Monarchs - Initial Impressions

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hello everyone,
I received my Monarchs in the mall yesterday. I cannot post any pictures or go too in-depth with the deck but I'd like to share some first impressions with you guys.

The Back design is definitely interesting. Not really what I was expecting but still intriguing. I love the colors, but this is with the gold on the backs; I'll have to reserve judgement on the regular ones until pictures are released. It's obvious that a lot of time, planning, and effort went in to designing these cards.

The Box looks incredible. There where a few pictures up for a while on FaceBook yesterday, and those of you who saw it know what I mean. The detail and embossing on here is far beyond anything I've seen before. Without diving to much into the specifics, the box feels very durable as well.

What really sold me on the Monarchs is the quality. These cards feel fantastic. I haven't broken them in all the way yet so I can't say how the hold up yet, but so far they are very high-quality cards. Just as an example, I used them intensively for over an hour straight yesterday. And when i say intensively I mean flourishes, fans, sleights, shuffles, springs, waterfalls, etc. without setting them down. After nearly two hours of use there was no clumping of any kind. The cards spread and fanned just as well as they did out of the box.

To see a full review along with pictures (and possibly a video?) check out my blog http://robincarey.com at 11 AM EST on 11/11. Come read about them and see what they're like before you decide to buy.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask or PM me and I'll answer as best I can!

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Less than a half hour left! My review will be live right at 11 so feel free to check it out if you want info about the Monarchs before you buy!

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
[R.C];373236 said:
Less than a half hour left! My review will be live right at 11 so feel free to check it out if you want info about the Monarchs before you buy!

We can't wait! Obviously the color is modified somewhat, but other than that the decks are the same. People will be able to see why these decks are making waves. I absolutely LOVE mine!

Patiently awaiting the review!

L

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
With all due respect to the various creative and good looking cards that T11 has put out over the years....I don't get the Monarchs. The box looks pretty good but all of it reminds me of the Sentinels, which are good looking cards. But I don't get the big, over the top hype, the "we didn't take a step, we took a mile", etc etc.

The faces are no different really. The backs look a little old fashion to me, but some will like it and some wont...you know, just like any other deck of cards. I can think of 3 other decks released by T11 that looks better and probably 2 or 3 from other companies as well.

I have a great deal of respect for T11 in the way they've promoted magic, their attention to quality, and customer service. But at the same time, I'm not a fan boy prone to scream, "omg I'm going to buy a 2 bricks" when seeing a teaser video that shows a blurry image of nothing either.

I think that a great majority of people will have the same impression I'm expressing here unless they are a rabid fan boy or just overly critical of T11. Perhaps next time, dial down on the "this will change everything" hype and don't set unrealistic expectations and the cards may be better received.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
With all due respect to the various creative and good looking cards that T11 has put out over the years....I don't get the Monarchs. The box looks pretty good but all of it reminds me of the Sentinels, which are good looking cards. But I don't get the big, over the top hype, the "we didn't take a step, we took a mile", etc etc.

The faces are no different really. The backs look a little old fashion to me, but some will like it and some wont...you know, just like any other deck of cards. I can think of 3 other decks released by T11 that looks better and probably 2 or 3 from other companies as well.

I have a great deal of respect for T11 in the way they've promoted magic, their attention to quality, and customer service. But at the same time, I'm not a fan boy prone to scream, "omg I'm going to buy a 2 bricks" when seeing a teaser video that shows a blurry image of nothing either.

I think that a great majority of people will have the same impression I'm expressing here unless they are a rabid fan boy or just overly critical of T11. Perhaps next time, dial down on the "this will change everything" hype and don't set unrealistic expectations and the cards may be better received.

I will have to agree with you and very well said.

Nov 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI

I somewhat agree. I wouldn't call the back design revolutionary or the coolest looking deck ever, and you're right, the faces aren't unique. But the way the cards do excel is the quality/feel/handling. This really is a superb feeling deck, arguably one of the best, and that's not something you can show through pictures or a video.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
[R.C];373271 said:
I somewhat agree. I wouldn't call the back design revolutionary or the coolest looking deck ever, and you're right, the faces aren't unique. But the way the cards do excel is the quality/feel/handling. This really is a superb feeling deck, arguably one of the best, and that's not something you can show through pictures or a video.

I hope so, otherwise this dings the credibility when T11 introduces something in the future. It's like the boy who cries wolf, you don't want people to tune you out. Things like The Wire really does deserve the hype because it can potentially affect so many people, but if everything sounds like it's a perfect diamond, then nothing is rare....which is not the result that T11 is going for I'm sure.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results