Things I'm learning in college

Nov 27, 2009
I thought I'd post this story as a bit of advice for the younger guys on the forum.

I'm currently in college, and my school has a rule against cards. The rule is so strict that you can't play Uno on campus. Because of this rule, I'm not allowed to do card tricks. Being a magician though, I always have a deck on me, and love performing when I get a chance. Being in school provided me with an audience, so I performed card tricks. I did this for a while, then after getting "busted" I'd stop, but I never really stopped, I'd just stop for a while and then start again, much like a skater who has found a good spot and has to keep running from the cops.

Usually I just got warnings and a slap on the wrist kind of thing, but things changed. I got busted again on Thursday, and this time they mean business. I got a letter from the one of the Vice Presidents of the school.

I'm not proud of this by any stretch. I know what I did was wrong. I now have to meet with the "big cheese" (I mean that in the most respectful way. That's just the easiest term to use.) and find just how much trouble I'm really in. To make matters worse, I'm almost done at that school, so getting suspended now would be devastating.

The lesson here should be obvious. Don't break the rules, no matter how crazy they may seem.

Jan 20, 2009
California
There are A lot of rules,law,regulations That we may think are stupid but
they are there for a reason and yes we do have to follow them....

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
Good lesson in life. Thanks for sharing. I hope you don't get in too much trouble.

If I were you I would use that rule as motivation to perfect my coin work, because no one will ever ban you from having money.

Nov 27, 2009
Out of curiosity, what kind of college has a ban on cards? It would be interesting to learn why that rule is in place.

You may be surprised to know that it's a public community college. Apparently they used to allow card playing, but some group of people got too rowdy and ended up flipping tables and such. Now it's banned for everyone.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Sounds about right. It's always a select few that ruins for everyone.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Arnold Shwarzenegger's second rule:

"Break the rules. We have so many rules in life about everything, I say break the rules, not the law but break the rules. It is impossible to be a maverick or true original if you're too well behaved and don't want to break the rules."

"The only way I ever got any place was by breaking some of the rules."

Here is the video if anyone is interested. Very inspirational.
[video=youtube;LuJ4hbkLiY0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJ4hbkLiY0[/video]

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Very interesting. I'm assuming the problems (flipping tables and such) were probably with Texas hold'em games and such on campus. Now they probably say no cards for everyone. The cannot make exceptions for some or there will be a gray area. That sounds unfair and stinks, but allowing you would be opening up a can a worms.

Perhaps you could show him that you are a magician and you are just having fun learning your trade, but he may not care at all and stick to his guns. That is truly unfortunate.

Oct 22, 2011
I'm with Arnold. I break the rules all the time. Laws are different from rules, and it's important to question authority.

If you want to blow the "big cheese" away, take your deck when you meet with him. Do some magic. You most likely won't change his mind, but if you show him something amazing, he may understand. A lecture, but no real penalty.

Don't just lay down man!

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Steve, I understand your point, but I'm pretty sure out in the "real world" if you work for a boss, and you continually question his or her authority...I'm pretty sure you will be reprimanded or find yourself minus a career. Try explaining that to your wife and kids. That is on a much grander scale of course.

Aug 17, 2010
Perhaps a better course of action would have been to ask the powers that be if the rule could be amended to "no card games."

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Even better Butterfield....but many times administration goes with the All or Nothing Policy so they don't have to pick and choose their battles. Then they would have to specify what constitutes "card game". Someone could technically be playing solitaire while sitting by themselves and that would be a "card game".

Aug 17, 2010
Solitaire is by definition an game... I think the dictionary definition of game would suffice.

I'd leave that to a Solitaire player to bring his case to the powers that be - and would suggest that he ask the rule to be worded to include "two or more participants" (to preclude a dealer and blackjack player).

But the point does remain that this is an institution that one enrols in voluntarily, and to repeatedly flaunt the rules invites trouble. If rules are not enforced, then they are only guidelines.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
I have to disagree with stevepc0 and the idea of taking a deck of cards to the meeting.
It's a formal meeting, not saying that card magic cannot fit into a formal meeting, but there's time and place for it.
(This, is less than ideal situation for that)
I think the best you can do is discuss what you were doing, apologize for breaking/bending the school ground rule.
I don't particularly feel like what you did is wrong, but I just don't think it's worth it to do what may jeopardize your graduation is all.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
My question is can't you perform with anything but cards? If so then do other things and if not it'd be a great time to learn other types of magic and practice with coins and everyday objects. Luckily I never had a problem with cards anywhere but I did do other things. It helps to have various things in your back pocket for situations like this. IF you try to perform to him don't with cards. I'd say just don't perform with cards anymore and do something with things that can't get you in trouble.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results