Adding Production Value: Post-Production

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
Post-Production

This is the final stage of your video. The editing and/or graphic designing. There are many things I can suggest to you.

1. Look through all your clips. Find the best clips and some that could be used if you need to. Keep a back up of your videos in case you accidentally delete a clip you need. If you have a back up, delete the videos that are not good. This will make the editing easier.

2.Drop your best clips into the timeline of your editing software and position the clips in the place you think they should be. You can always change the position later.

3. Fine tune your clips so that anything like moving your hand toward the camera to stop it are deleted. This will make your video much more professional and show that you care what you are doing.

4. Structure the explanation so that it makes sense. Show it to a friend and see if they learn from it. If they can and they have no problems, your job is complete. If they can’t, ask what you could do improve and continue to re format until they can learn.

5. Color correction. This makes your video look more like a film rather than a Skype chat. This can be done in programs such as iMovie or Premiere Pro. There are multiple resources on the web that teach you how to color correct. If your software doesn’t have it and you’ve searched online, then there’s not really anything you can do about it.

6. Music. Background music makes you video much more entertaining but pick something that isn’t copyrighted and suits your effect. Your voice is more important than the music. Make sure your voice is dominant and can clearly be heard. incompetech.com has some good music that is royalty free and free of charge. Video-Copilot’s Pro Scores is also great but has a price tag of $95. Also make sure you credit them.

7. Exporting. This is where your video project becomes a real video. a .mov or .mp4 extension is the way to go. Here is a quick guide for use in iMovie. It can be applied to other applications as well. http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1297408

Distribution

Upload to The Wire and good luck!

I have a quick question.
My video dimensions are like 960x540, but when I import it into Premier Pro, I don't have the same size sequence, so my video is always surrounded by a horrendous black border.

I've tried making a custom sequence with those dimensions too, but the black border on the preview pane still appears. I've exported it to youtube and it looks like you're watching a video within a video.

I'm using Premier Pro CS5.5

Cheers,

Geraint

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
I'm not too sure about that but try cropping the video until it fits the frame. Make sure you are using the correct dimensions for the sequence as well.

magicflipper17134

Elite Member
Nov 21, 2010
Hey Geraint,
My first suggestion would be to get a camera which shoots at 1080p. However there is also another way around it by having the settings set at "iphone" or "android" settings right when you start up a new sequence. A window will pop up giving you a whole bunch of importing selections to choose from(Red, DSLR, Panasonic, iphone, etc). And whichever device you are shooting on, click on the one that matches. However, if none of the above works, then I recomend just cropping the image by clicking on the feed and stretching the image. Hope that helps :)

Shin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results