Magic in silence for the deaf

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Hey guys,

I just got a text form one of my friends inviting me to something which I think is pretty awesome. She wants me to go with her to see a magician perform for a group of children. The thing is that it is an event for deaf children. Which got me thinking. Firstly it is an amazing gesture of kindness which should go without saying. But it made me think of performing without being able to speak to my audience. There are a lot of points when I rely on saying something to make people laugh or to just distract them from what I am doing at that very second. I can only imagine how hard it must be to communicate what you are doing with people who cant hear you. Now I am running under the assumption that they will have a signer translating everything that he says. But even still it sounds like a tough challange. So now I have a question for you all. How would you feel about performing with those kinds of limitations? Without using your voice to misdirect. What effects would you perform?

Sep 1, 2007
That's actually an awesome challenge. I would probably have to do my best stuff, and work my ass off to hide my sleights. Luckily magic is a very visual art, and I never thought about it - but the "dan and dave" generation might have a leg up on most of the real working magicians. Really interesting thought exercise, this one will have me thinking for a while...solid topic!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I really enjoy reading topics like this. It opens my mind up for creativity on different ways to perform tricks
I remember watching EMC and during Paul Daniels' lecture, he told a story about performing for a blind girl on stage in front of a large audience.
Either way, it puts a smile on my face knowing there are ways around disabilities so everyone can enjoy magic. ; )

Dec 11, 2010
California
Only advice I can give you is to use alot of gestures. People who sign uses facial expression to show what they mean and how they feel. If they see you using facial expression im sure that it will enhance their experience. also try to at least learn how to sign "hi my name is ____, nice to meet you" and "goodbye" in sign. They will appreciate that you took time to learn at least a little of their language.

Jun 1, 2009
To try and answer your question, I would perform spongeballs for sure. The pinch production is very visual, and it's very easy to just hold up the number of how many balls are in their hand to keep them following along. Plus a ball to bunny, square, or anything with a big finish will play very well. Cups and balls mayyybe, if you can find a good patterless version. Magic coloring book definitely, that would be great, and then any sort of cut/torn and restored item that can play big, like a rope or newspaper.

The main challenge here is to be as visual as possible and really really focus on presentation, and slowing things down so people have time to soak in the magic. You need things that don't need an explanation, so most card tricks are out. It has to be blatantly understood what's going on. "He put the cut rope in the empty bag, shook it around, and it came out restored." You don't need to say what you're doing for that. I hope you have fun at the show, learn some great things, and share with us!

Jacob

Nov 27, 2009
I have done some magic for the deaf, and I watched a show for the deaf. I can't sign, so that made it very difficult. I started with the sponge balls and it worked! A friend of mine, who can sign, saw me attempting to perform for the deaf and came to the rescue. This ended up being the coolest show I've ever seen, and my friend is now married to a hearing girl who was in the crowd that day.

Anyway all romantic notions aside, my friend gave me some advise after these show. He said that performing for the deaf is incredibly difficult because they burn you hands like no one else. He also said that you have to be able to sign to really perform for the deaf, and it's difficult because you can only sign with one hand. That's what I remember of the advise he gave me.

Performing for the deaf with an interpreter doesn't make sense when you think about it. This is asking them to watch two things at once, and that doesn't work.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Very interesting topic / opportunity. It makes me think that I would almost want to perform the routine as a mime with tons of facial expression and very visual magic. Please share how it goes and your thoughts.

Feb 7, 2011
One word to begin with - Teller!

On the subject on performing as a mime, it makes me think about the magician being deaf, which very light research has shown isn't incredibly uncommon. There is a US society for deaf magicians, and there was a festival in Italy for deaf magicians in 2010. I find it very interesting and intend to look into it further.

Aug 5, 2011
Realy cool gig you got! I know a litt sign but i wouldnt use that with coins or cards (reveal palmed items and such), do you have a interpreter with you? As i read futher up deaf will stare at your hands :). I wish you good luck and hope you`ll have FUN!

Erik.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Beans25: Isn't it? It really got me thinking. I'm still putting together what I would do. I that if I did any card work that I would stick to subtle forces and double lifts. And thats if i'm feeling like I can take on the world. Hahaha

~Illogical_Illusionist~: Please excuse me whilst I go pick up my brain after that mindblowing performance. That was amazing. He's so fluid with his movements.

DannyT: That's an awesome story. I wish that I could have seen that in person. It sounds like he created a very special moment for her.

Schism169: That makes sense. If I were in there place I would be more prone to watching a person who has taken the time to put themselves into my world. I would take it as a sign of respect. No pun intended.

JacobL: That sounds like an about right routine. I would lean towards most card tricks being ruled out too. Most of the stuff that is coming out now is way to fast paced to happen without and kind of patter.

YRAMagicMan: Yeah I see what you mean about the signer. Thats a pretty cool story though. What did you think of the show that you saw?

Rick: That mime idea is pretty cool. I'm kind of mad that I didnt think of it. All joking aside though i'll be sure to let you all know how it was the second that I can. I might even try to grab some video while i'm there.

ReservoirRed: "One word to begin with - Teller!" <--- Slapping myself for not thinking of him. But I didnt know about any of those things. I'm going to have to look into them. I love learning about things like that.

Icecool: I wish that I was in a place to get a gig like this. Thankfully though i'll get to watch. Thanks for the vote of confidence either way though.

Performing for the deaf is sooooo rewarding. I've done two gigs for the deaf, it was so much fun. I took ASL in HS so I know enough to get by without a signer. Visual things are perfect for this (sponge balls, rope magic, silk magic, money magic, linking rings) The one thing to take into consideration if you can sign, are effects where you only need one hand. If you have an interpreter, its best to meet with them before so you can coordinate your effects. One thing to take into consideration is that they will burn your hands like no one else. I know you said you're just watching someone perform, but if you ever get the chance to actually perform deff do it!

Here's a REALLY old video of me doing magic for a deaf woman at an event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULecrv6UoOU

Oct 18, 2011
I know this is an old thread but i stumbled upon it today and wanted to comment.

i am a Deaf illusionist! i perform for both hearing and deaf audiences.

its true performing for the deaf create some challenges however it should push you to be even more creative in your presentations. yes miming your act or as i suggest to other magicians that seek advice from me create some Cartoon signs to say what you want to say. it can be very funny and entertaining to whip out some instructions on signs.

you can do all sorts of things.

the most important thing is this when you are entertaining deaf children please keep in mind they are STILL children first. meaning dont shy away from tricks that require some talking or instructions or set up. there are ways around this and the kids understand especially if you are not deaf they appreciate your willingness to entertain them.

depending on the age you can get 7-10 minutes with balloons alone then think about a musical routine, yes they are deaf but turn the bass up and point it at the kids and have the speaker facing the floor and the kids will feel the vibrations. this is how i have music in my show. i have 2 monitors on stage that i feel the vibration of the music so that i know its on and can work my magic felling the bass.

any way i wanted to jump in and say that its great the attitude you guys that have posted are taking twords us that are deaf

you can visit my site
www.samsandler.com
to learn more about what i do.

if you have any questions about performing for the deaf or need some help or consultation for a show for deaf please do not hesitate to contact me.

sam

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results