New cards - handling issues

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
Hey guys,

I'm very new to all this and have just purchased some new cards. I've bought a few packs of tally-ho's. I am having some difficuilty in handling them though. I learnt how to perform the snap change and the classic colour change, but my problem is that I seem to need to lick my fingers or the palm of my hand all the time in order to get any decent grip on the cards, otherwise I can't seem to manipulate them very easily. I know I am very new to this so I was just wondering if anyone had any tips, or am I being stupid and just not practised enough? lol. I doubt that licking my fingers all the time is going to look very professional, nor is it likely to do the cards much good, so I am at a loss as to where I'm going wrong.

Cheers

Brendan

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
Hey Brendan,

New cards are slippery and smooth and will take some time to 'break-in'. This is just a matter of handling them for a while. I usually just play with them for 20 minutes or so, doing card spreads, fans, springs, dribbles etc. You'll find that with use they'll begin to lose their initial smoothness and be much easier to handle.

You don't want to overuse them and want to make sure you're hands are clean as they will begin to clump and become unusable quite quickly if you get too much sweat/oil on them.

But yeah, don't sweat, they're supposed to be buttery upon opening and after breaking them in a bit, you'll find them much easier to handle.

Hope this helps :)

You could try applying different amounts of pressure with your fingers. Sometimes with a very light touch a card will "stick" to your finger (no licking needed) whereas to much pressure can cause cards to not separate. Sometimes it is surprising how little pressure is needed.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
Brendan,

I've had the same problem when I first started out. It really helps to break in the cards to get that grip you want. It also helps to follow what Davidicon said about light pressure. It helps to give a light touch rather than force it. Just mess with different pressures and grips and you'll find which one works for you.

You can also start using lotion on your hands to stop them from being too dry. It also sounds like you have dry hands, so using lotion should help.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Just dribble, spread, and riffle shuffle the cards for a few min, maybe even springing them both ways a few times. This should get them to where they aren't too smooth and slippery but are just right. Also another thing that can help with this is fanning powder.

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
When I started out I found that a completely new deck was really slippery, but as time goes on and you go through many decks. It will become easy to handle a completely new deck.

Jul 30, 2011
when you use lotion make sure to wait a little while before you start handling cards!!!!! better safe then sorry when it comes to leaving time for the lotion to fully absorb.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results