What do you bring to a magic convention?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Hey guys so I'm super stoked :) I'll be attending my first ever magic convention this next week, IMX! I'm a little nervous and I want to make sure I'm prepared.

What do you bring to a magic convention?

I doubt they allow video during the lectures but would you ever take a voice recorder? Is that even allowed at most?

How many coins, or decks of cards do you bring?

If you going let me know and we can give each other high fives or something. If you have any other advice let me know :)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Just a cheap deck of cards, conventions of any kind are usually huge and if your coins fall out of your pocket and the chances are good that they could. They will be pretty much lost forever. I'd think just a tape recorder if you're bad at taking notes and maybe a decent sized note book.

Personally I pack very light. I bring A deck of cards (just in case), and a pad of paper and pen for lecture note taking. I'm usually there to learn or mingle, not perform.

If you are working on something and you know the creator will be at the con you may want to bring along that something. Nothing beats some personal hands on 1 on 1 advice on how to perform or execute someone's effect especially when the creator is there in person to advise you!

Also if you are working on some new untested material bring that too. Cons are great opportunities to get new thoughts, ideas, and presentations out in front of people and get some well needed feed back and criticism!

Just remember to pack light, and resist the temptation to encumber yourself. This is more for your comfort than anything else. You don't want to lose anything!

Cheers, and enjoy the con!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
just bring a lot of money for the dealers room....hehe

Hahaha I have a good idea of what I'm looking for. Not the least of which is an awesome Piff the Magic Dragon T-shirt.

images

Do you need to bring cash to dealers usually? Or will a credit or debit card work?

Jan 18, 2011
oh and another thing goatears...be prepared to stay up super late. ive been to a lot of conventions, i live here in vegas. a lot of the real good stuff happens after the lectures and all that, at the lounges, bars, empty hallways from between 1am through about 6am...how long you gonna be in town for?

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
oh and another thing goatears...be prepared to stay up super late. ive been to a lot of conventions, i live here in vegas. a lot of the real good stuff happens after the lectures and all that, at the lounges, bars, empty hallways from between 1am through about 6am...how long you gonna be in town for?

Sunday night to Thursday morning, I hear a lot about these late night jam sessions, sounds awesome :)

Jun 26, 2009
As everyone said, Yes, be prepared to stay up very late. and i mean VERY VERY late. At magic con i stayed up to at least 2 am jamming with Dani DaOrtiz and Christian Engblom. Best night of my life. Also, bring cash. Most dealers prefer it. But don't overspend. Most dealers things are very tempting but you can hold back ;).

Anyway have fun at IMX!

-zach

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'd take at least $200-300 in cash to spend. Always check out all of the dealers and avoid "IMPULSE" purchases. Remember: The dealers are there to make money, they are pushing their product and many times you will feel the pressure to make a purchase but you have the power to walk away and think about it and come back later. This was very hard for me years ago and within the first hour I as out of all of my money and didn't have anything left to buy lecture notes and DVDs from the lecturers.

As many said, pack light. You don't want to haul around lots of items and be dropping things. Maybe a small note pad and pen, deck of cards, your phone and wallet. Take notes from the lectures and most of all NETWORK with other guys. This is a huge benefit of conventions. Oh yeah...HAVE FUN TOO!

Be friendly and check your ego at the door. I hate guys who think they are way above everyone else.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Have a check list of the items you brought with you. Because when you travel it is possible to misplace something important when you are packing up in a hurry. Also I would suggest having a short list of the Lectures and Dealers you want to check out, this SHOULD hopefully prevent you from spending all your money on things you will probably never use.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results