk through it from point A-B. On the other hand, you may have some learned pupils that want training in key areas, which can be a huge snag; no one knows everything and no one excels and has solid performing experience in more than two or three key arenas (at least, if they are going to be good at it that's the case) In other words, we can only teach what we know, so what do you know. . . I don't mean the basics, I mean hard knowledge. . . let me explain. . .

If I were doing a class on Grand Illusion I wouldn't just cover "The Sawing in Half" and show them the evolution of the effect from Sielbit to Stinemeyer, I'd take the time to show them the nuances when it comes to design, deception, practicality of the system and what the trade-offs are between a cabinet built of Owen vs. one made by Abbott's and so forth. Same with the Asrah, there's dozens of different ways of do accomplishing this effect and while most have the same basic gimmick, there are still major differences. At one point I owned 6 completely different Asrah forms that could be used in different settings and/or give me a different kind of vanish.

This is something all instructors (good teachers) will weigh be it a talk on the Cups & Balls or a demonstration on Alternative Energy systems.

I have what most consider to be "vast" knowledge on magic but the truth, if we break things down, is that I really only know two key areas; big illusions and mentalism. I have some experience doing close-up, escapes and of course "Bizarre" type magick, but they really aren't my area of strength (though I do have a strong connection to the Bizarre) but I do not feel that I'm qualified to actually "teach" anything even remotely in-depth and informative in those areas. Granted, I'm picky and maybe expect too much of myself or those I seek to learn from, but it's likewise my comfort level and to some degree "ego" -- I don't want to be seen as the professor that can't answer the questions or who is overly disorganized.

I'd suggest you slow down and create a game plan first.

Dec 10, 2008
this is for a language arts class, laymen spectating to introduce the idea of illusions and deceptions for a language arts class

Dec 10, 2008
No? my techer wants me to perform because the unit she's teaching is called 'illusions and deceptions' why would i do that im a performer i dont go out and expose magic for fun. I was just wondering what effects you guys would perform if you were in my position i have my set layed out already but i would like to see how you guys would present it. Maybe i worded my first post wrong or something because everybody seems to be talking about teaching magic.

Well mate, I don't know if you realize this yet or not, but I'm not a mind reader. I have no more of an idea what you are doing than the person sitting next to me. I can only go off what you say.

Up until now you've made it sound like you were teaching a class about magic and deception, and asking what material you were going to cover. Then you said it wasn't a class for magicians, it was for laymen. So that makes me think you're exposing magic to people who aren't there to learn it. Which in turn leads me to my question.

So yes perhaps better, or more clear communication would help.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I have to agree with William, you're not being very "coherent" or specific enough when it comes to a few things;

• What is being asked (expected) of you by the teacher?
  • What is your vision; what do you hope to get from the experience and too, what do you hope to leave the participants with?
  • What kind of magic are you most qualified in when it comes to experience & skill?
  • Are you trying to reveal peculiarities -- deception -- within language (such as how lawyers and sales people are able to twist words)?

There are simply too many variables and you really have confused what it is you wish to make happen.

If I were to address a Language-focus class on the idea of "Illusions (deception)" within language I think I'd be looking at source material that deals specifically with this concept, such as the WONDER WORDS series. While it was penned to help performers develop better scripts it likewise deals with NLP type correlations and as such, you will find perspectives on how stating things one way can mean something entirely different than what the person hearing it would interpret it as meaning. You can do the same with punctuation tricks, showing how a comma in the right point of a sentence totally transform the emphases. Even the use of color and shape (written description or spoken) can lead a person towards a specific idea by way of subliminal programming, anchoring, pacing & leading, etc.

This is a HUGE area that's open to a plethora of effects IF you are experienced and skilled enough to pull them off. You have to be exceptionally well rehearsed, have solid management skills with your audience & helpers, and know how to shift gears when things don't happen as they're "supposed to"... language manipulation and forces are some of the more difficult and least sure-fire modes in magic/mentalism, so don't think for a second that someone is going to name a "Rose" just because you told them to name the first flower that comes to mind.

I believe you said that you have time (a few months?) to pull this together. . . if so, then you haven't time to waste should you wish to move along this particular corridor. I'm biased in that we're talking about Mentalism styled work that, when framed and presented properly, can be quite devastating; a solid routine based on this sort of stuff could easily be a career launcher (ask Joel Bauer, it's right up his alley).

If you are planning to take a more traditional magic approach or worse, loads of card tricks, I really can't see it working or. . . I should say. . . I can't see it being as psychologically effective and viable. But let's look at your thinking and where you believe things should go and build from there. . . that is, if I've not scared you off. :D

Dec 10, 2008
Okay let me explain: My language arts class has a unit called deceptions and illusions. My teacher wants me to perform for the classes to introduce that unit. Thats what i've been talking about.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Just one thing though, this seems like your teacher is going to have you perform and then she'll "expose" how you did it to show the "deception" and "Illusion" part. This could pretty much make impossible for you to perform for friends for a long time because afterwards they're just going to keep trying to actively find out how you did it.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Not unless he performs a trick that is intended to expose the method only to have a surprise kicker at the end in which the teacher and class would be fooled.

Maybe a gambling demonstration? Pickpocket demonstration?

It's what used to be known as a "Sucker" effect -- you lead them in on one level and apparently expose something but then you prove it all to be something entirely different such as the Sponge Ball to Cube + Color Changed Ball * Back Stage with the Magician * Run Rabbit Run, etc. (lots of kiddie effects work on this premise). . . one of current vogue is the Crystal Cups & Balls, a routine that seems to expose the C&B but actually becomes far more bewildering the closer people watch it (look for the Penn & Teller or Jason Latimer videos) * Gag bits like Silk to Egg or the old Torn & Restored Napkin. One of my favorites is the What's Next spot card in that you apparently tip the gag as part of a "lesson" in how to make a 4 sided card with one dot on one side, 4 on the back side of it, 3 on the backside of that and finally 6 on the last of the 4 sides. . . but, in the routine ending you actually do end up with 8 total dots on one side... it will be the best $20.00 you ever spent.

You may want to use an "Instant Stooge" set-up in which you literally cue people that come up to help you to do certain things and then, after the big Kudo moment, you bow and flash the card that reads "JUST GO ALONG WITH ME, THEY WON'T KNOW"

There's tons of gags that fit this niche of faux exposure, you just need to use your imagination a bit.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results