Thinking process:tricks creating

Nearology

Elite Member
Jan 30, 2011
Well just wanted to know the thinking process of some of you guys when creating a trick.best to hear from famous magicians around the world:)

Sep 17, 2007
Once I get the initial spark of an idea, I then start thinking about a routine. I always strive to create stuff that is real world so if I can't come up with a practical method, I shelve it, maybe come back to it later.

Once I think I have a decent idea for a method for the effect I want to create, I ask myself LOADS of questions: What's the effect to a lay person? Is it interesting? Is it new? Is the method completely justified? How can I streamline the method?...

Recently I came up with a really interesting idea for a stacked deck for a trick... only to realize that all I needed to do was prearrange four cards on top of the deck. The stacked deck idea was more creative but it wasn't necessary. And if you don't HAVE to stack a deck, then why would you?

Asking yourself a lot of questions and really thinking about the what, why, when, where, how of an effect is important. I've seen lot of tricks with clever methods that are overly complicated. I've been guilty of it myself!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results