Need a laugh?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I hope you plan on using that "cute, clean-cut lad" thing as a marketing tool. . . be the Justin Bieber of Magic maybe?

You could use some mentoring though; find an old fart that knows cards and the style of magic you want to do and let him tear you apart and rebuild you. . . I know that sounds horrid, but what you need is a no-nonsense type that will call you on your stuff but you'll listen to them in order to get better "tighter" with you material. You have the potential, you just need some solid direction from a couple of experienced workers. Toss in a good marketing plan and you could go a long way.

Sep 9, 2010
I hope you plan on using that "cute, clean-cut lad" thing as a marketing tool. . . be the Justin Bieber of Magic maybe?

You could use some mentoring though; find an old fart that knows cards and the style of magic you want to do and let him tear you apart and rebuild you. . . I know that sounds horrid, but what you need is a no-nonsense type that will call you on your stuff but you'll listen to them in order to get better "tighter" with you material. You have the potential, you just need some solid direction from a couple of experienced workers. Toss in a good marketing plan and you could go a long way.

What do you mean by Cute, Clean-Cut? haha:p thanks, I think. I'm just a tad confused. I really appreciate that advice! I'm always very open to constructive criticism.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Confused?

Not used to getting compliments, eh?

My "job" as it were, was to track down young talent for show calls (casting) from time to time; you have a look that could prove quite commercial if sat in the right hands and provided you would be willing to let a PR company "mold you". This is the side of show biz you don't hear many people talk about in that it's one of the bigger secrets when it comes to career development. You contract with a Public Relations and/or Image Consultant whose job it is, is to sell you and your look to the general market and/or the specific niche group you wish to pander to. In your case the Justin Bieber fan base would probably be perfect because your look is similar as is what I saw of your personality. . .

I'll let you in on another little secret​

By focusing on the mid to young adult age market now, you will be able to create a generational advantage. It's a common thing in the Music Industry; appeal to the young crowd first and you'll have a solid 25+ year demand IF you don't screw things up. This is exactly why Blackstone, Jr. knew exceptional success; his father had laid a solid foundation for the Blackstone name over 50 some years which affected the memory of 3 generations, all of which came from the U.S. Heartland -- Blackstone was "America's Magician" (once Thurston passed). When Jr. took up the mantel those that remembered his father were there and guaranteed him a solid base.

Any young talent with the right look and skills can make this same type of advantage happen for themselves IF they are willing to listen to direction, stay humble for a while, and work their butts off. Some however, have a more unique star they were born under; I have the funny feeling you are one of those fortunate few. So if magic is the direction you hope to go with vocationally get an agent and not just any agents, get someone that books the top end of the teen and young adult scene who likewise has in's with the country club venues... the wealthy parents of those kids you are courting with a show. The folks that will talk about you and help you into those circles that will take you further, faster than you might want to believe possible. BUT STAY HUMBLE, that's the trick!

I don't typically gush on a kid and encourage them in this manner, I'm always supportive but I'm also a realist. I believe you have that special someth'n that can take you places, so don't sell yourself short... and don't waste time just fooling around if this is the direction you think you want to go with your life; get focused and take the steps that must be taken.

PM me if you wish to discuss things more, I've probably said too much on the open forum already.

Sep 9, 2010
Confused?

Not used to getting compliments, eh?

My "job" as it were, was to track down young talent for show calls (casting) from time to time; you have a look that could prove quite commercial if sat in the right hands and provided you would be willing to let a PR company "mold you". This is the side of show biz you don't hear many people talk about in that it's one of the bigger secrets when it comes to career development. You contract with a Public Relations and/or Image Consultant whose job it is, is to sell you and your look to the general market and/or the specific niche group you wish to pander to. In your case the Justin Bieber fan base would probably be perfect because your look is similar as is what I saw of your personality. . .

I'll let you in on another little secret​

By focusing on the mid to young adult age market now, you will be able to create a generational advantage. It's a common thing in the Music Industry; appeal to the young crowd first and you'll have a solid 25+ year demand IF you don't screw things up. This is exactly why Blackstone, Jr. knew exceptional success; his father had laid a solid foundation for the Blackstone name over 50 some years which affected the memory of 3 generations, all of which came from the U.S. Heartland -- Blackstone was "America's Magician" (once Thurston passed). When Jr. took up the mantel those that remembered his father were there and guaranteed him a solid base.

Any young talent with the right look and skills can make this same type of advantage happen for themselves IF they are willing to listen to direction, stay humble for a while, and work their butts off. Some however, have a more unique star they were born under; I have the funny feeling you are one of those fortunate few. So if magic is the direction you hope to go with vocationally get an agent and not just any agents, get someone that books the top end of the teen and young adult scene who likewise has in's with the country club venues... the wealthy parents of those kids you are courting with a show. The folks that will talk about you and help you into those circles that will take you further, faster than you might want to believe possible. BUT STAY HUMBLE, that's the trick!

I don't typically gush on a kid and encourage them in this manner, I'm always supportive but I'm also a realist. I believe you have that special someth'n that can take you places, so don't sell yourself short... and don't waste time just fooling around if this is the direction you think you want to go with your life; get focused and take the steps that must be taken.

PM me if you wish to discuss things more, I've probably said too much on the open forum already.

Holy poop!:O Thank you!!!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Casen:

I'm going to second what Craig said. There is something about the way you perform that will draw people to you.

Criss did rock star magician, David is a mysterious strange dude. Go back further and check out Doug Henning - the love child magician and David Copperfield - the suave 80s guy. Each of them reflected something about their times. As Robert-Houdin did when he took magic from the street performers and moved it into the parlor by wearing a top hat and tails, magic need to be performed by people who reflect the styles and trends of the day. Maybe your image is what is relevant to today.

I've watched a lot of your performances over the past year or so, and seen you grow in confidence. You handled things perfectly even when there were some bumps. Most importantly, it was clear that you were having fun. In many ways your character is a natural extension of who you are, but it is also clear that that you had stepped into a performance persona. You had a presence that few magicians can achieve despite how hard they work at it. For you, it seemed natural. I've often told people that the best way to get your spectators to enjoy magic is for you to enjoy it. You're smiling through the whole performance unshaken by anything that is going on around you. I found myself smiling as I watched (I usually cringe when I watch most videos posted on youtube).

I've worked with you on some of your projects and know that you take magic seriously. You have the drive and intelligence to develop some serious chops.

Now to bring you back to earth, your double sucked. Too unnatural. Keep it simple don't make it look like a flourish. Nothing is going on -- there is nothing to see.

Also, your patter sucks. There is no justification for the passionate kiss -- this also is a criticism of Wayne's original handling. A kiss is a powerful emotional hook, use it - don't just throw it in there and then throw it away.

How about this... the spectator blows a kiss to you (you can soften the presentation saying "it doesn't have to be a romantic kiss, it could just be a friendly kiss"). You catch it with your hand and "toss" it toward your card. Then you blow a kiss to them, they catch it and toss it toward the card. "Now when you blow a kiss, it is usually when you are saying goodbye and you do it so that the person will remember you. You are leaving a memory of yourself with them. Do you remember your card? Good. Now did you see anything when you blew me a kiss? Of course not, because you can't see a memory. [Reveal Card]. Did you see anything when I blew you a kiss?" At this point, the will open their card without you saying another word. Their reaction will be stronger because of the meaning and because you caused them to want the effect to happen -- that is they WANT your card to be in their hand.

Sep 9, 2010
Casen:

I'm going to second what Craig said. There is something about the way you perform that will draw people to you.

Criss did rock star magician, David is a mysterious strange dude. Go back further and check out Doug Henning - the love child magician and David Copperfield - the suave 80s guy. Each of them reflected something about their times. As Robert-Houdin did when he took magic from the street performers and moved it into the parlor by wearing a top hat and tails, magic need to be performed by people who reflect the styles and trends of the day. Maybe your image is what is relevant to today.

I've watched a lot of your performances over the past year or so, and seen you grow in confidence. You handled things perfectly even when there were some bumps. Most importantly, it was clear that you were having fun. In many ways your character is a natural extension of who you are, but it is also clear that that you had stepped into a performance persona. You had a presence that few magicians can achieve despite how hard they work at it. For you, it seemed natural. I've often told people that the best way to get your spectators to enjoy magic is for you to enjoy it. You're smiling through the whole performance unshaken by anything that is going on around you. I found myself smiling as I watched (I usually cringe when I watch most videos posted on youtube).

I've worked with you on some of your projects and know that you take magic seriously. You have the drive and intelligence to develop some serious chops.

Now to bring you back to earth, your double sucked. Too unnatural. Keep it simple don't make it look like a flourish. Nothing is going on -- there is nothing to see.

Also, your patter sucks. There is no justification for the passionate kiss -- this also is a criticism of Wayne's original handling. A kiss is a powerful emotional hook, use it - don't just throw it in there and then throw it away.

How about this... the spectator blows a kiss to you (you can soften the presentation saying "it doesn't have to be a romantic kiss, it could just be a friendly kiss"). You catch it with your hand and "toss" it toward your card. Then you blow a kiss to them, they catch it and toss it toward the card. "Now when you blow a kiss, it is usually when you are saying goodbye and you do it so that the person will remember you. You are leaving a memory of yourself with them. Do you remember your card? Good. Now did you see anything when you blew me a kiss? Of course not, because you can't see a memory. [Reveal Card]. Did you see anything when I blew you a kiss?" At this point, the will open their card without you saying another word. Their reaction will be stronger because of the meaning and because you caused them to want the effect to happen -- that is they WANT your card to be in their hand.

I actually smiled when I saw this. I'll be working on it!:) and thank you!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results