Saturday Night Contest - Tech Magic

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
What’s up everyone? Casey it out shredding the slopes this weekend and asked me to fill in tonight. While he is out there having a blast in the snow, let’s do something that will make him jealous.

Tonight, in honor of the recent release of iPredict+ and other technology based effects in the Wire, we are putting technology at the forefront of our contest. Technology has allowed us to do some crazy things. With iPredict+, it allows your spectator to call a psychic and have their card revealed on THEIR phone. This is nowhere near the limit for technology in magic, so we want to explore some of the yet uncharted territory. Tonight, you get to create a magic trick based on technology.

You have until Sunday night at 11:00pm EST to create, film, and post a new magic effect that involves the use of technology. The sky is the limit. Do something with your TV, Android, iPad, laptop, or any other technology based device. Use it in a magic effect that YOU CREATE. We want to see fresh, new tricks, so your effect cannot be recycled old material. We are also not allowing magic tricks that require video editing. You CAN edit your videos if you like, but your trick must achievable without video edits.

All entries must be posted in this thread, via Youtube or Vimeo, by tomorrow night at 11:00pm EST. One entry per person is allowed. All effects must be created and filmed new for this contest. The video that shows the best use of technology in magic will win an Uncut Sheet of Steampunk Playing Cards, shipped on the house!

We know you have devious ideas in your heads already, so let us see them come to life.

Good luck!

Sep 18, 2011
I saw this contest coming and uploaded it on February 11 (like theory 11), so thats two effects in one. Just kidding, its alright, looking forward to see some kick-ass tricks. :)

Question for clarification Lyle:

Does the trick have to use legitimate technology, such as electronics, computers, i-phones, etc or can it be perceived technology such as weird science, steam punk, etc?
IE: A steam powered device that transports an object from one location to the other as if by "magic"?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Question for clarification Lyle:

Does the trick have to use legitimate technology, such as electronics, computers, i-phones, etc or can it be perceived technology such as weird science, steam punk, etc?
IE: A steam powered device that transports an object from one location to the other as if by "magic"?

Each submission should utilize technology in some physical, tangible form - whether that be a phone, television, flashlight, iPod, laptop, calculator, camera, or anything else of that nature.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
has to be original?

Correct - a NEW effect of your own creation, using technology in some way, shape, or form. It can be simple, and it can be basic, and it can certainly be a work in progress. We're not expecting perfection overnight! But when you push yourself, and really aim high, sometimes amazing things can result.

Well I wish everyone who did manage to get an entry in good luck. I'm not going to lie... this challenge is a hard one. I'm sitting here with 4 hours to deadline and my white board is clean of any idea. I think I'm going to call it quits on this week. Nice entries to those who have submitted, and again good luck!

Sep 3, 2011
Middle of nowhere NY
Eh, I created a small little something. I want to firstly apologize for two things-- it was shot from an iPad which my cameraman (thanks, brother) unfortunately turned on its side. So the frame is completely obnoxious to watch, but the effect is still there. Second, I'm getting over a cold, so my voice is still kind of scratchy.

Anyways hope you enjoy and good luck to everyone else :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqi6uspABKM

Edit: I would greatly appreciate if you hit 720p and let it buffer for the time it needs. It greatly helps with the quality!

Edit Number 2: I've realized the text on the Word document is hard to see. Quite aptly, the one with the Queen of Spades says "Your Card is the Queen of Spades" and the one with the Eight of Hearts says "Your Card is the Eight of Hearts"

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results