Feeling Uncomfortable

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
I just got a question about coming up with ideas for moves. Someone asked what they should do after executing "The Werm", and where to potentially go to expand the move. Just something I wanted to share.

I think the best thing to do if you want to be different is forget all the moves you know. When first starting, the most important thing is to build a solid foundation. You need to be able to execute a wide variety of moves of all disciplines for sake of reference. Reference helps in terms of heading toward the right (original) direction.

In order to be truly original, I think you need to focus on what you're doing and get out of the habit of conventional thinking. It's too comforting to start at z-grip or at the Werm - you do it because you're good at it. That's a mistake. No one can be good at something that hasn't been done before.

Here's how I see a variation. Essentially what you're doing is standing in line like everyone else trying to make their interpretation of another clay model. You shouldn't stand in the same line like everyone else is but rather, try to create your OWN substance - NOT another clay model. If you feel comfortable with your starting grip, chances are, you're going to create another variation of the same thing with your own spin. If that's your thing, that's totally cool. It works for some people. For myself, I really emphasize feeling uncomfortable when creating. I need to feel new - like I'm beginning all over again. Otherwise, I'm not creating anything new if I feel great comfort. Cardistry isn't like magic whereby a variation can ultimately lead to near perfection of an effect. Cardistry is more like a painting and a variation is the same as changing a color within the frame or some other minute detail that most onlookers won't even notice.

Always ask questions, be skeptical, create your own substance and don't be afraid to drop cards. If you're not dropping cards every single day of your life, you're not getting any better. Keep challenging yourself. Most importantly, stay away from "Werm" variations!

Last edited by a moderator:

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Couldn't agree more Andrei. Forcing yourself into (and through) unknown territory is the path towards success. ;)

That being said, creating variations can be an effective way of finding unique little pieces can be used later on in other creations.

Alvin Herp

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2012
Vietnam
Hi Andrei. Special thanks for this thread. I drop tons of cards everyday. I'm the kind of cardist that doesn't like learning moves, but creating themselves. So is it good or bad? Every time I practice a few moves that I've learned, just a few, I spend time afterwards trying to do the 'impossible' moves that's been on my mind. I don't have the "solid foundation" that you've said, I must admit. So do you think that I should practice what I've learned and learn moves, or just keep on practicing and playing around with my ideas? Thank you :)

Andrei

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas
www.youtube.com
Hey Alvin, I think creating moves for the sake of creating is awesome - it always helps to exercise creativity. Coming up with those "impossible moves" is also a good exercise. A big foundation simply helps with reference to what's out there and makes for more versatile cardistry if you want to perform for others. It also helps you learn/perfect moves quicker. Either way, I think it's important to expand horizons no matter what you're doing. :)

Alvin Herp

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2012
Vietnam
Thank you Andrei. I don't really like learning moves 'cause I only learn what I like. That's why I want to create. I come across new ideas everyday, but turning them into moves is really hard. And turning "impossible" into possible is much more harder. So thank you again. I think I'm gonna learn some new moves in order to strive for the more versatile cardistry :)

Jul 2, 2011
Another mistake people make is that they are too mainstream.

Since we're using the Werm as an example, I'll use that too. Almost ALL of the Werm variations you see involve making a shape of some kind after the display, whether it be a 3D structure or just a shape. One of the better variations or combos in Werm on Crack, by David, and the one by Sebastian. They work not on the display of the Werm, but how to get there.

That teaches us that you can work on all parts of a move, not only it's main part, or display.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results