Homemade Gaff Cards

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
Hi guys, I've often almost bought gaff decks multiple times, but I was always deterred by either the price or the amount of gaffs in it that I didn't see myself using. Are there methods of creating gaff cards that do not involve splitting and gluing cards, and erasing ink? I've made a full 54 deck gaff deck before, but very few cards in it looked good. Also, whenever I perform with gaffs the spectator's reaction is usually to examine the card closely and rub its face, at which point they would noticeably spot the raised edge. I have performed gaffed effects in the past with my homemade cards and simply not let them touch the cards, but that detracts from the effect in my opinion. I've seen youtube videos where people make homemade gaff decks that involve printing on cards, but I don't know how difficult this would be, and what kind of printers it would work for. The only thought I've come up with for this is photoshopping an image of the gaffed card you want to print, or a portion to print, then size it to the exact dimensions of a card, then tape a card of a piece of paper with double sided tape and line it up just right so that the card is printing on. However this seems very drawn out and complex, and it would in all likelihood destroy the finish of the card, and the ink may not print right or smudge off. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Dan

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Making a gaff card is really difficult, trust me I've tried several times in the past. I've tried printing one card onto another card via my printer, but the ink doesn't dry because of the finish on the playing cards.
I've tried erasing the ink of the cards as well with an eraser and sandpaper. Lets just say it didn't work out.
I've split a card before no problem but once glued back together, the card is pretty warped.
My advice would be: to not waste your time.

Nice name by the way.
;)

Feb 7, 2011
I believe it was daniel madison who made the point that if the gaff is a burn or something like that, it is arguably BETTER to have the card affected, and not inexplicably smooth and normal. If you can burn a card with your bare hands, or do something else to alter cards with your bare hands, the fact that the card is visually and physically altered adds to it.

Try using a laser printer for printing onto a card.

You can actually create your own gaff cards, and submit them to USPCC and have them print one or two decks for $250 each. Expensive, sure, but perhaps worth it to some.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It is difficult to print on cards using a laser printer or an ink jet printer. The only way you can do it effectively is to start with a blank card, remove the finish using nail polish remover (be careful because that stuff can damage pretty much anything it touches), print on the card and then spray with a gloss finish (essentially a clear gloss paint).

Another method is to get do it yourself iron ons (that you would use for a t-shirt) from the craft store. You can print on them and then transfer to a card. It is apparent that the card isnt normal, but I use this method tomake a personalized card that you leave withthe spectator.

Another method is in Craig Madsuda's Gaff Factory book that you can get at lybrary.com.

Thebest method is the do it yourself method sold at lybrary.com. You buy blank cards, they give you a free on line designer, you print the cards on a laser printer, buy their cutter and corner rounder and coat the cards with a clear finish.

Oct 15, 2013
Gaff cards

I have found that the best way is to buy a blank faced deck then go on something like gimp or photoshop and crop it then keep printing it out to see the size then when it is right you will stick the card to the paper in the same place and then it will print a gaff for free

Apr 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
I believe it was daniel madison who made the point that if the gaff is a burn or something like that, it is arguably BETTER to have the card affected, and not inexplicably smooth and normal. If you can burn a card with your bare hands, or do something else to alter cards with your bare hands, the fact that the card is visually and physically altered adds to it.

I really agree with this idea. The only homemade gimmicks I ever use are ones wherein it makes sense for it to be messed up looking. Anything where a card goes in my mouth, (regeneration for the most part) any burnt cards, TNR cards, things of that nature. Although I have to say that I have never had much of an issue doing full card splits and re-glues for like changing card backs or making double backers.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
I know this thread is a bit old but for informational purposes, I thought it would be a good idea to let people know they can design their own gaffs and have them professionally printed relatively cheap.

When I was planning to make my own gaffs, I also had some trouble. I ended up using google to see if I could find a company that prints "one offs." I found Make Playing Cards (makeplayingcards.com).

You can design pretty much everything in Photoshop and then upload your designs and order a deck for about $15.

Reactions: Dragonbones
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results