Congress Voting On The Stop Online Piracy Act

Nov 14, 2011
Send a petition to protest the act from being passed here: http://americancensorship.org/
"Congress is about to vote on the Stop Online Piracy Act, which could give the government power to shut down any website with copyrighted content.

Here is a link explaining whats gonna happen http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

Theory11 could be shut down if it has any copyright material in the media section also.

it suppose to be pass today.

heres another link to a video where a cnet worker explains it http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhXYU3B8KNlNrAAmeU

it is for mainly the hollywood entertainment business , so they do not care about magic piracy trust me.

so please help stop this.

Last edited by a moderator:

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
If they don't care about magic piracy, nothing will happen to T11. But, I think it is any type of copyrighted piracy including magic.

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
I watched after I posted. Anyway, as long as we don't use copyrighted things, we should be fine.

Nov 14, 2011
yea hopefully , i do not like the bill at all i think google , twitter , facebook and alot of other sites are fighting against it thats what the media is saying.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I'm a strong proponent in trying to figure out exactly what is happening from an unbiased perspective. Looking at the first two links, they are clearly NOT unbiased. it is always good to understand the biases of any person or group advocating a certain position.

Also, I'm always concerned when a group claims that something close to armageddon ( e.g. T11 and all other magic sites will be shut down) will occur if something is or is not done.

If you can't find an unbiased source, then read position pieces from both sides. Weigh their views and decide for yourself.

There are legitimate concerns on both sides of this debate (protection of copyrights vs the means used to protect copyrights). There are also parties with clear motives (those who want to protect their movies, videos, books and music from being illegally downloaded and those who want to keep illegally downloading movies, videos and books). Each of those parties are trying to "spin" the argument so you agree with them.

So try to understand both sides positions, eliminate the hyperbole and decide for yourself.

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
S.O.P.A is a horrendous infringement on the freedoms of American citizens. The fact is its a slippery slope. Many sites will be shut down if it passes and NOT just for piracy. Essentially any site that is deemed "unsavory" will be on the chopping block. This includes anti government comedy, questionable moral sites, even organizational sites for minority groups. Its a step towards fascism. Look at how the Patriot Act has been abused to fit a myriad of situations. T11 very well could be effected and shut down for a number of reasons. Think about how many people think magic is some sort of devil worship. Yes, thats ridiculous but lets remember its republicans we are dealing with and they don't really think. This legislation needs to be stopped or we will end up like China. Go to google and sign the petition, call your sentator and congressman. Do what is necessary to stop this infringement on our freedoms.

Jan 15, 2012
AU
S.O.P.A is a horrendous infringement on the freedoms of American citizens. The fact is its a slippery slope. Many sites will be shut down if it passes and NOT just for piracy. Essentially any site that is deemed "unsavory" will be on the chopping block. This includes anti government comedy, questionable moral sites, even organizational sites for minority groups. Its a step towards fascism. Look at how the Patriot Act has been abused to fit a myriad of situations. T11 very well could be effected and shut down for a number of reasons. Think about how many people think magic is some sort of devil worship. Yes, thats ridiculous but lets remember its republicans we are dealing with and they don't really think. This legislation needs to be stopped or we will end up like China. Go to google and sign the petition, call your sentator and congressman. Do what is necessary to stop this infringement on our freedoms.

I second the motion. Some people think that it wont affect them but it will for sure. If not now later. You may ignore issue this but in reality this is something we have to fight for. Democracy for the people!

Keep in mind that the burden of proof lies solely with the website and it's owners. Lets pretend for example that I get pissed off at theory11 because I don't win an SNC. All I have to do is accuse them of violating a copyright issue, and Uncle Sam steps in and shuts the site down. Am I responsible for making an error in bad faith? No. Does Uncle Sam have to verify the accuracy of the accusation first? No. There is next to no legal oversight for SOPA and PIPA. Instead the burden of proof lays completely with the the website owners (theory11) to prove that they are not in any violation.

Don't get me wrong, I think that a couple of good people with good intentions came up with an idea they thought would help, but this is a very dangerous act that is going through congress right now, and it's one that will change the internet as we know it (for the worse) should it pass.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

S.O.P.A is a horrendous infringement on the freedoms of American citizens. The fact is its a slippery slope. Many sites will be shut down if it passes and NOT just for piracy. Essentially any site that is deemed "unsavory" will be on the chopping block. This includes anti government comedy, questionable moral sites, even organizational sites for minority groups. Its a step towards fascism.

Wow. I'd suggest going to Wikipedia and reading about SOPA and the Protect IP Act (noting that Wikipedia is opposed to both acts, but gives an unbiased explanation). There actually is no power to shut down a website, rather the enforcement is to not have the website able to be found using search engines or to obtain funds using payment processors and that is only after a court order (or a failure to respond to an inquiry under SOPA).

There is absolutely nothing in the legislation that shuts down "unsavory" sites.

What is even more interesting is that neither piece of legislation applies to websites within the United States. Bet you didn't know that. Why? Because the existing U.S. copyright law can apply to those websites.

T11 very well could be effected and shut down for a number of reasons. Think about how many people think magic is some sort of devil worship.

No, it couldn't. It is a U.S. based website and therefore is outside the scope of either act. Further, neither act has the power to shut down websites. Even further, there would have to be proof before a court that there was infringement before any action under either act would be required (unless a counter notice was not provided under SOPA). Finally, I don't think that a regular person can bring an action under either act, but it must be a copyright holder.

Yes, thats ridiculous but lets remember its republicans we are dealing with and they don't really think.

Interesting because the AFL-CIO a union that is a strong supporter of the Democratic party is supporting the bill and the Tea Party is opposed to it.

This legislation needs to be stopped or we will end up like China. Go to google and sign the petition, call your sentator and congressman. Do what is necessary to stop this infringement on our freedoms.

We will end up like China? Really? That sounds like hyperbole to me.

What freedom is being infringed upon here? The freedom to surf (i.e. search for and send money to) non-U.S. based websites that violate copyrights. Yep. That's it.

Think about your reply before you make it. If you say freedom of speech -- first figure out who's speech is being restricted. It's not your speech. Secondly, recognize that commercial speech has typically been able to be restricted -- for example advertising about cigarettes or the making of false advertising claims (contrast that with political speech which is protected even if it is false).

Keep in mind that the burden of proof lies solely with the website and it's owners. Lets pretend for example that I get pissed off at theory11 because I don't win an SNC. All I have to do is accuse them of violating a copyright issue, and Uncle Sam steps in and shuts the site down. Am I responsible for making an error in bad faith? No. Does Uncle Sam have to verify the accuracy of the accusation first? No. There is next to no legal oversight for SOPA and PIPA.

This is the description of how SOPA operates from Wikipedia:

The bill would authorize the U.S. Department of Justice to seek court orders against websites outside U.S. jurisdiction accused of infringing on copyrights, or of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. After delivering a court order, the U.S. Attorney General could require US-directed Internet service providers, ad networks, and payment processors to suspend doing business with sites found to infringe on federal criminal intellectual property laws. The Attorney General could also bar search engines from displaying links to the sites.

The bill also establishes a two-step process for intellectual property rights holders to seek relief if they have been harmed by a site dedicated to infringement. The rights holder must first notify, in writing, related payment facilitators and ad networks of the identity of the website, who, in turn, must then forward that notification and suspend services to that identified website, unless that site provides a counter notification explaining how it is not in violation. The rights holder can then sue for limited injunctive relief against the site operator, if such a counter notification is provided, or if the payment or advertising services fail to suspend service in the absence of a counter notification.

Under that description, unless you are the copyright holder you cannot take any action against any website (again, T11 wouldn't be even covered because it is within the U.S.). Next, there has to be either a non-response from the website or a court order before the third-party has to take any action. The discretion of the U.S. Department of Justice provides some check that meritless claims will not be brought but there is also judicial oversight in terms of having to obtain a court order.

Don't get me wrong, I think that a couple of good people with good intentions came up with an idea they thought would help, but this is a very dangerous act that is going through congress right now, and it's one that will change the internet as we know it (for the worse) should it pass.

On the good intentions side, this is an attempt to keep foreign websites from illegally selling copyrighted material (and counterfeit drugs) in the United States. I agree with that idea. However, I have some concerns about the mechanism used and the procedural safeguards that are in place in the pending legislation.

I have a bigger problem with the "it will be the end of the world" exaggeration. It is a sign that people are being swayed by the "spin" without digging deeper into the facts. It's also like that old game of telephone where everyone repeats something they heard to the next person in line and by the end of the line the entire meaning changes.

If you are interested, read the Wikipedia summaries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The main problem with it is that it stops creativity and it didn't give the "offending" websites a chance to defend themselves. Which is pretty stupid in itself. The other problem is that it would cause the Internet we have to becoming one step closers to china's.

The other main problem is that this would hurt and kill so many big business out there that rely on the internet that it would pretty much ruin the economy even more than it's already screwed up.

Sep 3, 2011
Middle of nowhere NY
I agree with RealityOne that SOPA and PIPA are grossly over-exaggerated...with that being said, I still disagree with both bills. I, like many others in my area, believe that the ideas behind them are important-- slowing or completely stopping piracy would undoubtedly be a good thing-- but disagree with the methods behind the acts.

Also, I am still (barely) under voting age, so I technically have no say in this.

Lastly, I would love to see an "official" statement from theory11 on their stand on these issues. I think my asking of that is somewhat presumptuous, but I was certainly wondering when a thread like this would pop up, and if theory11 would have anything to say. It's also worth saying that regardless theory11's stance, I will continue to support the company.

Just my two cents or so.

Feb 7, 2011
@Reality One.

I respect that you are the only person Ive seen defending the bill in a reasonable manner. Though you aren't fully for it, just against people blindly jumping on bandwagons i think. I approach everything like that. My best friend loves conspiracy theories, I mean i love them too, but im sceptical of everything. Even if i believe it to be true i will question it. He was the one who told me about SOPA. Unfortunately he told me the same day he had told me that the American government had banned collecting rainwater in many states, because it's their property. I said no, bullshine, obviously there is more to it, obviously it has something to do with the growing risks of acid rain or something similar. I questioned it. I love micheal moore films, for entertainment. I dont form my opinions from them. I approached SOPA and PIPA the same way. Even though im not american, if it were to pass in america, the uk and ireland would most certainly follow suit.

Here is where I say we stay quiet Reality One. I questioned and i questioned. but these bills are a train wreck. Unbiased thinking is the best approach to anything, but there is no questioning this, they are terrible and should not be supported or defended.

"I have certain rules I live by, my first rule? I dont believe anything the Government tells me" - George Carlin.

Exaggerated in comedy style, but it makes sense to me, and you guys in america have an even worse government then I do. You know this Is just them looking out for the big guy at the expense of the small guy.

Im trying to say your's is the right approach, but at the wrong time. There's no doubt in my mind.

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
There is no doubt that the plan is to eventually limit and control the internet as they do in north korea or china. It has been talked about for 15 years, documents have been released etc...but before it was all talked about in secret. Now everything is right in our faces. "we want to stop people from downloading movies" well...that might be all fine and good, but with this bill they can also shut down ANY website that THE GOVERNMENT see's right to shut down. Its unlimited authority to do basically anything they want, and once you give your government unlimited authority (ndaa comes to mind...) its just downhill from there.

I predict within the next 10 years there will be a serious virus outbreak, or somebody hacked into the power grid, and youll see this law pass without a hitch.

Of course itll come out that the government was in-fact responsible (but blamed on anonymous or the chinese of course)...

Feb 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Well, there is one thing that make me think: I'm canadian so it doesn't touch me directly. But there is something that someone (can't remember his name) said once and it hit me: you can easily give power to the governement, but it's hard to take it back. Even here in Canada, particularly in Quebec, I think we give to much "power" to the government. We call it "gouvernmaman" (if I would be able to translate it, I would say "governmomy") and it's not for nothing. So basically, it will depend on how they will use the law. I don't know for you, but I don't think our government would be able to handle it correctly.

Sep 2, 2007
While SOPA and PIPA don't "shut down" foreign websites, it's still an act of censorship, which, you know, is bad...and does nothing to solve the piracy issue.

The main reason for concern is because the language is ambiguous and possibly open to abuse, and that it will hurt startups and future innovation:

One of the big reasons why a company is able to go from a few computers in a garage to a multi-billion dollar company is due to the open nature of the internet. The barrier to entry on creating a new site or product is very low. Adding legislation that regulates this open platform will seriously hamper future business.

Entrepreneurs will need to invest in legal counsel to ensure they can properly respond to a PROTECT IP or SOPA order. New sites and products will need to invest precious development time to build-in censorship utilities so that they can remove links to foreign sites. New advertising networks will need to calculate the new risk of displaying ads for or on foreign websites. Sites will also be heavily discouraged from using non-US domain names due to the broad language in the bills on how they may be defined.

Adding regulation to one of the few growing sectors in the U.S. will result in a "chilling effect" and will push individuals and business to start ventures elsewhere. Threatening this existing ecosystem for the purpose of making it slightly harder to pirate movies is a very dangerous tradeoff.

http://blog.reddit.com/2012/01/technical-examination-of-sopa-and.html

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results