Creating flourishes

Mar 4, 2012
Hey there guys
I was wondering how long into flourishing did you start creating flourishes and how do you create your flourishes?

I created my first flourish somewhere in 2005-2006 (I think) when I had no idea what flourishing/XCM/cardistry was and was just a kid who enjoyed magic. For me it's just been something that happens, but I've never made the effort to stare at a deck of cards and figure out how to do something new with it flourish-wise.

Nov 17, 2011
iowa
i created my first flourish probably a month after my first year in for me the more i know the more i can create my own flourishes.
i too have never just stared at a deck thinking of ways to create a flourish.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
I actually disagree with "PurpleMustache" above me. Flourishing is a progressive art; new things are created from old things. Try taking the Z-Grip for example. Think of how many different ways you can do the Z-Grip. Try it upside down, backwards, one handed, sideways, add a few packs. It's all about adding something new. Try it with the scissor cut; I'm sure you'l figure out something.

May 9, 2012
New York
That's true, but i think its also important to be original. if everyone just modified old moves, we'd never get new ones. the best flourishes i've seen are on Ekaterina's Pure. she does things with the cards that not only have i never seen, but i didn't know were possible. her originality is what makes her flourishes so great.

yyyyyyy

Elite Member
Apr 7, 2012
Some people can draw a form of unparalleled inspiration from seemingly nowhere. That isn't a common skill; 100% originality. Its preferable to create that way, but some people can't think that way. Ekaterina doesn't even draw her moves from 100% original inspiration. She refers multiple times to the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes and one of her moves is a variation of the Thumb Cut box. Also, she did a variation of the Moonwalk by Ellusionist Kent. The flourish where she spreads the cards on her arm and then takes her arm away is obviously a variation of the Arm Spread. The flourish where she spins the display on her watch is a concept derived from the "card spinning on watch" move. Chris Hestnes taught that move on Papercuts. The move where the splits a giant fan and spreads the cards on top is obviously a move that came from the Giant Fan and the Ribbon Spread. Ekaterina is a fantastic artist but a lot of her moves are variants of classic moves. That's fine; her variations happen to be really well done. This is proof that you don't need to be 100% original to make beautiful moves.

May 9, 2012
New York
That's fair. i do agree that it's rare for someone to be totally original. Still, it doesn't mean you can't try. i heard that advice on theory11 and i thought it was pretty smart. i know it's not for everyone, but it's still substantial advice for someone trying to create. i may have exagerated on being 100% original but it's still good to be original. for example, Andrei Jikh has the backpack cut. a cut is obviously not a new concept, but a cut on the back of your hand is.

May 17, 2011
the best advice i know about creating flourishes (which i read on theory11) is to forget every move you already know and be 100% original.

First, I would like to say I like this quote, very useful.

Second, I never leard other flourishes, every since I started, I've hoped around this internet, taking little bits of stuff and sort of teaching myself. Only resently have I really started creating full flourishes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results