Improving The World: Portugal

Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: Portugal

Improve the World: Portugal

Continental Location: Southwestern Europe
What They Call Themselves: Portuguese
Primary Language: Portuguese
Prominent Cities: Lisbon (In Portuguese, Lisboa; capital); Oporto
Currency: The Euro

Starter Phrases:
Welcome: Bem-vindos
Hello: Ola
Good Morning: Bom Dia
Good Afternoon: Bom tarde
Goodbye: Adeus (Ah-DAY-use) or Tchau! (Like the Italian “ciao”)
Thank you: Obrigado (m) or Obrigada (f)
You’re Welcome: Voce e Bem-vindo
Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/ Celebrities: Carmen Miranda; Nelly Futado (Canadian-born Portuguese pop singer); Nuno Bettencourt (guitarist for Extreme, “More Than Words”); Cristiano Ronaldo (soccer; one of the world’s highest paid professional atheletes).
-Portugal was a major colonial player during the “Portuguese Age of Discovery.” Brazil, still a Portuguese-speaking nation was its largest colony. Portugal was one of the last western European nations to give up its colonies and overseas territories, turning over the administration of Macau to the People’s Republic of China in 1999. Famous Portuguese explorers include Prince Henry the Navigator & Vasco de Gama, famed for sailing to India.
-They consider July 25, 1139 their Independence Day.
-Portugal is part of the Iberian Peninsula with Spain. It is the westernmost country in Europe. The name Portugal derives from the Roman name Portus Cale which means the “Port of the Celts.”
-The Portuguese are major futebol (soccer) fans. Native son and International Player of the Year, Cristiano Ronaldo signed a $132 million contract with Real Madrid in 2009, believed to have made him the highest-paid player in the world. That’s a lot of cash for a then 24 year old.
-Port wine is from Portugal. A sweet red wine, it is usually served as a dessert wine. Douro, Portugal’s port wine region has become a popular destination.
-The Azores Islands and Madeira are part of Portugal.
-Carmen Miranda, known as the “Bombshell from Brazil” was born in Portugal. She was a huge star of the screen and popular singer and dancer in Brazil before coming to America with her iconic fruit-laden headwear.

What to Avoid:
Confusion with the Spaniards. Their language has distinct differences from Spanish.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results