Sleeping Issues

Jun 14, 2012
California
hey you guys punk here and honestly this has nothing to do with magic but it would be nice for some advice on the matter, my parents have chosen now of all times to get our roof replaced and sadley due to my manic depression im not able to take sleeping medicine because my doctor says it over stimulates my brain and i will either sleep longer or get very angry, i wanted to know if anyone had any home remedy's that maybe there grandmothers or mom's have given them through the years, im sorry for the long run on paragraph but any help would be nice the roofers are loud and ive had 4 hours of sleep in two days, and due to the size and location of our house it could take something between two to three weeks, anyone with some advice id be greatly thankfull

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Something that helps me relax that I have done for as long as I can remember is to think of a magic problem and start to run possible solutions through my head. It relaxes me and often enough I come up with a solution after a couple nights of contemplation.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I've never heard of Docs saying such a thing over that sort of disorder but ask them about Xanex as well as Sonata. . . I use both and they do help. The other thing is to get melatonin at your drug store but plan on getting a very full night's sleep if you use it and too, you may have a slight hang-over the next day for about an hour or so.

The route I'd take first though is using things like Chamomile & Sleepy Time tea along with a warm bath. . . maybe candle lite, soft (classical) music (or nature sounds). . . just let yourself relax and get quiet.

I have horrid insomnia. . . this past week I've probably had less than 12 full hours of sleep. . . that's about 90 minutes a night which isn't exactly fun to deal with. I use every trick I can find, leaving the meds as a last resort, I'm on so many already I really try to avoid taking anything extra.

Hope you the best.

May 5, 2012
hey you guys punk here and honestly this has nothing to do with magic but it would be nice for some advice on the matter, my parents have chosen now of all times to get our roof replaced and sadley due to my manic depression im not able to take sleeping medicine because my doctor says it over stimulates my brain and i will either sleep longer or get very angry, i wanted to know if anyone had any home remedy's that maybe there grandmothers or mom's have given them through the years, im sorry for the long run on paragraph but any help would be nice the roofers are loud and ive had 4 hours of sleep in two days, and due to the size and location of our house it could take something between two to three weeks, anyone with some advice id be greatly thankfull
Hi there.

I find that motion sickness pills make you fell drowsy and help you sleep.
Hope this helps

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Whenever I have problems with sleep, I pick up a bottle or two of this stuff. All natural ingredients, you can find it in the organic section of your local grocery store. Read the label first though, I believe it says you shouldn't have more than 2 bottles in 24 hours. It relaxes me and I'm able to get a good night sleep.

Attachments

• Marley’s-Mellow-Mood-Drink.jpg
    Marley’s-Mellow-Mood-Drink.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 40

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sleep hygiene is a process. I advise avoiding substances that help you sleep (Like medications or booze), because it'll make you dependent or alter how you sleep.

Personally, I have some things I do to help regulate my sleep. First, the only thing that happens in the bed is sleep (Or intimate relations). Don't read anything interesting, don't watch any TV or movies that excites you, don't listen to music that works you up, etc when trying to sleep. Do your best to go to bed about the same time every night, and get up about the same time every morning.

When my insomnia gets bad, I usually use self-hypnosis. I lay in bed, looking up at the ceiling. In the air, I imagine numbers counting up slowly. I basically imaging each number semi-large, glowing softly. It fades into existence, then out of existence. Each number should appear on an inhale (Which should last for about 4 seconds) floats for a moment (hold breathe for 4 seconds) and then fades out on an exhale (4 seconds). You can also do some relaxation exercises first, such as laying flat, then tensing every muscle for a couple moments. Then, as you exhale, let your muscles go limp and imagine yourself relaxing further and further, starting at the toes and working upward slowly.

Another thing I can do sometimes is basically jump-starting my REM cycles by visualizing things. Sometimes I just make up stories and imagine them like a movie, sometimes I just visualize a move I'm working on or whatever else. I make a point of relaxing my body, then close my eyes and just imagine whatever it is. I usually end up waking up several hours later.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
Having spent much of my 20s with depression fueled insomnia, I can only offer experience.

Routine.

I would play Quake 2 with my brother then watch a movie in bed. When it became a routine then it began to work, despite running contrary to most everyone's advice. The game received my negativity. We added comical mods that had He-Man fighting Optimus Prime. The movie came from a limited pool of things to watch. It all became very routine and getting some sleep after was easier.

Someone else might say that a quiet, candle-lit room with some Enya played at low volumes might work. If that person enjoys candles and Enya then it's absolutely true for the other person.

Would you feel hypnotized or frustrated by practicing a simple card move for 30 minutes? What could you do every night that would put you in a relaxed zone?

Routine was ultimately what worked for me in that situation. The exact routine should be personal to you. This may not be much help if you need the sleep right now, but it got me through.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Routine was ultimately what worked for me in that situation. The exact routine should be personal to you. This may not be much help if you need the sleep right now, but it got me through.

That is a very good point. A routine where you fall asleep at the end will eventually just get programmed into your brain and when you do that routine you'll fall asleep.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results