What is my first step?

Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hey guys, I wanted to know if you guys could help me out. I have been doing magic for friends and family for years now, but now I want to get my name out there and actually start getting gigs. I can do all the magic, I just don't know how to do the business side of it. I really want to start doing restaurant magic and as well birthday parties.

Thanks guys,

Blake.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
There are quite a few helpful posts or "essays" that give great advice. You can also buy a "business for dummies" book and write a business plan, that will be helpful in setting goals and stuff.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The Magic Menu and Live at the Jailhouse are good sources.

As for the business side of it, I'd say that is a pretty broad subject though are a ton of good marketing and business books out there, none of them will really do much besides give you a bit of advice and perspective from the different Authors. Oh and I know that William Draven here has a PDF that talks about this stuff too.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm not going to go into a huge answer because I'm headed to be soon here, but the two things that have REALLY boosted my number of gigs was creating my own website and giving out TONS of business cards whenever I finish a gig. A good website with pictures and testimonials is proof that you are actually out there doing it and clients can visually see what they are hiring.

Blake, wuts up!!!

Its no simple task: That kinda depends on what you want to do?

TV? Corporate? Live gigs? etc.

If you are looking for the big bucks of corporate engagements, look no further than Marc Paul's "Tradeshow Secrets". If you are a mentalist or magician, he has all you'll need to work your way up and get noticed.

I'd also look into Richard Osterlind's interpetation of "13 Steps of Mentalism". Its a whole volume (DvD) dedicated to how to get your name out there, promotion, and the whole nine.

Banacheck also has some stuff on his Psi Series. He tells how he got into stardom and ways other performers can do also. I'd truly get the TradeShow Secrets by Marc Paul.

As for Television. OMG! Dude, I've spent every freakin day trying to get my own TV show. I got on with a new webseries (as listed in my signature) But anywho....TV is tricky! Develope a name, nab some vunerable (not trying to be mean) sponsors, and talk to the right people. I know that part seems vague, but its a lotta sharks out there my friend and a lotta people who could care less about your well being.

I hope that helps!

Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
I've heard really great things about "The Gig" by Nathan Kranzo. I don't actually have it yet, but Aaron Fisher recommended it to me. It's about how to get your first gig in a restaurant.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'd strongly recommend you look at some of the standards out there as well like the Ammar and Joel Bauer books on this subject. Check with Stevens Magic, they probably have one of the better business related book sections for magicians. Lybrary.com is another excellent resource.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results