Hypnosis

Oct 11, 2011
Hi, I've been getting into hypnotism recently and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on:

Books
DVDs
General advice
Street vs. Stage

Thanks

Sep 11, 2011
hmmm......Suggestions yes mind eraser by joe brogie, Advice no.....Milton ericson the best in my opinion look him up! oh oh and if you wanna check out Richard bandler he's an expert in reading people and much much more........Three words that can dramatically evolve your hypnosis are Neural lingual programming....have fun

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok, how are you "getting into" Hypnotism? Are you just curious or have you been watching all the YouTube garbage that will get you into trouble?

If you really want to learn Hypnotism and not just stage work GO TO SCHOOL. . . get board certified so you can have a legit claim to the title "Hypnotist" and too, you end up better protected (legally) than the fools that don't play by the rules. Understand, you really are playing with a person's mind and life, given how this is the typical logic used against doing Readings and how magicians would hate to be accused of double-standards, I'd think you'd want to take the high road, no?

Ormond McGill probably wrote more on both, clinical and stage Hypnosis than anyone past or present (over 100 books in total through the course of his life), much of his material sustained by Arnold Furst, another clinician/entertainer that did lots of lectures and writing of his own on the topic as well as the infancy years of NLP. I'll add, these are two men that knew and worked with Milton Erikson so some of his wisdom will be found in their material.

Ericksonian Hypnosis is potent as well as dangerous. I personally believe idiots not certified in this side of psychology need to be jailed because of how subtle and powerful this specific mode of hypnotism can be, especially when coupled with NLP related tactics (Richard Bandler's field).

Understanding these warnings I'll point you to two sources on stage hypnosis;
Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jocquine
The Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis by Ormond McGill

I'll also recommend taking some formal training such as Jerry Valley's Hypnosis Course. Jerry is one of the legends in that industry, headliner on the Queen Elizabeth cruise ship for roughly a decade or better. You may also wish to look at tapes featuring the "Hip Hypnotist" Pat Collins, one of the most unique, funny and gutsy Hyp Acts ever! She was a true goddess in how she worked and more importantly, her skills as a showman.

WARNING: You are likely to see a bunch of "experts" tell you that certification is bogus and not needed. Technically for stage performers this is true. But the other technicality, not just the legal and insurance side of things, involves income. As a licensed, board certified Hypnotist you can legally sell your own audio-video products, accept clients on the side for therapeutic treatment and more. In other words, you expand the opportunity to make money and have impact on the commercial market. You may want to think about this.

Oct 11, 2011
Thanks Craig, I have read Reality is Plastic as well as watched "The Manchurian Approach". I was considering going on one of Anthony's courses. Can you give me some more details on courses I should go on? Thanks

Sep 7, 2011
Brazil
ww.ibj.co.nz
+1 Milton Ericson.

I imagine when you are paralyzed and can do nothing but watch ... you learn the intricacies of the language of the body, and how to feed that back. He really was quite something ... who else would attempt hypnosis for blocking the pain of having a tooth pulled?
I've trained for many years in therapeutical hypnosis and don't think i would dare attempt it.

PS: If you ARE watching all the garbage on youtube ... be sure to seek his videos out.

Sep 11, 2011
Do you want to be a hypnotist? or adapt it to your magic? either way Milton ericson is the best.......I like to use hypnotism to create a more magical moment and a longer lasting one too. Use body language to enance the quality of repport between you and the spectator them to be open to your suggestions while performing.....

Oct 11, 2011
I plan on learning hypnosis as though I was going to become a hypnotist, but then mixing it with my magic

Sep 11, 2011
Very cool there's something very powerful about being a hybrid performer.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Very cool there's something very powerful about being a hybrid performer.......

That really depends; you don't want to come off as a Jack of All Trades. Focus is the secret to true success and today's magic trend seems to be a far cry from this proven truth; everyone wants to do magic tricks, mentalism, escapes and whatever else they can toss into the hat vs. have AN ACT -- a single product that talent buyers can see and "know" what they are buying vs. a crap shoot. This goes for any aspect of show biz, not just magic. For us however, it means that we are focused when it comes to the act content; tossing a dozen of our favorite ego-effects into a box IS NOT an act or show -- it's an undisciplined mess. While bottom feeders might get a C-note tossed their way here and there, most will be found on the forums complaining that they can't get gigs or get paid the big dollars they hear others bragging about.

Ormond McGill blended a few magic tricks, a fair junk of Mentalism into his full-evening hypnosis show. The "tricks" were for fun and levity -- to break the ice as well as suspense where needed and add a bit of production value to the program. The Mentalism was there as a kind of segue introducing the idea of the Power of the Human Brain, the power of words & mere suggestion, etc. It was the hall way, so to speak, that pre-conditioned the entire audience before he started the classic preliminary tests like the hand clasp. It was there to help him find the "right" subjects to bring up to the stage -- those most susceptible to induction but likewise, those most prone to follow along with his prompting (which is the primary key to successful stage Hypnosis).

Far too many of us want to do "do it all" and fail to see how our ego and fantasy can destroy opportunity and prevent us from moving forward. But look at how many of the most legendary performers in show biz, rarely did more than one or two acts (themes) for their entire career. Glenn Falkenstein & Francis Willard are a great example; they've toured the world doing little more than a blindfold act followed by the Spirit Cabinet. Mike Caveney & Tina have done the same 5 or six bits (each) for at least 35 years that I know of and they are still getting top pay and have a long list of patrons to cater to.

Learn from the positive examples out there, not the current trends.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results