Tips for 'windows'?

Hey everybody,
Quick question: What are some tips on 'windows'?
Thru childhood bullying, I had my right pinky snapped, so now I can't bend it in a natural manner, so I have to alter handlings to accommodate. But something I've been having trouble with in both hands is windows. Is it just something I need to keep practicing to get rid of, or is there another tid-bit that would help?
Thanks!

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
The way I got about it, I'll practice the entire sleight or routine for a while. They mess with it in front of a mirror. Then once I develop my patter, I'll record it on my phone and break down the performance. Through the video, I can see if there are any window issues with my fingers. After that, I'll go back to practicing making sure to keep my fingers together in a natural type of way. aka no tension seen.

As for your finger issue. It might be good when performing to call attention to it right away, so they know that it's normal. Otherwise, they might see it look a bit unnatural (I say that having no clue how it looks and of course, I mean no disrespect).

Sep 1, 2007
You might have to work with smaller coins, or practice closing them - windows are normally caused by having your hand too loose. Smaller windows however are caused by the knuckles in your fingers lining up with each other, preventing the space between from closing. Take a look at some of Homer Liwag's work, he has some great hand and finger positioning.

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
best was to remedy this is to tilt your finger palm up so that there isn't a direct view through the fingers.

If you angle your knuckles up a bit, all those windows are skewered a bit.

Also, you can bevel your fingers as well.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
My suggestion is to eat more. I have skinny "pianist" hands so I have pretty big windows. Tilting your hand only goes so far, in some situations it people will still see the coin(s) because not everyone is the same height.
That being said, if you perform with confidence and flow well you're not likely to be caught out often even with windows.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Beveling fingers is what I do. Even with a little bit of window, due to the bevel, it looks more like shadow (not perfectly, but if in fairly constant motion, it looks quite alright).

I have window's as well. Just don't ever wash your hands so the windows become filthy obscuring the view through.

Actually, what works for me is to bend my pinky ever so slightly behind my ring finger which closes all the windows while still giving my hand a natural relaxed look (and people stopped asking me if I had rheumatoid arthritis). I understand your pinky is a bit disfigured from an accident and this may not be possible, so it may be more of a challenge to do what works for me.

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
There are a couple of options...I will give you two that I regularly use.

I either have 3 mirrors set up in a manner that is to my left, center and my right. Then way when I am practicing a sleight, I can see how it would look from other angles at the same time. This helps me decide what sleights I use when.

The other option and I think it is the best one, is to have three camcorders/phones/ipods/iphones, set up in the same manner as the mirrors. This way you are able to perform as you would if showing a group of people, then go back and analyze the data to see what angles are best, or where or how your fingers need to adjust to perfect a sleight or effect.

Hope that helps...

Thanks everyone! Appreciate the help - especially the tilt move that Cyril mentioned; already tried it, works like a charm. And I got several mirrors like Mike said. (I used to just use a singular one or just my webcam.)
Any more suggestions would be appreciated - this is helping a lot! :)

Also, if you're wondering to the extent of my finger, imagine this:
Left hand is fine - but my right hand, the only fingers I can really use are: thumb, pointer, middle, and ring. My pinky is protruding out and kinda bent. It's completely useless in terms of holding coins.
So, imagine basically only doing magic with your three front fingers.
And again, thanks for the help guys. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results