Misdirection for Touch by Hanson Chien

Dec 17, 2011
Hi,

I just bought Touch by Hanson Chien recently, watch the performances, learnt how to set up the trick and all that. What forms of misdirection do u give to set up the trick? Sorry, but even after watching the performances, I am still not quite sure how the misdirection really work out.

Appreciate if you guys can help out a newbie abit. THANKS!

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
I don't own Touch but for misdirection you could ask them a question like 'have you seen rubber band magic before?' and look them in the eyes.

Apr 1, 2009
California
personally, I just do it. unless the set up is very questionable... say you're setting up for a highly gimmicked effect, if you you just do it, your audience won't notice. Don't give a reason for them to be suspicious. Show them how the band is supposed to look, explain briefly what's going to happen, what you want them to do, and set up when you readjust. the set up take .5 seconds. Just do it. it looks like you're just stretching out the band anyway.

Oct 23, 2011
I usually ask them to hold out their hands while i move my hands off the 'frame' , pretending to stretch the band .

I haven't had a problem with doing it right in front of the spectator. I just do it quickly as I am bringing my hand into frame. No one has questioned anything... Probably because they are freaking out because the rubber band is on their hand now. :) Great effect, I love to perform it. Just make sure you are confident in your actions. If you treat the setup like you are setting something up, then that is the way it looks. Treat it like it is a normal action.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You could perform some time of rubber band magic before that effect and then have them check it out to make sure it is a real rubber band. Then do the dirty work or set up.

For example: I may perform CMH, and then band through thumb and as they react I'll hand them the band to inspect and set up another band down at waist level getting ready to perform 2 to 1 band. Nobody even pays attention on the off beats.

Apr 1, 2009
California
that's actually how I get into it. I do a crazy man handcuffs... then I explain that the same concept can be applied in other ways, so I do a link through my finger. And then I go on to do Touch

Jun 1, 2009
My band routine flows really well, and once I get Touch in the mail I'll be able to add so much more to it. After I do CMH on their hands, I just ditch my band on my wrist as I grab theirs back and set up 2 for 1 band right in front of them. It's so much fun because it's right under their noses, but the misdirection is perfect because they are still reacting. I then do band through thumb and then either band up nose or a nice little vanish with some word play to end it. That's what I use until I get the DVD, where I'll look where I can add certain things and make it hit more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results