Crazy beautiful trick with a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't like it too much. I get that you want to give your videos more of an "art-sy" feel but I think the intro to the trick is too long and too many things going on at once. To be honest, the same thing happened to me with this video as with your coin fire video you posted a while back, the video ended and I was left thinking "when did he do the magic?" Even with this one, the video ends and ito me I was thinking if the trick your title talks about was you just lighting your gloves on fire.

I do appreciate that you are putting yourself out there and making and sharing these videos but its just not my style, just my .02 cents.

l do not appreciate or recommend you troll or post snide comments back at other members of this community who are in earnest trying to help you. I believe that behavior got you a 7 day ban the last time we went through this.

You must learn to accept that this IS a community with diverse interests and personalities, and not every response will be a positive one singing your praises. Attention spans aside, he has a point. At the minute marker I haven't seen anything that establishes character, or purpose for me watching the film. You could stand to read a few books on story telling such as Saving the Cat. Avoiding this kind of disconnect will help you become more successful at retaining the audiences attention throughout your video. Remember, what kind of message are you trying to tell the audience?

As for the fire, it's not magical, in the sense that what we practice here on this forum is magic. It's not sleight of hand magic, it's movie magic... at best. If you can call it that. There is no suspension of belief. I know that fabric burns, and for all I care you've got fuel on the gloves that are burning in your palms. You have a couple fast cuts in there where it can only be assumed that the camera was stopped and more fuel was applied. The fire source is a lighter, it would have been better if the fire could have started by "itself". Then, you stop and end the video with out giving me any real sense of closure. I can't say that I liked this one.

I agree that it's a good thing that you're trying to find your artistic voice, and put yourself out there but remember this is magic... not some art house video. Magic demands a little more of a certain amount of attention and awareness when being filmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Really? A 3 minute video for 20 seconds of your trick.
I've had it with these videos these days. I'm tired of having to watch through a long video in order to see what you really want me to see. If you want to go this route, be original. Every video has a magician running off somewhere to perform a trick for no reason. You cant replicate someone's intro to a video, and call yourself artistic.
If you want to do something like this, be different.
If not, then just get to the point!

Your intro was longer than your trick.
Usually after wasting my time watching a video like this, I don't comment because that would lead to an even more waste of my time. But there's too much of this happening repetitively for me to keep quiet.
Not to even mention your trick was something me and my buddies use to do in high school when we were bored.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Dare I say that your video updates are worse than someone elses that I complained about. If you must post these videos keep them in one FANTASMAGORIANA thread.
If they were of good production and contained a decent amount of magic I would say keep updating with multiple threads but you're not there yet where each of your videos warrants a new thread.

Apr 20, 2010
This video was under 20% content, and the leading intro/outro were not artistic in a classical sense, and I would argue it isn't art in the modern sense either. I sat through your silent film with no plot for over two minutes, only to watch you play with lighter fluid... I saw you holding cards in the intro, and you did nothing with cards. Then you have the gusto to insult someone who tries to give you valid criticism that I think everyone and their mother would have given.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Okay, guys. It's time to said, that Roman don't like magic. Maybe cardistry, but tricks - not. V. ART hasn't got any good ideas for a well yours perception. Mazhuga is out, 'cause he found another ways of inspiration.

So here is na ot'ebis'! William Draven, ty ebanyi pidaras! Zaebali vyu vse so svoey ebanoy magiey! Huli ona voobsche nuzna? Ya blyat' tut vyuebyuvayus', drochus' is poslednikh sil, a oni tut zalupat'sa reshili! Ta huy vam, bledinyu tuporyulyue! Zhopyu vam lizat' nikto ne sobiraet'sa. Spasibo, blyat', pidoryu. Mne diko pohuy na vas. Ya po nocham drochy na Andreya Jikha i Dana Sperry. David Copperfield u menya po lutomu otlizyuval. Tak chto blyat' nekhuy tut podpezdyuvat' drug drugu. Pidarasyu..

Umm, English please? Or a language that Google Translate can understand?

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Must you result into swearing in foreign languages to make yourself feel better about this? I guess this is a somewhat serious thing you should consider (if you really care is beyond me).

If you are an entertainer/artist/whatever, it's your job to try to connect with your audience. When you came to show whatever you wanted to show to this forum, you should have considered what some people will say. I don't think we were out of line to say 'we don't understand' or 'there were too much fats,' if you posted a video for the public to see.

Yes, it's your right to say 'people lack attention span' or 'you just don't understand art.' However, also realize, that means you failed to connect with the audience. That's your failing, not the audience's.

I'll be reporting this to the mods.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm just going to go ahead and close this thread as it is not furthering the art of magic and causing some frustration among our members. I'm sure most of us understand why. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results