Shoe business tips pls

Nov 5, 2008
Hong Kong
I have a performance soon an Im going to perform shoe business so I would like some tips from ppl who have tried it before an I would really appreciate it if u could give me links to video with performances of shows business other than the original one thx a lot

SUGGESTION: If you have a show coming up "soon" and you don't know this effect DON'T DO IT! Don't even think about doing it. Use material you KNOW so you won't come off looking like a goof.

He didn't say he didn't know the effect, he was asking for some tips from people who have tried it.
He's probably just nervous adding a new trick into his routine, and sourcing experience from others is good preparation when you're about to perform a trick that's new to your repertoire.

Haven't you watched a performance of a trick you already know just to see what refinements you can make?

Please be more helpful in future, and don't assume someone is inexperienced because they are seeking experience.

This is not a personal attack on you, just please remember why you are here.

- Geraint

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
SUGGESTION: If you have a show coming up "soon" and you don't know this effect DON'T DO IT! Don't even think about doing it. Use material you KNOW so you won't come off looking like a goof.
Craig,

This was not Magic Rocks' question.

He obviously owns the effect but he's is looking for ideas on alternative presentation tips.

Magic Rocks, if there is one piece of advice that you do take from this thread, it's DO NOT take Craigs "advice". Avoid people who tell you "Don't" at all costs, it'll get you (along with them selves) no where!

If you have practiced the routine then ABSOLUTELY perform it at your next show. Every one in the world, has to have a first performance.

I'm sorry that I can't point you in the right direction for alternative ideas on presentation. However, the constructive advice that I will give you, is to take a look at the rest of your act. What stage persona do you have? What style do you perform with? Look at your act as a whole and try to work a presentation that seamlessly flows with the your show.

NEVER FORGET it's not the effect, it's the magician. If you have worked out who you are as a performer then you'll blow them away with anything.

Lloyd

Please be more helpful in future, and don't assume someone is inexperienced because they are seeking experience.

This is not a personal attack on you, just please remember why you are here.

- Geraint

I'm sure this comment has nothing to Do with your soap box rant of earlier. If you're going to preach a message of tolerance then lead by example and consider how your own words may be interpreted. Craig knows well why he's here. He's a venerable source of real world knowledge that he selfishly shares with people here. Shoe business can easily be read as show business at a quick glance and typos, especially from other countries where English may not be the first language can result in misunderstandings.

This has everything to do with my 'soap box rant'. It's comments like this that discourage new comers. Or intimidate beginners.

I am practicing what I preach William, by highlighting that this is not a personal attack on Craig, but more of reminder that we were all there once, some of us still are, and just because someone is asking for help, doesn't mean they don't know how to perform the effect.

As Lloyd said .. whether you're a professional or not, everyone has a first performance of something.

Typo's, misread posts and sentences are often a cause of misunderstandings, but whether it was show or shoe that was being said, the post was still negative, and i'm just trying to point out that there is another way of reacting to this post. One that is constructive, and doesn't end with the word 'goof'.

Again this is not a personal attack on Craig, as he's entitled to his opinion. It's just me reminding him of why he's here. As you've said... it's to help people and selflessly share his knowledge and experience, not to discourage performers from trying something new.

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
I'm sure this comment has nothing to Do with your soap box rant of earlier. If you're going to preach a message of tolerance then lead by example and consider how your own words may be interpreted. Craig knows well why he's here. He's a venerable source of real world knowledge that he selfishly shares with people here. Shoe business can easily be read as show business at a quick glance and typos, especially from other countries where English may not be the first language can result in misunderstandings.
At what point did Geraint not lead by example in his post? He was not intolerant. This is blindingly apparent in his reasonable tone.

The key point of the "Soap box" rant earlier was to precisely fend off the attitude which you are showing in this post, William. Your attitude appears to be patronizing, very pretencious and it seems that you have quickly defended Craig with out taking in the point of both sides of the argument.

Craig simply offered no real advice, other than "Don't" try. Clearly terrible advice. Which is where myself and Geraint stepped in to at least try to steer Magic Rocks in the right direction.

Now, when I mentioned your attitude, William, I far from meant it as an attack on you, rather just highlighting the tone in which I took your post to be in. I'm not going to go in to arguments, so it ends here.

BACK TO THE TOPIC.

Magic Rocks, do you have any other question?

Lloyd

Again this is not a personal attack on Craig, as he's entitled to his opinion. It's just me reminding him of why he's here.

And I think such a tactic coming from an unknown source such as yourself to someone who is known and established will be perceived as insulting. That's kind of like me walking up to David Copperfield and slapping him on the wrist for how he presents McDonald's Aces on the principle that I believe my handling is better.

Right or wrong, credibility goes a long way.

As for Craigs advice to not try, that's incredibly good advice in the right situation. Think about it, we know nothing about the poster in question. We can only draw conclusions from what he tells us, and what we can infer by reading between the lines. If he has little to no real world experience performing for live audiences, doesn't have an act rehearsed, or tested material to use, AND he's accepting performance gigs then he's likely setting himself up for failure. Craig is just trying to help him out before he gets into a jam. I myself wouldn't purchase an effect for a show unless I had ample time to practice it, rehearse it, test it, and get it ready for presentation. Would you?

Sep 1, 2007
Porthcawl, Wales.
As for Craigs advice to not try, that's incredibly good advice in the right situation. Think about it, we know nothing about the poster in question. We can only draw conclusions from what he tells us, and what we can infer by reading between the lines. If he has little to no real world experience performing for live audiences, doesn't have an act rehearsed, or tested material to use, AND he's accepting performance gigs then he's likely setting himself up for failure. Craig is just trying to help him out before he gets into a jam. I myself wouldn't purchase an effect for a show unless I had ample time to practice it, rehearse it, test it, and get it ready for presentation. Would you?
As you said, we know NOTHING about the situation but you still feel it's right to tell him not to try!? Outrageous. The correct thing to do, was to find out what was the situation, then proceed with constructive advice.

I've always been taught, to never let anyone stop you from trying anything. For anyone to try and stop someone doing something they want to try, I find possibly one of the biggest insults you can give a man.

Lloyd

Llyod with all due respect man I believe you are taking a statement and running in the other way with it. I'm not saying you shouldn't try something. I'm saying you should be prepared to do something. Let's look at the situation this way: My teenage cousin is 16 years old and really REALLY wants to drive a car. Having no instructions, no license, and no knowledge on how to go about doing so- would you advise him to try?

I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be performing magic. I'm saying I agree with Craig in that certain precautions need to be taken in order to be successful.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I don't understand this topic. Does he mean SHOW Business or SHOE Business. Because from what I can gather from the post is that he wants to see a performance of a certain effect and tips on it. Otherwise if he wants performance videos and tips on SHOW Business than it's incredibly broad and vague.

I don't understand this topic. Does he mean SHOW Business or SHOE Business.

He's implying 'Shoe Business' by Scott Alexander. (At least that's what I think) [Amazing trick by the way.]

And with all do respect, I believe that Craig's advice - although safe - is not conducive to magicians. Knowing the effect, I can tell you: it's not the most complex. By that I mean, he's not 'setting himself up for failure' or going to 'goof.' I'm sure he has gotten the performance down tight, but just wants some tips on something other than the original source. Although I don't know him, I'm sure he can perform it - so I'm not worried about that.
William, although I'm new, it didn't take long before I saw your name pop up a few times in any given thread, so I'm quite familiar with you. And I'm afraid this is another example of you letting your ego get in the way of the topic at hand. (You were very quick comment back at Geraint with almost nothing to say as to the topic, I might add...)
And you mentioned credibility. Basic sociological reasoning says that you shouldn't take an author by his credibility or past - you should use your own judgement. And in this case - telling him he shouldn't perform because he would 'goof' - my judgement's telling me something: he doesn't know him, he has no validity to make that claim.

As far as the actual topic, my thoughts are: with an effect like this, there's not a lot of room for differentiation. Just like the banana and bandanna - you only have one script. My suggestion is what in line with what Lloyd said,
"[...] take a look at the rest of your act. What stage persona do you have? What style do you perform with? Look at your act as a whole and try to work a presentation that seamlessly flows with the your show."

With any effect, all you can do is:
1) Do it right.
2) Do it the way YOU want to do it.
Make it original - and more importantly: make a video, we will all love to see it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Wren Thomos

Banned
Dec 17, 2011

I also agree with Craig Browning opinion that -Don't do that business if you don't have any knowledge of that.

XabierL

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2010
Hey, I don't want to be rude at all, but Magic Rocks came here for some help, and all he is getting back is a discussion about things that aren't important at all. Please let's do our best to help him and, please, avoid arguing for no reason.

I'm sorry but I don't own the effect, so I can't give you any advice. HOWEVER, I'd really love to see the performance, so if you film it please share it with us. Thanks!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results