Entertaining 10 year olds

Aug 22, 2011
Hi everyone!
I'm in the lucky situation to have gotten the chance to get a little gig at a 10-year olds birthdayparty.

Now im just wondering what 10 year old girls thinks are entertaining.. I don't like the idea of them sitting with their arms crossed and thinking "what a jackass" ;) ..

Im thinking about just doing maybe a silk-vanish and some mouth-coil action, maybe an ACR, the birthday kid can sign and keep.

Im in the process of learning to do balloon-animals.. Any idea if thats a no-go for 10 year olds? Are they a few years too old ? Maybe combining with Pressure and RepAir or something :) ..

It will be my first gig, if i say yes.. And this was my first post! wohoo..

Feel free to criticize.

Regards,

Kasper

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
here's the thing about kids, ten year olds especially.
They don't want to be treated or talked down to as kids. Don't get childish with your magic even if your performing for children.
Be fun not wacky.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Im thinking about just doing maybe a silk-vanish and some mouth-coil action, maybe an ACR, the birthday kid can sign and keep.

No, no and maybe. A silk vanish will have them rolling their eyes. The mouth coil will have them asking if you know how old they are. And, from my perspective, NEITHER of those is strong magic. The ACR might work, but you need some entertaining patter.

I don't think anyone should take a gig that they don't have a show prepared for. That is a recipe for crashing and burning. If you do decide to take it, a big factor in your success is how much time do you have to prepare.

That being said, if you accept the gig, take strong effects and make the presentation relevant to them. At that age, it is really easy for them to fall into the "guess how you did it" game. As VisualArtist said, make it fun for them. I'd be glad to give you presentation ideas if you have ideas of the effects you could perform.

Balloon animals are probably too young. The kids may like the balloon animals, but nobody is going to want to act as if they like them in front of their friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 22, 2011
First of all thanks for the reply.

Allright, silks and coils have been scratched.
And it's the 2nd of december, as far as how long time i have to prepare, IF i accept it.

Hmm, other effects could be some kind of effect with the invisible deck, involving them all to choose a card, or some svengali-deck routine.
'Carbon Paper' or 'French kiss', involving the birthday kid could be a option? Some kind of Torn and Restored with a little story maybe.

I guess i judged 10 years old to be younger than they are. Better to know ahead of time tho. :)

Edit : Rope magic could turn out to be a good choice too maybe? Im just trying to brainstorm at home right now :)

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
I have never seen a full performance of french kiss, but that might be a little much for a 10 year old girls birthday party. Her parent might be a little weirded out. I just performed for a group of three 9-10 year old girls last night, and some notable tricks they enjoyed were sponge ball effects, Come Together (probably anything with an interesting gaffed card would fly), Extreme Burn (very visual multiple bill change), Biddle Trick, Fourced Outcome, and Branded (its always good to ask for parents permission first when considering use of fire). Like previously mentioned, 10 year old's should not be treated as kids, and are not too young, think 4th or 5th grade for most of them. They can understand and enjoy card tricks, in fact my most requested trick from them was Come Together, and may still enjoy some effects aimed at younger audiences. I hope this helps,
Dan

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hmm, other effects could be some kind of effect with the invisible deck, involving them all to choose a card, or some svengali-deck routine. 'Carbon Paper' or 'French kiss', involving the birthday kid could be a option? Some kind of Torn and Restored with a little story maybe.

The big problem with card routines is that they are difficult to play to a larger crowd. It can work for less than 10 kids, but more than that, kid's won't be able to see what is happening.

The typical invisible deck routine (with the spectator opening, shuffling and sorting through an invisible deck) would probably work well. It is a pretty funny routine. I would avoid a Svengali deck -- mostly because the standard routines are well known from children's magic kits.

I've performed carbon paper for this age group - but not as part of a show (usually after or on a one on one basis). The reason for that is because it is difficult to present it as anything other than "look at what I can do." If you perform it, expect stunned silence as the reaction. You really have to build the effect and make it clear what the magic is.

French Kiss can work, but you need some interesting patter. Also, have them hold it in their hand. Try talking about famous celebrities and who's autograph they would like to get. Get their autograph and then tell them that the best you can do is give them your autograph.

I think it would be difficult to get a good story for a torn and restored card without being very corny. You can give it a try (and I would be glad to work with you on that), but just be wary.

Do you have Mark Wilson's book (you could do a whole show from that) or any other books or DVDs? How about sponge balls? I think that the show need variety rather than a bunch of card tricks. Again, with less than two weeks, you need to pick stuff that is self working or easy to learn.

One last thought is to accessorize... no I don't mean wear jewelry, but bring in props. I've used beach balls, hats, a jumbo magic wand (you can make one from posterboard purchased from a craft store and use it for comedy purposes), cardboard boxes, books, etc. to enhance effects.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I have to say a mouth coil can be strong, I totally agree with Draven here. It depends on presentation but it can kill. If you're worried about it being age appropriate I think Rocco put out a money mouth coil. That could worked into a less clown like presentation.

As far as card tricks go in general I would make sure that you have them sign the card. Some ten year olds are very good with cards and are familiar enough to know a Jack from an Joker and club from a spade. I have worked with families that don't have a deck of cards in their house. Having them mark the card makes sure that they will remember what their card was. I wouldn't do the invisible deck unless I'm sure that the kids are familiar with cards. If you're not sure you might find you self saying "what was the name of your card?" and them saying "Three". You lose a lot if the kid can't name a suit.

After a couple experiences like the above I keep my card magic very visual. I do Jay Sankey's Tracking device. I have them initial their card or draw a smiley face.

Professors nightmare fits well for this age group as well. It is very flexible.

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
You should also consider some simple rope and rubberband magic. A slipknot, Jacob's Ladder, CMH, etc. are really universal for all ages and aren't very demanding when it comes to presentation. The key is, like somebody already mentioned, be amusing and don't let them fall into a guessing game.

Aug 22, 2011
The big problem with card routines is that they are difficult to play to a larger crowd. It can work for less than 10 kids, but more than that, kid's won't be able to see what is happening.

Yeah, i get your point there. That might be difficult to pull those card routines off with succes.

But the invisible deck routine could turn out fun.

About the torn and restored, it will try to think of a presentation and maybe get back to you with that.

Yes i do own Mark Wilson's book, but i haven't dived that deep into it yet tho. And when it comes to sponge balls, i got some basic routines down, from Steve Dacri's dvd :) Could be an option to bring the sponges.

And just for a sitenote, i just ordered some rope and a dvd with some routines (incl. professors nightmare, which seems like a pretty good idea to pull off, with some cut'n'restored action too) :)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Hi Larssen,
Is the party for just girls? All around the age of 9-10? or are there going to be some boys there as well? As mentioned by other members, this begins to become a tricky age group because many of them have already seen the "little kids" stuff like D'lites and magic coloring books and change bags. If a majority of the kids have seen the typical birthday show stuff, they may begin to heckle you. I would guess that these are 4th and 5th graders. They want to look cool in front of their peers and don't want to look like they are enjoying magic.

The balloons are actually still okay to use with this age group. I finish 99 percent of my shows with a really cool balloon hat for the birthday child and everyone else gets a balloon sculpture as well.

You will want to select effects that are more aimed towards middle school kids. Things with money (mismade dollar or bill to lemon or extreme burn), fire (wiregrams, flaming wallets, flash paper) rope (fiber optics), card effects like an ACR would be fine or a TNR.
Caution...do not perform more than one or two card effects with kids or they will begin to lose interest. Anything that involves long drawn out patter or stories might confuse them.

DO NOT be wacky crazy guy as this normally is funny for the young ones but not so much for this age group.

If you have other specific question feel free to ask. I have to get my kids ready for bed soon and I'll jump back on later tonight.

Jun 1, 2009
Listen to anything Rick says, as he has loads of experience with kid shows. I'm still working on my own kid's show that does involve most of the things he listed, I just need to add in some fire for if I do older kid's shows.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Silly Billy has a ton of advice on how to handle kid shows. My one question is, how long have you been planning this? Because if you've just been thrown into it and aren't prepared and don't have anything planned. Well, then it's going to be a huge nightmare.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Yes i do own Mark Wilson's book, but i haven't dived that deep into it yet tho.

Time to start diving.

Page 230- Bill in Lemon. Page 235 - Rope Magic (three different cut and restored rope routines). Page 319 - Three Way Test. Page 391 - Spongeball Magic (a good routine - just don't point). Page 423 - Cups & Balls (can use plastic cups or glasses covered with paper). P. 481 - Tic Tac Toe Prediction. P. 498 - Chapstick Caper (don't use in same show as bill in lemon).

A veritable kids show from a single book.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Man...David..you didn't even make him work. Ha Ha. Just kidding, that was awful nice of you. I will second that cups and balls plays well for that age group as well. I haven't tried the Tic Tac Toe Prediction but Reality One uses it quite well.

Aug 22, 2011
Time to start diving.

Page 230- Bill in Lemon. Page 235 - Rope Magic (three different cut and restored rope routines). Page 319 - Three Way Test. Page 391 - Spongeball Magic (a good routine - just don't point). Page 423 - Cups & Balls (can use plastic cups or glasses covered with paper). P. 481 - Tic Tac Toe Prediction. P. 498 - Chapstick Caper (don't use in same show as bill in lemon).

A veritable kids show from a single book.

Wauw, thanks for pointing out that much for me. I will grab my book and start reading in a few minutes .
VERY much appreciated!

Hi Larssen,
Is the party for just girls? All around the age of 9-10? or are there going to be some boys there as well?

Hello Rick.. Thanks for the reply.

Yes i forgot to mention that its only girls, and they are all in the age between 9 and 10.. So i dont know about the fire things, if it would be more relevant for boys that age.

Im glad to hear that the balloons aren't a total no-go, if i present it right :) .

So right now, what i got in my mind, is to start of with some kind of a fun invisible deck routine,
and then a little Ambitious Card routine involving the birthdaykid and let her have the card afterwards, and that would be the end of the cards. And then jump from cards to some rope routines involving them, and have them examine the ropes and maybe have someone help me hold some. Then from rope and into a sponge routine.
And then somehow smoothly get the balloon-thing started :) ..

Soooo, thats what i have on my mind right now.

Oh well, i will start some reading now, as suggested by David! :)

Edit: Im gonna add the Bill in Lemon trick for sure.. Just tried it out and its awesome

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
The PERFECT effect to do for this age group is the Okito Voodoo Doll. I've performed it many times for this age group and they always goes crazy with this effect. Thhe Okito Voodoo doll seriously needs more recognition in the magic community.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results