High-end Cups and Balls Set

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I realize this is similar to a thread that's going on, but I think it's different enough to warrant its own thread.

I would like to order a new cups and balls set, and would like some input into a few that would be good. I found a great thread on The Magic Cafe, but names like Porper and Sherwood are far out of my price range. I'm looking for cups that are durable and in the $100-$200 price range. Right now I am considering the Penguin Cups.

Any thoughts?

Also, is there a specific brand of ball that is considered to be great? I have normal crocheted balls right now.

Thanks!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I know I've responded to this question and before I repeat myself I'll begin by sending you here http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/

I believe that Stevens Magic has one of the largest collections when it comes to styles and model types with Abbott's Magic coming in at a close second.

When it comes to "which one?" well, you really need to touch and hold the cups in my opinion. I once owned about a dozen or so sets but only used one relatively inexpensive set most of the time; that includes a couple of custom made sets that were used in trade shows.

My personal opinion to someone buying a set "blind" (unable to touch and work with) is to find something mid-range. I personally prefer to use a combo set (w/ chop cup) I think I've seen a set similar to mine list at less than $50.00 recently. They are light weight but work well for me. On the other hand, most guys seem to prefer cups with a bit more heft to them, most of which aren't gaffed but can be quite fancy when it comes to ornamentation.

The question you really need to ask is a simple one, How much time and I willing to invest into learning this system and how much will I use it?

The C&B is uncanny it has so many possible effects and handlings to it. You really need to think long and hard when it comes to making this investment. If my plan were to do them regularly and get paid in the process, I'd want a very nice performance set BUT, I'd probably have a less expensive practice set as well. . . but that's just me.

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
Thanks Craig. The Cups and Balls Museum link is very helpful.

As I mentioned, I am considering the Penguin Cups right now. In your expert opinion, if I am willing to drop $100 on cups, should I just bite the bullet and get a set for around $300? Is the jump up in quality so significant that I should do it?

Thanks for all your help.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Personally, if I were tempted to sock that kind of money into a set, I'd find a local machinist to make a set for me that would be adorned according to my own personal tastes, etc. (by a solid engraving artist).

You will need to have a foundation set. . . any basic design you happen to like, I use the old Monte styled cups more than anything else. The other thing you will need to consider is the weight. . . like I said, some guys prefer a heavier cup. Too, if you plan on gaffing one of the cups with a steel slug (for a Chop Cup) you'll need to think a bit ahead so your machinist can plan out how to do said modification and conceal it.

The material from which the cups are made is another big deal; a friend of mine that does Renaissance Fairs has a beautiful set of Oak cups he made on his own lathe. They're a big large (stage size, you might say) but they are quite pretty and work for the kind of environment he works the most. Then you have guys that have used copper or the more expensive brass material base which rings with tradition with Aluminum that is then plated with a metallic finish that meets their preference (I'd look at Powder Coating over plating however, it tends to stand up to more physical abuse).

Depending on how elaborate you get with the engraving, such a custom set shouldn't cost you more than a couple a hundred. . . then again, you can get carried away with gold & silver trimmings, enlayed gems, etc. and run the cost well over a grand, but that's just ego going a bit crazy.

I nearly forgot. . .
There are C&B sets that are quite unique out there such as the one's that use "actual" Coffee Cups and if memory serves me right, sugar cubes for the balls. I don't recall where I saw those recently, but it may be worth a look at. There is likewise the "Coffee House" approach in which you literally grab 3 of the paper cups used for serving coffee, wad up a few dollar bills and go for it. If you have a Wizard Ring or such you can even do an improv Chop Cup sequence.

Another variant that's exceptionally rare but could be a local reputation maker, is the old Hindu C&B. They are more true to the ancient arrangement & handling of the act when it comes to the street buskers of old Calcutta. Like the transparent C&B routines, the Hindu C&B is quite dependent on smooth slights and strong misdirection.

I want to say that it was Paul Gertner that had a marvelous routine in which all 3 cups were actually large slugs and not cups at all. I can only remember how it totally blew everyone away when he did them at the Castle the first time.

In other words, think about your goals and how you want the routine to reflect you, your skill and your character.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results