I need a strong, simple card tricks.

Nov 16, 2011
one day I was with my friends and I was performing Cannibal after Kevin Reylek after my ambitious card routine.
I am trying to make a "Routine" but I can't find strong, simple, easy-to-follow card tricks. Also a mentalism effects. ( especially mind reading.)
Any advices?
I will appreciate every advices

Apr 1, 2009
California
Learning the key card concept will work wonders for you by way of "mentalism" and "simple strong card magic". Chicago opener is another great one. But really, 90 percent of these effects will require knowledge as well as a good grasp of the double lift. So... learn your double lift. I still spend hours a day just doing my double lift. not fancy ones, the basic push over, strike, or even with a break. I still mess up on occasion... so I still practice.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I performed a lot of card magic last night, completely impromptu with a borrowed crappy deck. Stigmata when played up correctly and good acting....drew gasps and screams. I had forgotten about it and when I saw the condition of the deck I knew I had to use just a simple force and reveal.

Personally I think you would absolutely LOVE a Triumph effect, and there are several on the market to choose from. Bannon's "Play It Strait" is one of my personal favorites, my opener to my close up routine, and packs a fairly good punch.

As for mentalism, I wouldn't go too much into that mind reading hoo-hah unless you've got the character to pull it off. A mentalist, and a magician are two separate characters. The motivations of the one undermine the efforts of the other. If you really want to do the mental route then I recommend Corrinda's 13 Steps to Mentalism. It reads like stereo instructions, but it's a defining piece of work on that subject.

Nov 27, 2009
The Biddle Trick, 2 Card Monte, and a few of the tricks in Royal Road to Card Magic are really good. Read the classic magic books, they have the best tricks. (I'm 20, and I read the old books almost exclusively.) I'm thinking about things like Royal Road, Erdnase, Expert Card Technique, Dai Vernon's stuff, Stars Of Magic, all of these books have great ideas that are the basis for the common plots we use today. Most of the tricks can be done impromptu as well.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Card College Lite also shows you how to string 3 card effects together so that at the conclusion of effect 1, you are already set for number 2 and so forth.

As everyone else mentioned above me...my most requested piece is a sloppy triumph version. I can be out somewhere and people who have seen me who are with their friends want to see it again. Biddle is awesome! I also use Clutch by Oz Pearlman a lot and it hits very hard. A Lie Detector effect with 9 cards is always a fun little effect.

You can also control their card to the top, tell them that their card is 10th (or whatever down from the top), count down, reveal the incorrect card, replace the dealt cards on top of the deck and have them blow on the deck and count down to the same number...BAM...there it is. Very simple and hard hitting.

Apr 20, 2010
@William Draven: Play it Straight Triumph is in my favorite effects ever. It always hits hard.

Apr 14, 2011
I will never stop championing This that and the other. It is the best impromtu slant on an elmsley count. So goood.

Sep 1, 2007
whats the difference between mentalism and mental magic?

If you don't know the difference, you're not ready to do mentalism.

Stick with mental magic for the time being. In a nutshell, it's magic with a mental theme. You can find some in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

Actual mentalism requires a strong degree of showmanship and must be performed separately from magic. The audience has different perceptions and expectations. You as a performer must adopt an entirely different mindset. It's very difficult to do.

I posted this in another thread where a guy was asking a similar question, particularly where to find tricks that you can do with a borrowed, shuffled deck.

Look up Harry Lorayne's material for a bunch of impromptu card magic that laymen love. His Classic Collection volumes (there are three of them) are filled with it. They are a fairly large amount of money to drop on a book, but I think it's totally worth it. Also, I've heard very good things about his four dvd set.

Check out Cameron Francis's Moment's Notice e-book series (there are six of them) as well.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results