One More Idea

Apr 11, 2012
I finally think I've created a good trick. it is a trick in which two red jokers are lost into a blue deck. by the way it's called counterfeit. back to the description. afterwards a cards is chosen and shown to the spectators. it is placed back to the deck and the magician gives the deck a few cuts and a dribble. he then spreads through the deck to find the two red cards are beside on blue. it is their cards. but! he shows them the red cards and they are the same cards but the opposite color. you can then show they are the only red cards in the deck. the audience is amazed. the deck can then be handed out for inspection. the video is here. please watch and tell me what I should call it, what people should pay for it and what you think of it. Thanks

Sammuel E Keryliuk

Click here for video

I don't personally believe this is Wire worthy, but at least you have something. I only think this due to the method not having too much depth to it when it comes to having knowledge of basic sleights, but I do have to say the idea behind the trick is a nice one.

Performance-wise I'll just point out that you do funny things with your fingers that will look either unnatural or suspicious to spectators. You also handle the cards "like a plank of wood" as Dai Vernon puts it; and without mentioning sleights or the method, you should let the cards look natural and have confidence nothing will go badly (it never does).

I think the idea is good, but the video editing needs work. I'm not sure you should be doing strong black screen cut aways during the performance especially if you are trying to sell a trick. They are very distracting. Remember to sell me on the magic trick, not your fancy camera effects. I'm not even sure how to describe the camera like pho-woble in and out thing that you do a few times in the video, I'm just not a fan of that. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing, I'm just saying that it doesn't work for me on a personal level.

There is another element about this video that I know instinctively isn't working right for you but I'm having trouble drawing into words quite how to express it. The way you are handling the cards is way too "I'm going to try and show you a magic trick". It doesn't look natural. It comes off very mechanical. Almost like if you didn't hold the deck in that exact way you couldn't do the trick at all. I don't know how much time you've spent working on the details of this effect, but maybe spend a few hours just drilling the movements so you get butter smooth with them?

Like I said though, I think the premise for the trick is a good one. Not a fan of all extra fluff you do, the extra cuts, the dribble, etc... but the premise is good. I think if you spend a little time working with it you'll come out with something solid.

As an added afterthought, It could be the cold medication I'm on but I really had a hard time telling the color differences on the backs of the playing cards. I think it had something to do with the card back design. That or the medication is finally getting to me. Maybe try filming this with either red/blue bikes, OR ghost/black tiger. Something where the color contrast REALLY stands out. it would make it more visual.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I have to kinda echo the above sentiments. As a plot it looks new. I actually think you might get aproved for this but that doesn't mean you should release it yet.

The black outs are distracting, when you cut the cards it looks like you're concentrating really hard, you'll want to get to the point that those are second nature. Also The contrast between the red and blues you use isn't too strong on camera.

I think it looks like an alright effect, I just think it can easily better if you apply some of the above.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results