Performance Styles

Jul 31, 2011
LA LA land
Hi guys.

I was wondering what you guys think about certain performance styles, i.e. presenting it as real magic, presenting as sleight of hand, presenting it a just a trick (like the James Randi clip in the Media Section), etc. I hope you guys know what I'm talking about, and if you do, have at it. :)

Do you think that certain styles garner stronger reactions?

-towcheeze

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
My style is very much like my own personality. When someone changes who they are completely when they perform magic, I get annoyed. It's one of my pet peeves. I don't really present anything a certain way. I just show it as something really cool that I can do or that just happens. I actually never say the word "magic" in my routine, so if they assume it's real magic, they got there on their own.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
Just like Aaron I hate presenting magic as real magic, as a miracle. Because it doesn't fool anybody. My favorite performance style is like daniel madison or dan and dave; flourishy and visual. I also dislike doing magic that needs a table, gimmick or setup. I only like fully impromptu tricks and flourishes.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Aaron I couldnt agree with you more. People can sense when you are faking something or acting. And performing shouldnt have to be a stress on you because you have to go into magician mode and throw on a pair of aviators and become David Blaine. Don't get me wrong i'm a big fan of Blaine's. I just meant that like everything in life you should be yourself. Doing so will make your magic better. For example lets keep running with the Blaine thing. Say that you are a happy go lucky person who is always in conversation with someone and makes people laugh. But then as soon as you pull out a deck of cards it like, "Okay......I want you to pick a card.....(Serious face) Now that was a free choice right? etc" That will weird a lot of people out. But I have noticed that I perform magic that is geared towards how I am and what I find really cool more often than other things that I know. Moral of the story is just be yourself. Dont worry about scripts or styles so much. Take each performance on a case by case basis and work with each one of your spectators individually. And remember to have fun yourself. Performing magic shouldnt have to be a chore for you.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm going to call into question the experience of the magicians who have responded to this point thus far. There are many sweeping statements above that I feel don't hold any water -

Aaron, why does it bother you?

Rich, first off, look up Rene Lavand. Then Slydini. Let me know if they fool anyone. The fear of not performing magic as "magic" is usually spawned by the fear of getting caught and called out on it. It's a pretty tall order to lie about magic, and only the bold and brave do so. Whether they fail from that point forward is another story. To be fair, there are people and legitimate reasons why people don't present it as "magic", but it's normally a crutch.

Crimson, I think you're a bit jaded from having seen so many people try to act, and fail. The thing is, you told us that just being yourself would make your magic better, then you cited a person who acts when he performs. I think you've been duped. Also, I think it's an important step when a magician realizes he needs a script and a style, but if you're not there yet - don't deter other people from taking that step.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
I'm going to call into question the experience of the magicians who have responded to this point thus far. There are many sweeping statements above that I feel don't hold any water -

Rich, first off, look up Rene Lavand. Then Slydini. Let me know if they fool anyone. The fear of not performing magic as "magic" is usually spawned by the fear of getting caught and called out on it. It's a pretty tall order to lie about magic, and only the bold and brave do so. Whether they fail from that point forward is another story. To be fair, there are people and legitimate reasons why people don't present it as "magic", but it's normally a crutch.

Crimson, I think you're a bit jaded from having seen so many people try to act, and fail. The thing is, you told us that just being yourself would make your magic better, then you cited a person who acts when he performs. I think you've been duped. Also, I think it's an important step when a magician realizes he needs a script and a style, but if you're not there yet - don't deter other people from taking that step.

I'm not questioning whether it works or not, just saying it's not my prefered style. I don't like calling magic as a miracle, since I like performing for friends and people informally, not professionally.

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not questioning whether it works or not, just saying it's not my prefered style. I don't like calling magic as a miracle, since I like performing for friends and people informally, not professionally.

My response was to the statement you made saying - "because it doesn't fool anybody." I have nothing against your style, Daniel Madison and Dan and Dave are awesome performers. You don't HAVE to do anything, I perform professionally and I still don't call it real magic

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN

Well, magic is meant to be believable. And what's more believable than something real? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with creating a character when performing, but when you are COMPLETELY different only when you're performing, then there's a problem. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer someone who is silly and goofy and fun to be around in any normal situation and stay in that mode when performing, than someone who meets the above attributes and is suddenly mysterious, quiet, and scary.

I guess it all comes down to authenticity. If you can pull off an authentic personality when you're both in the spotlight AND out, go for it. But if you're going to completely change from the moment you pull out a deck of cards or anything else you'll use for a trick, (especially with people you're still having a normal conversation with) then people won't respond to that positively, and eventually, will become less engaged in either your performance, or you (in general).

So why not avoid all of these negatives and just be yourself? Nobody's going to criticize you for it, and it'll provide a more authentic performance.

Sep 1, 2007
So why not avoid all of these negatives and just be yourself? Nobody's going to criticize you for it, and it'll provide a more authentic performance.

I agree with you here, but you also encourage the easy out - I think people that use characters would argue that it can provide a more effective performance.

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
I think what Aaron is saying is good, but it doesn't have to be a black and white thing. I think your character can definitely change when you are performing, but it should still be relevant to who you are when you're not performing. You can become more mysterious when you pull out a deck of cards, but as Aaron pointed out, it's unsettling when someone's persona completely changes in an instant.

Jul 13, 2009
Is magic meant to be believable?

Emotionally salient perhaps, but believable?

I think it all depends on what your definition of "Magic" is. Magic now could mean a guy performing tricks and deceitful things or there could be a small niche that believe magic is a sort of spirituality. No one can deny that magic, could have had, a significant influence on Spirituality in the past.

I personally never perform when I'm not in control of the environment. I don't perform gorilla style magic on the street and to random people, I will only perform closeup and parlor on a stage. The reason I would do this is simple, if you market yourself as a wizard the people that will come to watch you perform will either by skeptics or believers. Both share a common want, they want to believe that what you are doing is real. Do I say I perform real magic? No, I only suggest that what you are seeing is real magic. If you are going to base your performance around the exposure that you are doing the sleight of hand, don't call yourself a magician and don't call what you do magic. To us within the magic community its magic, but not to your uninitiated participants. Why purposely enforce the idea to laymen that magic=sleight of hand or dexterous fingers?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I present it as a mystery. If somebody wants to believe I did REAL magic than more power to them, who am I to tell them otherwise? if they want to believe it's something else, then again more power to them.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Compare Shrek 3 and Toy Story 3. At the end of the Shrek, it is nothing but a cartoon with a funny donkey. At the end of Toy Story 3, you almost believe that toys can talk and you are certain that if they did it would be exactly like in the movie. Shrek amused you but Toy Story 3 engaged you.

Is your magic a bunch of tricks performed by a funny donkey or something that your audience wants to be real because your presentation engaged them?

Sep 13, 2011
London, UK
Compare Shrek 3 and Toy Story 3. At the end of the Shrek, it is nothing but a cartoon with a funny donkey. At the end of Toy Story 3, you almost believe that toys can talk and you are certain that if they did it would be exactly like in the movie. Shrek amused you but Toy Story 3 engaged you.

Is your magic a bunch of tricks performed by a funny donkey or something that your audience wants to be real because your presentation engaged them?

Great point RealityOne! Odd metaphor, but accurate. :)

The thing which we can sometimes forget within magic is that these effects which we do are, when delivered well, capable of being the greatest thing your spectators will have ever seen. Personally, I don't think I deliver that. At least not consistently.

Have you got any tips to help provide a richer, more memorable performance?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Have you got any tips to help provide a richer, more memorable performance?

In a way, you have to start with the end in mind. What do you want the spectator's to remember? That you did something which they can't figure out? That isn't too memorable (or a very pleasant memory). Rather, you want the spectator's to remember what the effect meant to them. Meaning can be emotional, intellectual or even humorous. Not every effect can or should be presented with meaning, but when you can present an effect with a strong meaning it is, well... magical.

Jun 23, 2011
Quito, Ecuador
I think it all depends on what your definition of "Magic" is. Magic now could mean a guy performing tricks and deceitful things or there could be a small niche that believe magic is a sort of spirituality. No one can deny that magic, could have had, a significant influence on Spirituality in the past.

I personally never perform when I'm not in control of the environment. I don't perform gorilla style magic on the street and to random people, I will only perform closeup and parlor on a stage. The reason I would do this is simple, if you market yourself as a wizard the people that will come to watch you perform will either by skeptics or believers. Both share a common want, they want to believe that what you are doing is real. Do I say I perform real magic? No, I only suggest that what you are seeing is real magic. If you are going to base your performance around the exposure that you are doing the sleight of hand, don't call yourself a magician and don't call what you do magic. To us within the magic community its magic, but not to your uninitiated participants. Why purposely enforce the idea to laymen that magic=sleight of hand or dexterous fingers?

I think that no one really enforces the idea that there's no magic. I believe that the balance is to present yourself neutrally, because if you show yourself as a magician to people that have known you for a long time, they won't believe you and consequently asume that you are doing sleight of hand. On the other hand if you call yourself wizard or that you can perform miracles, there's a high chance that you'll meet many more hecklers than someone who just tells he's doing "something", one of my favorite examples is DG, he's an awesome performer, he doesn't claim neither to do real magic nor sleight of hand. just my opinion...

Jul 13, 2010
Is magic meant to be believable?

Emotionally salient perhaps, but believable?
No, magic is meant to be UNbelievable ;)

I like to point out something from "Strong Magic".
People know on an intellectual level that real magic doesn`t exist, but on an emotional level it does, it feels that way.
To appeal to the emotions of your spectators is what makes magic "magical".
This is the same that makes, as RealityOne stated, animations believable and meaningful. Without that, animations would just be some drawings or lifeless digital puppets. This is what makes music memorable and important or any other artform.
If a composition wouldn`t touch you on an emotional level, it would be a nice mental 'snack', but not something you will remember forever.
The emotional memory can memorize something important forever. Isn`t this what we want ? Something intellectual will most probably be forgotten in a hurry.
IMO undermining the magical atmosphere by pointing out that magic or miracles don`t exist is counterproductive.
Of course they know, but why harp on about it ?
It doesn`t mean you are forced to be the classic, stereotype "pull the rabbit out of the hat"-magician.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 13, 2011
London, UK
In a way, you have to start with the end in mind. What do you want the spectator's to remember? That you did something which they can't figure out? That isn't too memorable (or a very pleasant memory). Rather, you want the spectator's to remember what the effect meant to them. Meaning can be emotional, intellectual or even humorous. Not every effect can or should be presented with meaning, but when you can present an effect with a strong meaning it is, well... magical.

RealityOne, that's a great point. People should be listening to you, you know what it's all about. Personally, if I'm asking myself what my 'end product' needs to be, it suddenly becomes clear what magic performance should be all about. I think spectators should come away from my performances thinking it was:

Entertaining
Extraordinary
Surprising
Emotional
Engaging

A surprising number of those began with 'E', didn't they? Maybe with a little more tweaking I could have The Five E's of magic or something. Anyway, these are they types of things which I want people to feel when they see the magic which I do.

I suppose it all comes down to whether the tricks which I'm doing necessarily build towards these goals? I'm not so sure they do. It's relatively easy to do the tricks, but for me its much rarer to come out of a performance feeling I really nailed it as a performance.

I dunno. Is it just me who feels like that?

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York

I didn't mean that Blaine doesn't act or play a character. What I meant is that you shouldn't strive to replicate him when you perform. But yeah I can still appreciate his style. I'm not saying that any one way is the end all be all. I am just speaking for what I have seen. And i'm not saying that you shouldn't have some kind of patter ready. I didn't say that you should ignore that altogether. What I meant is that your style should be something that fits you. Rather something that you design yourself. For example I like doing tricks that involve the use of a lighter or matches. I think they give the people that I perform for a nice little "WTF" moment when I pull them out during a card trick or just to do some small geek stuff to mess with them. Now i'm not saying that my way is the best by any means. It's just my way. And as far as patter goes. I feel that you should have some back up stuff. But to try to make it as sincere as possible. For one of my jobs I am a brand ambassador/promotional model. Basically I go to events and represent companies for whatever purpose they so chose for that event. And I learned real fast that you can't talk with everyone the same. Yeah I get emails and such from the company about all of the ins and outs and what to talk about. But I have to take into account how each person is. Noticing the smallest things can make a big difference. I personally think that this holds true in magic as well. So at the end of this long response what I basically mean is this. It's good to have patter and whatever else you want. But you should be comfortable in what you do. And you have to consider those who you are performing for.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results