Skeleto(What card effects are you guys working on)

Oct 9, 2011
California
Hey guys I didnt see any specific forum for new members so i thought i would post it in the card magic forum.
Im Skeleto, Im highly inerested in Card Magic & Cardistry. I hope i can meet some chill and influential card magic & card flourishers on here:).
My Question to you guys is what effects are u guys working on?
Reason why id like to know because im pretty sure u guys are all trying something different to perfect that will probably be interesting to me.
Im Currently working on: The Expert at the Card table dvd set. the artifice section is very interesting, Legerdermain Section (Magic) is very awesome and fun to practice. It amazes me on how much good material is brought in this book for being 100+ years old. What i practice in artifice section: Clean bottom dealing,Stock shuffling,Palming,Culling.
effects im working on in Legerdermain: Various shifts, colour changes, card sighting,methods of card revealing.

Nov 27, 2009
Welcome to the forum! I'm currently working through Card Control by Arthur Buckley. AMAZING book!

(Btw... I have to disagree with your signature, but that's beside the point.)

Oct 9, 2011
California
Wesley james is a sleight of hand artiste, and he is great at teaching from my perspective. However i think he is a boring performer though.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Wesley james is a sleight of hand artiste, and he is great at teaching from my perspective. However i think he is a boring performer though.

Without wanting to be presumptuous, I'd like to offer a word of warning. Wesley James, while having made some valuable contributions to magic, is by no means qualified to teach Erdnase. His understanding and execution of many of the techniques is sadly lacking. If you want to master the work in The Expert at the Card Table, then I would recommend starting from the text, rather than trusting someone else's interpretation. Especially that of Mr James.

Originally, I gave him the benefit of the doubt, thinking that maybe he was subject to time pressures, an unfavourable working environment, or other factors which meant he wasn't showing his best work. Since then, though, I've seen forum posts from him defending his work on the DVDs, which shows that he wasn't misrepresented, he genuinely thinks he knows what he's doing.

In answer to your question, I have both DVD sets, but everything I know of Erdnase (apart from historical information, and on the identity question) has come from the text.

Oct 9, 2011
California
That was very interesting and thanks for replying:) So what are your opinions on allan ackermans interpretation?
And i think i am going to study the text alot more thoroughly than i do instead of the dvds. What other kind of texts would you consider to be in the same calibur of being influential as The Expert At The Card Table?

Sep 2, 2007
London
That was very interesting and thanks for replying:) So what are your opinions on allan ackermans interpretation?
And i think i am going to study the text alot more thoroughly than i do instead of the dvds. What other kind of texts would you consider to be in the same calibur of being influential as The Expert At The Card Table?

I think Allan Ackerman's interpretation is OK, infinitely better than Wesley James' anyway. However, I would disagree with him on his execution of the various shifts, and I think there are a couple of points on the false deals that he misses. The most interesting thing on that DVD set, to my mind, is Richard Hatch's contributions about the history of the book, and the identity question.

I can't really think of another text which I would put in the same league as Erdnase. For card work, Royal Road, Expert Card Technique, and Dai Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy are must-haves, but EATCT is my Koran/Bible/Bhagavad Gita/[insert religious text of your choice].

Oct 9, 2011
California
I haveto check out Dai Vernon's Inner card Trilogy. Mr. James mentions him numerous times on the DVD set. And isnt he the only person who fooled houdini with a card trick? im pretty sure there has been more people but ive heard that Dai Vernon did.

Nov 27, 2009
Not sure what type of DL, but yes, it was an ACR, signed card and all. The story I heard is that he used the Marlo tilt move and Houdini still didn't catch it. (I believe Vernon and Marlo invented the tilt move independently, around the same time, but that's beside the point. Plus, I don't remember exactly where I heard that.)

Sep 2, 2007
London
Apparently the thing that fooled Houdini was Vernon's use of a double-backer, which weren't commonly used at the time.

Dec 12, 2010
I'm working on Card Control as well. Excellent book. I recommend any of you who don't have it (Most likely very few of you, but still.) to get it. I'm working on an ACR as well. And biddle trick is always fun to work with. :) I've also come back to Portal. Love the trick.

Oct 9, 2011
California
interesting, i love this forum you guys really know your stuff:) Im gonna look into this Arthur Buckley cause ive been hearing nothing but good things about his book. And Casey what exactly happens in the portal? i havent heard of it. is it from the card control text?

Nov 27, 2009
I don't think it's from Card Control. If I'm not mistaken, and there's a good chance that I am, it's a Dan and Dave thing. Card Control has some amazing ideas. For example, there's a method of controlling a card after it's been pushed into a pressure fan--all the way. The card isn't left sticking out of the fan, and yet you can close the fan and cut the deck and you have the card exactly where you want it. Since I can't pressure fan (yet) I use a thumb fan, and it works just as well like that.

Oct 9, 2011
California
YRA MagicMan you should post a video of you performing some of Arthur Buckley's sleights with spectators when you perfect them. cause that fan effect sounds clean:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results