How laymen think or something along those lines.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
It kinda took me by surprise. You often get told that you shouldn't be afraid doing magic tricks no matter how simple they seem to you, you are a step a head because you know the secret.

I was talking to some people after doing a few card tricks and they mentioned some guy who has a web series on vg.no(norwegian news site). Basically it's a 1 trick per episode and they mentioned an episode where he links 3 jewelry rings together. I had watched that video when it got out and to me it was painfully obvious on what was happening. I told them that there is only "one way" to link 3 jewelry rings together and I asked them if they knew what it was. They didn't know. It came as bit of a shock. It is painfully obvious to me and if you stop to think about it, it will become painfully obvious to you too if you didn't know the secret to begin with. But right off the bat, these people I talked to couldn't even think of the obvious way to link 3 jewelry rings together.

Just made me more confident for the next time I'm doing some tricks for people. And don't know, just some thoughts lol =)

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm a bit confused here, why would you want them to think about it or try to figure it out? You're talking about a $300.00+ investment someone has had to make and you either seem as if you want to prove that you know more or you're taunting your friends into figuring things out, which is it?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I'm a bit confused here, why would you want them to think about it or try to figure it out? You're talking about a $300.00+ investment someone has had to make and you either seem as if you want to prove that you know more or you're taunting your friends into figuring things out, which is it?

wow relax, neither.

Jul 2, 2011
Californiaaa
The point NlightN was trying to make it that what seems obvious to one person isn't so obvious to another, so people shouldn't be afraid of doing "simple" effects.
Doesn't have much to do with proving or taunting.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Yeah something I thought was obvious to everyone wasn't obvious to these people and they are basically "everyone".

I know the 3 ring trick gets performed all the time and it was performed in the video and it made them go "wtf?" so yeah I know it works, but I've always felt it's more of a "i dont know how the gimmick works" type of trick. but clearly it is not. surprised me a bit.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Yeah something I thought was obvious to everyone wasn't obvious to these people and they are basically "everyone".

I know the 3 ring trick gets performed all the time and it was performed in the video and it made them go "wtf?" so yeah I know it works, but I've always felt it's more of a "i dont know how the gimmick works" type of trick. but clearly it is not. surprised me a bit.

It was just in how you say that you questioned them that got me confused, goading them into thinking harder about something. But you need to understand, you might know the basics behind an effect and not catch it when a performer KNOWS the ins & outs of that piece.

Some years ago Penn & Teller deliberately tipped a particular move just prior to taking an intermission. During the intermission Jamie Swiss was strolling about the room amusing folks with card tricks -- ALL OF THEM USED THE SAME, JUST EXPOSED, MOVE. Yet, not one single individuals (including magicians) caught on to that fact.

I bring this up because it follows with the simplicity thing; none of it matters when you KNOW YOUR JOB and you know how to present something in a way that completely removes (obfuscates) the plausible explanation.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
There is also the fact that you are into magic and they aren't. So while you may know where to look online for that kind of stuff. The people who enjoyed the performance of the other guy, don't know where to look and don't really care to try to look for it.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It's up the sleeve, that's all they think. Even when you wear a tshirt some people will say it's up your sleeve.

Sep 17, 2007
No, most laymen think we use sleeves for everything. And I'm not even kidding.

As far as linking finger rings go, a lot of the deception has to do with routining and making everyone thing that the three rings being used are all borrowed.

If they didn't think the rings were borrowed from complete strangers, then the secret would be completely obvious.

It's all about presentation.

JD

Jul 5, 2009
Longview, Texas
I remember being naive (this is not on topic but it relates to the linking rings) and hoping that CA didn't use stooges (don't laugh at me). I then saw a segment of his show where he borrowed a newly wed's rings and linked them together. It showed a close up of the mans ring...At this moment I was so mad...because this man's "wedding" ring was in fact a Himber Ring. It was such an utter disappointment.

OT: I agree with your post TS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results