Help a Noob

Hey guys, I'm a long time lurker but a new member, I want to start doing some street magic but I'm not sure about my moves, can you give me any advice on this video please? Thanks. I know I speak very quietly so I apologise for that, my confidence is something I'm working on :D

[video=youtube;cNrfxhVrInE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNrfxhVrInE[/video]

Oct 15, 2011
Pretty good as you kinda of mentioned you could talk louder and have a more engaging patter but good trick and performed well.

Oh yeah and get a sharpie not a pen

Nov 27, 2009
Brilliantly done sleights! You do need to speak up, but you've already acknowledged that. You're on your way to becoming a very good magician.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Get out and perform for real people. Your performance lacks a bit, but really, trial and error while performing will determine what the spectator reacts to. Your sleights are flawless if you want feedback, get a sharpie and work on your presentation.

Trick and mechanics are fine, they'll definitely fool muggles - I enjoy seeing that DL every time, you do it well. I'm just gonna re-iterate what everyone else has said, speak up, work on the patter and BUY A SHARPIE! Seriously, it's the modern equivalent to a magic wand.

And get out there and perform, I really need to take that advice myself......

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Sleights looked flawless. Great DL. Buy a sharpie and if you want to dress it up a bit throw it in a Sherpa cover. The effect isn't new but I'm sure you know that. Get some good patter with that and it will FRY people. The only minor thing I saw was on your pinkly pull down when not covered by a card fan....angle / tilt the front of the deck up some and the back down so that the deck and card 6spades isn't completely flat.

Nicely done.

Feb 12, 2012
I agree with everyone else. Very great sleights. You're on your way to becoming a pro but I have a couple tips. First, of course, use a sharpie, second, I know you were just performing for the camera but when saying "tell me when to stop" do a dribble or something instead. And lastly, I really suggest working on being more captivating in the performance maybe simply by adding flashy false cuts and flourishes. Hope this helps man, great video.

Sep 1, 2007
Solid work there. Remember that the spectators, nor you - should be staring at the deck the entire time you're performing an effect. That's something that I think is so misleading about magic adverts and videos, there's more focus on the deck of cards and your hands than there would be in any performance you're going to do.

Technique is for when misdirection fails.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Beans makes a valid point there. Too many times I see magicians and spectators burning the deck because there is not good interaction and eye contact between the magician and the spectators. Don't be afraid to pause...look them in the eyes and smile or laugh. This is when you can be doing a pinky pull down, top palm, etc.

Apr 14, 2011
Very, very good. Loved the sleights. Work on being louder, as you said, and try and be a little more fluid with your movements. In a real life setting flash flourishes and well carried out fans will actually do wonders in the way of misdirection.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
Very, very good. Loved the sleights. Work on being louder, as you said, and try and be a little more fluid with your movements. In a real life setting flash flourishes and well carried out fans will actually do wonders in the way of misdirection.

" You know what they say about sleight of hand? Nothing. They didn't see it."

that seems a little strange after you read your signature lol!

Haha thanks for all the kind words people :D
I'll do my best to make the performance more captivating and not just speak the bare minimum, and also get a sharpie :D
Thanks again for all the feedback :D

Apr 14, 2011
Haha, I can see how you would say that! I meant that they 'will do wonders in the way of presentation"

oooops :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Haha, I can see how you would say that! I meant that they 'will do wonders in the way of presentation"

oooops :)

Depends on the performer and audience. In my personal opinion, flourishy card tricks are not even remotely magical. It's just another kind of juggling and I'm just not interested. So, if a performer were to try to enhance their presentation with a ton of complicated flourishes while performing to me, they'd immediately lose me. Several of my closest magic friends feel the same way. This is why I always try to make my magic as simple and straight forward as possible, with no excess movements at all.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results