A double lift is all you need...

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
So I have been pondering this idea for a while now, and it actually amuses me how many "Ground breaking top card control that it's going to change your lifeeee" come around each year.

My point being, I don't see the point of learning so many controls and "utility moves" (Unless of course you are a "move monkey" and enjoy practicing and perfecting all these sleights, wich I see as a great thing), the thing is that I think that the constant performer only needs a solid Double Lift and a Solid top card control, not thousands.

Don't mistake me, I actually love learning new card sleights ( I still fancy the trilogy or The paper engine by Aaron fisher) but at the end of the day I found that the most used sleight in my arsenal (and by far the less practiced) is a double lift.

In my opinion is the best and most beatiful card control there is. You take their signed card, openly and witouth funny moves you place it in the middle, and witouth any movement at all, the card goes to the top. There isn't a move for me that tops that. (Not mentioning that it is Angle proof ;) )

So my question is, do you actually perform all this crazy angly super natural controls that come around every year? Or do you just practice them for the fun of it? Im curious. It's been a while since I have been reading here so I don't know what is the new "trends" on about how to perform :)

Jan 18, 2008
this is uncanny! I was having the same exact discussion with myself!

what is the absolute best control to the top? yes, there are hundreds. and.. most, if executed really really well, they are all invisible. no doubt about that.

but nothing tops the double lift! nothing. in fact - all the other controls try to emulate how clean, angle proof the dl is. you take a card... openly place it in the middle.. or.. anywhere for that matter. and known or unbeknownst to the spectators - the chosen card is completely under your control with no funny movements, gaffs, whatsoever. love it!

simple, direct, beautiful, and completely covert.

thats the challenge though - how can we invent more moves to emulate this exact thing? how can we take a really difficult sequence of moves to make it look almost as good as a dl? thats the challenge, and the fun for us move monkeys.

I am a bit of a move monkey, so I tend to learn everything just because I find it fun to practice.

However, like you, I've had an epiphany in the last few months about the double lift, and how little i've spend perfecting it.

I can do it, it fools laymen, but it's not as perfect as Tony Chang's for example.

Tony actually has a great lecture on themagicsession.com , in which he briefly explains his double lift and how long it takes to perfect etc. It's free if you register. (If you're not already a member).

Also Andi Gladwin has a really natural double lift/turnover in which he uses the master pushoff. Which can be learned in the DVD of the same name.

You already do the double lift, but those suggestions above just have little ideas and nuances that will improve it.

... and you said you fancied the Trilogy and the paper engine. I suggest you get both if you're able to. Or perhaps ask for them for Christmas, if it's not too late.
They are both great and jam-packed full of killer card magic.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
Maybe I mis-used the word (fancy), my meaning is that I already have them both and I love going back to the material in there.

But yeah, in a resume, (in a performance) all you need is good presentation and a solid foundation on your DL's

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm actually not a move monkey at all Chop. I use only 2 controls, 2 false shuffles, about 3 forces, a tilt, and a Double lift. This is plenty to fry 99.9% of layman unless their brother is a close up magician as well...ha ha. I kind of laugh when I see a Book or DVD on 101 ways to Force a Card.

I try to spend more of my time with the patter and entertainment part of the effects while performing. Don't get me wrong, I love watching card guys show off but I simply don't have the time or dedication to only finger flick.

Feb 4, 2008
I practice my DL more than probably any other sleight I use....and yet if I were performing a 10 minute set I bet I would use it once, maybe twice. It is on one level one of the most powerful sleights in the arsenal and yet one of the most commonly busted as well. Use it wisely.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I practice my DL more than probably any other sleight I use....and yet if I were performing a 10 minute set I bet I would use it once, maybe twice. It is on one level one of the most powerful sleights in the arsenal and yet one of the most commonly busted as well. Use it wisely.

Yeah, I also think it depends on the audience, I probably use Dl's a lot when the audience is out going, if I have kind of a "cunning" audience, I mix in a couple of more or less complicated sleights just to variate the methods.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
If you rely on the same control, force and dl all the time you are lazy. I have variations that work better in different scenarios, just another reason that sets me apart from other working magicians that are middle aged and been doing the same store bought stuff for years.

Oh and more and more people are becoming aware of a double lift. I do them in various different ways but now and then I'll catch the one guy smirk because he knows it's a double.

Feb 4, 2008
I have variations that work better in different scenarios,
That is another practical reason for learning a lot of variations. For instance, if you are using a type of force in which a spectator selects a card from a spread then it is a good idea to know some controls that happen in a spread. So controls like Losing Control, convincing controls, and spread passes work well with card forces such as the classic force or a variation of the Hofzinzer force. A clip shift works well with a dribble force. Classic passes and side steals work well with a riffle force. Just a few examples but the key is that your routine can look more consistent.

Edit: BTW that is also a good reason to learn a few different DLs.

Feb 7, 2011
Im predominantly a table worker. It has it's pros and cons, but the only time i really feel in my comfort zone is at a table doing my gambling show, in which i have absolutely no use for a double lift. I respect your opinion and understand what you're saying, but what you need to realise is that the double is "the best and most beatiful card control there is" for YOUR work. I dont use it, i use a fairly wide array of controls, enough so that i dont use the same control twice in a row, and i can comfortably pick and choose controls to suit the crowd position, table height, whether my hands are sweaty or not, and what condition the cards are in. Im not a complete move monkey, i dont go for every new sleight that comes out, very few of them infact, but lets say i spent alot of late nights with volumes of daryl's encyclopaedia of card sleights. What im saying is you might have favourites, but dont limit yourself by worshipping a sleight and thinking none compare. You could very easily find yourself caught out.

I love the DL I practice it more then anything else! But I have been trying to get more use of out the top change too!

I have found if I'm sitting down at a table my card magic is very uncomfortable to perform. So each move CAN be a great move if you think about it. Look at Lennart Green He uses different sleights then most.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results