Comments on this trick?

Apr 23, 2012
Okay, I spent a few minutes and came up with this. It's a pretty simple method but it seems to get really strong reactions.

T11 rejected it as a free trick for The Wire so if anyone has any ideas that could make it better then feel free to let me know.

Tell me what you think of the effect (good or bad and why) I'd like to know.
If you don't know how it's done and would like to know then message my Youtube account.

Thanks

[video]http://youtu.be/ee0LcfkC590[/video]

Oct 23, 2011
It's a really nice effect :) but i'm not sure if it's worth to destroy a card just to perform this effect though ...

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's one of those tricks that's kind of neat, but I just find myself asking, "Why?"

What's the point of the effect? It seems kind of like you just created it to create something. Without some kind of presentation (The video is just set to music) it just seems like the most random thing.

Why are you pulling a rubber band through a card? Why does the card have to be folded?

Currently, I think it's a good start, but that's all. You need to develop it more and give it some kind of internal logic for it to be a good trick.

Apr 23, 2012
I agree on some points and disagree on others.
Firstly, it doesn't have to be a band, it can be a sharpie or something else. I use a band because I always keep one on my arm.
About the 'why' thing, I guess you could ask that about any trick. It's all about the patter.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I agree on some points and disagree on others.
Firstly, it doesn't have to be a band, it can be a sharpie or something else. I use a band because I always keep one on my arm.
About the 'why' thing, I guess you could ask that about any trick. It's all about the patter.

I'd like to see other objects as well, that could be quite interesting.

Not all tricks need scripting for motivation. Things such as table knocking, psychic surgery, ghost writing, etc. Other tricks need a script in order to give a reason to do them. Your trick needs a script, but the video had only music. With no script, it was merely what Eugene Burger would call a stunt. Which is fine if that's what you're after.

As I said, I think it's a good start but I would like to see more development to make it really powerful.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I'd like to see other objects as well, that could be quite interesting.

Not all tricks need scripting for motivation. Things such as table knocking, psychic surgery, ghost writing, etc. Other tricks need a script in order to give a reason to do them. Your trick needs a script, but the video had only music. With no script, it was merely what Eugene Burger would call a stunt. Which is fine if that's what you're after.

I still think you were being a bit presumptuous in your first post. You could honestly say the same thing about literally any standard plot in close up magic.

*The card comes to the top*. Why, for what possible reason or inherent logical premise?

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't get the effect to be honest, BUT, I did think that it is was something to do with the band... If you can put other objects through the card (A pen, as you mentioned), that might be really cool and more logical to the spectator.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I still think you were being a bit presumptuous in your first post. You could honestly say the same thing about literally any standard plot in close up magic.

*The card comes to the top*. Why, for what possible reason or inherent logical premise?

You do realize you're focusing on one aspect and completely ignoring any advice I'm giving, right? You're also ignoring every bit where I'm saying I like what you're doing.

You asked people to comment on your trick, I commented on your trick, now you're effectively whining about what I said. Try to step back from the ego and maybe just evaluate what people are telling you instead of getting defensive and clamping down on your justifications.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
You do realize you're focusing on one aspect and completely ignoring any advice I'm giving, right? You're also ignoring every bit where I'm saying I like what you're doing.

You asked people to comment on your trick, I commented on your trick, now you're effectively whining about what I said. Try to step back from the ego and maybe just evaluate what people are telling you instead of getting defensive and clamping down on your justifications.

Try reading who posted what.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Ah, my bad. Sorry about that.

Well then, to redirect that. There's plenty of tricks that are inherently justified or at least logical. Duplicating or increasing the value of money is justified because of course people would like more money, for example. It's just that the current trend in magic (which, as far as I can tell, has been going for quite a while now) is tricks that are not inherently justified. Therefore, they need to be justified by presentations to make them into good magic instead of just stunts. Unless all one wants to do is a stunt, then there's no further work needed.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
What did theory11 say when they rejected it? Did they say something about the trick at all? Or the trailer?

I think it looks fine but it is a little bit unpolished. Kudos for getting a live performance.

The live performance made the effect unclear. I really didn't know what was going on. It didn't look like the spectator understood either.

I didn't realize until about 30 seconds into the trick that there were subtitles. It might help to make them more prominent.

The buyer has to know what your trick does, I didn't realize what it did until I saw the second video. I think it needs to be re filmed, so it is more clear.

So it's like "Object Through Bill", but with a card?

Maybe it's just cause I'm a card guy, but I kinda liked that. I get the feeling it would be a fantastic opener to use right before Danny's Torn. (I mean, I don't know how this is done, so I can't really say for sure, but it's an interesting idea.)

Apr 23, 2012
I was told that this trick wasn't deceptive enough. I was offering it as a free trick. I was very dissapointed because in my opinion, lately, a few worse tricks have been upped to the wire such as the 2 matches trick and the 'not so holey' trick. Yes, a more clear video would be better. Agreed.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results