Success Story

What Do You Consider To Be "Successful"?

• The Magician Who Creates Moves or Effects

Votes: 8 29.6%
  • TV or Internet Known Magicians

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Regular Workers at Bars & Restaurants

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • Magicians Who Tour & Lecture

Votes: 17 63.0%
  • The Arm Chair Guru's Typical of Forums

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We all have varying levels of hopes, dreams and adorations. Let's face it, some of us want fame, others fortune, while yet there's even a few that'd just be grateful to master the Pass.

While we are getting ready to go into the new year, now's a great time to sit back and reflect upon where you are in your journey, and figure out where you want to be. With that being said, I'm kind of curious. So I'm taking the forums temperature with this pole.

What do you think? There isn't a right or a wrong answer, and I believe multiple choices can be selected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 1, 2009
California
I voted for what I would consider success to be in the art, for me. I don't really want the money or the fame... I just enjoy performing. If I create an effect or two in the process, then that's great! but I also realize that originality and creativity can also come in the form of performing someone else's work.

Sep 16, 2011
Leeds, UK
for me, it doesn't matter if you are a world renowned magician or if you are someone that performs for friends family and a few starnger on the street.....if people enjoy your magic and want to see more.....then surely, you're a successful magician.

Feb 4, 2008
I like the idea of this thread, however, you have intentionally or unintentionally skewed you poll right off the bat. Pardon my education sneaking out on me but as a graduate student studying a social science how to properly word a survey/poll was one of the things they really crammed down my throat.

You word the last one pretty tough. "Arm Chair Guru typical of forums," has a pretty negative connotation. Intellectually I can think of many amateur magicians who are not amateur because they lack skill, interest, dedication, or performance ability. They simply have better, real world, jobs. A few quick celebrity examples might be Tony Curtis, Steve Martin, Neil Pattrick Harris, Dick Caveat, and Jonny Carson. All of these guys were well respected magicians who just happened to build fame, and thus their careers, in entertainment. I can think of many Arm Chair Gurus who fit this category....but when it is phrased like that the first thing that comes to mind are the guys who are all talk and no "show."

You also call restaurant and bar magicians "regular workers." Regular worker, especially among middle class people, has a very positive connotation. But seriously, guys who make a career on the lecture circuit are kind of "regular workers" too in a way. So are guys on cruise ships. Even some of those famous TV magicians spent a long time in the trenches doing bars and restaurants(at least in the case of Derren Brown and Cyril.)

As a result, nobody has voted for the Furum Gurus yet and most people have voted for the restaurant/bar magicians. There is no way to tell if those results are accurate.

To answer your question more directly, as an amateur who is seriously considering going pro, my goal is to make a living doing magic. I don't expect to do that without first being able to make a living in small venues like restaurants/ bars / weddings. So for me that is indeed the first step to success. It just isn't necessarily the end of the road...at least in my dreams.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
To me a successful magician (or any person really) is someone that has made so much money they have the freedom to live comfortably and have many options available to them that they have created for themselves.

Magician may have a successful show, they may have a successful lecture, they may have some successful tricks for sale but that does not make them a success if they are still living off peanuts.

Jay Adra

Elite Member
Jul 11, 2011
Australia
www.jayadra.com
It really depends on what you want to achieve with your magic.

If you want to just want to be able to entertain and connect with people you meet, you don't need to be making money off your magic. To be a success in this regard would be able to perform well.

For me, the closest option on the Poll was to tour/lecture as I eventually want to be able to share my knowledge and educate others, which I think is one of the greatest things you can do in life.

Additionally for myself, as magic is more of a hobby for me, I just want to improve, create and perform (casually).

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I didn't vote, because my definition for success for myself is meeting the goals I set for myself. two years ago it was to refine my corporate show. This last year it was to double my income. My success comes from meeting the goals I set for myself. This new year it is to fully script a new corporate show. And maybe put out a wire release or two. I succeed when I meet the goals that I set for myself. I would use the same measure for others.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results