The perfect trailer

Nov 27, 2009
What does the perfect trailer for a magic trick have in it? I'm working on a couple of effects for The Wire and I'd like to know what you guys want to see in the trailer. Please post your opinions, I'll consider all of them and work towards something that combines the best ideas. (I've been doing these effects for a while now, I'm not just creating stuff for the sake of selling it.)

Also, I know this should probably go in The Wire section of the forum, but I'm going to post this question here anyway. Do you think it would be better to release one video with the two tricks in it and charge more? or should I charge less per video and release 2 videos?

Jan 12, 2010
In my personal opinion, the perfect trailer is an uncut performance, though that is not the most professional. I suppose a good and professional looking trailer includes the most important parts of the effects, combined with attractive statements (keep it honest though, because a lot of companies and magicians like to twist terms in terrible ways, just for the sake of being able to use those terms, like 'impromptu', 'clean' and 'ungimmicked').

If the tricks are similar in a way, you may want to release them together, but if they are too different from each other I would definitely release them as separate videos if I were you.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm going to release several tricks on the Wire as well, and I plan to use the following criteria for my trailers:

-Uncut performance (if the trick can handle it)
-Clear studio or live performance
-Shot in good quality (preferably HD)
-Minimal but effective editing

A trailer really doesn't need much. The effect will make me buy something, not the video on which it's demoed.

Apr 27, 2010
baller08.blogspot.com
That's a good question that should be asked more today. You want an example of good trailers, look at some of T11's initial effects such as Witness. Anything in that first 6 months - 1 yr were solid trailers that showed the trick in a more honest way without the Michael Bay type video affects.

Aug 17, 2010
A perfect trailer would be a live performance in the real world, working for real people.

I think if the tricks go together well (like John Carney's bit with a bar napkin), then I'd put them together.

Oct 15, 2011
Smoke all trailers need some smoke.... but in all seriouseness I good representation of the effect either through full performance or most of the performance. Good music really helps and some suspence at the beggining before you see the trick

D@n

Oct 11, 2011
I think the perfect trailer would be a Title screen for the beginning, then a full uncut performance for a spectator in a room with nice lighting, then a screen afterwards stating the pros and cons of the trick, however I don't know if this will get very many people to buy it, but the people who do buy it will be more satisfied than purchasing an effect with a lot of cuts, and suspenseful music because they will know what they are buying.
Dan

GarethNg

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2011
In my opinion:

Live performances
A small demo of teaching
You introducing the trick verbally.
An in-studio performance. ( you could just use a table.)
Good music
Not too long.

Nov 27, 2009
Thanks guys. The tricks are in no way magician-foolers, so I'm a bit nervous about putting an uncut studio performance on the trailer, a live performance is not a problem though. One of the tricks, if it makes it to The Wire, could be worked out in a minute or two by anyone who'd read Royal Road. Do you guys think that's a problem?

The other trick has a pass-like move that is very difficult to cover without heavy misdirection, so I'm nervous about putting that on a trailer as well. Any suggestions there? (On the plus-side, I've fooled a younger magician using the move. Thankfully, he took my misdirection, otherwise it would have been obvious.)

I'd be willing to PM someone performance videos if that would help you give advice under the condition that whoever I PM agrees not to perform the tricks for magicians until the trick hits The Wire or I let you know otherwise. (I'll PM the first 3 people who ask, and agree to the above conditions.) Also, it would be nice to have someone else's input on originality and crediting, so if someone who is rather knowledgeable on magic literature would be willing to preview my tricks, again agreeing to the above conditions, and give me some input that would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 27, 2011
India
Just because somewhat figures out the trick doesn't mean they'll be able to do it effectively.(Unless it's too obvious).

As for the pass you could switch camera angles so you have a better angle.Though it is for the wire so i think you'd rather have a small trailer and one street performance isn't bad.

Anyhow, I'd love to take a look at the performance videos and i agree to your conditions.

-Punyesh

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'll gladly preview them for you, as I'm submitting stuff soon to the Wire as well and feel you on the feedback thing. I've gotten wonderful feedback, and I'd like to give back. I can offer my suggestions for the situation, however good they may be, haha.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results