Poker size vs. Bridge size

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Hi I wanted to make create this thread a while ago. It happens that in the country I live (Ecuador), there is not a playing card corporation like in the US. The problem with this is that the only playing cards avaible at a decent price are bridge size decks, I say decent price because the standard bicycle deck costs around 25-30 bucks.

My questions are:
1. Do you think bridge size decks are inferior? If so, specify why (before you answer remember how much each one costs here)
2. Performing to an audience that hasn't seen a poker size deck before is fair?

Please give your thoughts because I'm starting to feel like a noob while using bridge size while everyone else uses poker size, I love cardistry but poker sized decks don't seem to fit in the context where I practice and perform

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
If that is the case, then continue to use bridge sized decks, although it probably means that you will have to practice flourishes differently, since all instructional dvds or books are asumming you use poker size cards. 25 dollars is ridiculous!

Jan 11, 2011
Have you tryied buying bikes online (ebay or sth)? I'm sure you can get them cheaper than that.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
There's nothing wrong with using bridge-sized cards. However, you can get bicycle decks cheaper than $10 a deck. What you need to do is go on eBay and buy them in bulk. Even with shipping, if you buy 12 decks together, they'll be cheaper than $10 per deck.

However I'd have to deal with my country's customs, they will probably add extra taxes for volume and weight of the shipment. However it's a good option

Sep 10, 2011
Cebu City, Philippines
However I'd have to deal with my country's customs, they will probably add extra taxes for volume and weight of the shipment. However it's a good option

There's nothing wrong with using bridge-sized cards. However, you can get bicycle decks cheaper than $10 a deck. What you need to do is go on eBay and buy them in bulk. Even with shipping, if you buy 12 decks together, they'll be cheaper than $10 per deck.

Continue using what you have. IMO, using a bridge size deck instead of a poker size deck isn't inferior, it's just that a poker size deck has some certain advantages the bridge size deck doesn't have. Just be practical because seriously, 25-30$?! That's way high. I agree with MagicZack24, go for eBay or you can order here. :D

True, customs can really drive up the price. If you can't get them for a somewhat reasonable price, just keep using bridge cards. I use bridge cards any time I have a routine that requires a palm, since my hands aren't wide enough to conceal a poker-sized card.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
this may seem like a daft question....but are the cards you use any different to the bog standard cards sold everywhere? I hear people talking about the price of cards and it all seems rather expensive. I have just found a place selling Bicycles for £2 a pack here in the uk. ($3.10)
http://www.kaymarmagic.com/shopexd.asp?id=152

are these good cards or a cheep imitation? would they be ok for me to buy a few packs and learn with? I'm a complete beginner.

Sep 11, 2011
Florida, USA
xmetal.me
this may seem like a daft question....but are the cards you use any different to the bog standard cards sold everywhere? I hear people talking about the price of cards and it all seems rather expensive. I have just found a place selling Bicycles for £2 a pack here in the uk. ($3.10)
http://www.kaymarmagic.com/shopexd.asp?id=152

are these good cards or a cheep imitation? would they be ok for me to buy a few packs and learn with? I'm a complete beginner.

Well the package looks right. I'll assume they are real, but you'd have to buy a deck to see. Here in the US you can get a 2-pack of those for just a few dollars. If they are real, those would be perfectly acceptable to use and are certainly the most used decks around.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results